It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Sales Tax Or An Income Tax?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I'm contemplating a relocation to either Oregon or Washington state, and I can't decide if I'd take Oregon's lack of sales tax (but outrageous income tax; one of the highest in the nation) over Washington's lack of income tax (but a solid sales tax). I hate taxes altogether but since I have to bear one of them, which one should I choose? Like voting for a politician, which do you think is the lesser of two evils?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ForeverDusk

prob sales tax as the less you buy the less you pay and Income tax sucks
edit on 22-8-2011 by jonco6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
It's an interesting question. Not sure whether I'd let it be a deciding factor in where I lived. But if it is for you, I guess you might ask yourself, which will you personally be spending more money on: state income taxes or consumption taxes? Just make a rough estimate of your expected yearly outlays and run it through both equations and you will get a nice bottom-line dollar figure that should help you make your decision.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
avoid income tax over sales tax. however, the pci would be also an important factor to you if the sales tax is.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I am relocating to Florida when I leave my job in a few weeks. I have chosen sales tax only over Virginia's income tax, sales tax, and annual property taxes. Florida's counties have property taxes, but only on land/homes. I hate that also, but do not see anyway to avoid it.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ForeverDusk

It really depends on your tax situation. You are allowed to deducted either state/local sales tax or state/local income tax, but not both on your federal return. You must itemize deductions, however, to get this benefit. If you want to claim the sales tax deduction you'll need to save receipts of course.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Always pick state sales tax over state income tax. At least you know that sales tax is going to the local government before it goes anywhere else. I've lived in all three types of places before (both, income tax, sales tax) I love not haveing a state income tax. One less thing to worry about at tax season and the local economy seems to compensate for sales tax so everything is proportional.

top topics

join