It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Security Disability Insurance on Brink of Insolvency

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Actually SS will be doing just fine if it wasn't been looted by our own government.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Interesting topic,and mix of responses.

I recently started drawing on my Social Security. I worked,hard,all my life,from a very early age,and at times,paid more in taxes than I brought home for all my efforts.Never complained,never minded helping support this country and it's citizens. Still don't. Yes,there are leaches draining the system. I do mind that,just like anyone does. Anymore,the things I think I know about where we are headed keep me awake at night,worrying about where I'll wind up if/when my SSI is taken from me. It's literally all I have to keep a roof over my head. I do not feel shame in being a recipient,as I said,I worked hard and paid my share toward it. The fact that TPTB do whatever they want with OUR money,money WE set aside for times where we can no longer bust a$$ to support ourselves makes me angry on a level I am not comfortable with. It proves to me once and for all that there is no agency to advocate for American citizens,that cares at all whether we live or die,and that everything I believed about my security and what I was working towards for the times of my life when I could no longer work to support myself,has been a lie. I feel like a fool. My children are young adults,and my heart breaks for them for what I know is ahead for all of us. Because just like 'I' did,they,too,are working hard under an illusion.

There are times I wish I could have managed to save enough money when I was younger so that I could leave and go elsewhere. Switzerland sounds good.

Wish I'd started my day off better..reading all this kinda ruined my morning. Oh well. And on we go

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Someone already just made a thread about this.

Social Security disability on verge of insolvency
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 22-8-2011 by simone50m because: edit

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by ldyserenity

Actually SS will be doing just fine if it wasn't been looted by our own government.

Those I mentioned are looting it, too. Giving it to certain types of people leads to abuse, Disability is really supposed to be for people who cannot work at all due to extreme or severe physical or mental disease or deficiency, not mild ones and they need someone else to provide all their needs that is why there is a "benifactor" this is what is intended with disability. To provide for the caring of someone who cannot care for themselves entirely, but yeah the government steals from it and also opened the door to those who would abuse the system. It's a combination of both, actually. If they stopped stealing the money for these crap wars right now, today, it can be saved, also they need to stiffen guidelines for eligability, this would also save it.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
What is unbelieveable Is I actually know of some heroin attacks that get social security disability because they are addicts. I know a man who is 46, he went over a year without a job so he started seeking mental help and ended up getting the social security disability benefits for having depression. Yes they need to filter through the claiments and clean that entire system.
One year ago september 19th my sister passed away. SHe was 50, had been diagnosed with cancer in her chest 2 1/2 years prior to her passing away. She never got the help and the cancer she had could had been cured with the proper treatments.
edit on 22-8-2011 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

EDIT to add: she had applied for social security disability jsut after being diagnosed, never got it
edit on 22-8-2011 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

The government is trying to cut what it can from their budget.
The disabled are an easy target.
After they cut them off and let them starve or let them die because of no medical care, do you think they will stop there?
Maybe they will go after retirement next, that will be another easy target for them.
The government is like a pack of wolves going after the weak and old to thin out the flock, and some seem to agree with them and even cheer them on.
Doesn't it make you good to live in such a great country with honest politicians.
edit on 22-8-2011 by irgust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by irgust

and some seem to agree with them and even cheer them on.

And those types don't stop to think that their own loved one or themself, will be next for the cattle car train, somewhere down the way.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Qouth The Raven

Well by the time you retire SS retirement age is been pushed to 70, is been talks for years to do that in congress.

Also from that SS check you will be deducted money to keep paying for Medicare, my parents are deducted 200 each a month in PR for Medicare.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by irgust

Actually if the health care reform goes the way it is, Medicare will be cut, but at the same time it will be made to cover more people under new guidelines, so I wonder what kind of doctors of care can you get with less money.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I don't know of anyone who is abusing the disablity system at all. I don't have aquintances or friends like that. I am on disablity myself and even with a Master's degree can't work full time or even get hired. I do work part time however I can take care of myself but without the disablity money I would be on the streets.
It is a whole process to get qualified for disablity and many people get turned down. You have to get a psyhical, have a psych evual. They have to look at your job history, how much money you have in the bank, the even asked me for references, you have to fill out a ton of paperwork. They ask you questions like how does your disablity interfere with your life and if it does not match up with what they found by researching your mental/pyshical health and all the other information on the form a person does not get it.
I feel people who have serious mental health issues that interfere with their lives should get disablity. In many cases that I have seen and I used to work on a crisis line for 3 years; the people who were on disablity for mental issues could not work with severe accomendations. Many of those worked at a workshop or not at all. My sister has a friend who has severe bipolar and while she has medications it took a long time to adjust them for her just to function 60% of the time. She used to be in and out of the mental hospital a few times a month. Jobs are not understanding at all and laid her off because she was sick too often. Employers do not like it when an employee calls in sick ever and when they demand a drs note and do not even offer insurance it becomes almost impossible.
For me I got sick 2 or 3 times a week and it was only because I catch everything from a virus to a cold.
Social Security disablity should not be insolvent because people have paid into the system. To me this sounds like the government is admitting they raided those funds.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Medicare will be cut? Are we talking about the voucher system? I have done some research and not sure how that works. I have medicaid and that covers my medicare expenses.
Why in this bad economy are the weakest and poorest getting the short end of the stick. After all we also pay into Medicare. There is a Medicare tax on your check.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The Government looted the funds, it has nothing to do with fraud. Most people that I've talked to who receive SSDI are in need of those benefits to survive

Bernanke giving away trillions in corporate welfare. Billions being spent weekly on war. That's where that money went

It's time for jailings, lynchings, and public trials. Not in any necessary order.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
In other words..its ok for them to pay NO taxes
That's somewhat of a misnomer.

If they work for a company that has to pay taxes without the IRS immediately jumping on them, and are supposed to have social security numbers on all employees, they'll have false social security numbers on the illigal workers, and they'll take taxes out of their paychecks. Usually the illegals come from a hiring firm, so there's 2 companies responsible for what the Government gets--that's to side-step benefits like insurance. This happens in the shipyards down here--remember, if they are hiring a lot of illegals, they don't want to alert anyone with documentation that there needs to be a search of the yard. (As in: "Hrm, these guys only have 10 workers in their multi-million dollar welding facility paying taxes from their checks.") Generally, illegals will not file their taxes, so whatever was garnished stays in the system. (Brings too much attention to themselves.) So technically, there's a lot of people living off the blood sweat and tears of people who shouldn't even be here. As it is, there's no way to get around sales taxes. These guys send both cash and items home.

Is there a lot of them that don't pay taxes? Sure, often when they are paid cash. But you endanger your comany to not seem to be playing by the rules when it comes to paperwork.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Well by the time you retire SS retirement age is been pushed to 70, is been talks for years to do that in congress.

Also from that SS check you will be deducted money to keep paying for Medicare, my parents are deducted 200 each a month in PR for Medicare.

Hmmm. I don't get Medicare. Also,I see no deduction from the amount I get. Interesting. I'll have to check into this. Maybe things vary state to state? I can't work anymore,have advanced acute arthritis..a degenerative bone disease..need knee replacement surgery etc. Blows.I wish I could work,trust me. Ugh..this whole thing has my mind in a twist.

The best advice I can give everyone young and just getting going in life is to save and invest every spare cent you can. Wish I'd have. Hindsight is always 20/20..Foresight,not so much. Pretty blurry right now.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

What is going to be cut is under the overall nations budget funding for the Medicare. Now I can not understand how the health care reform can expand Medicare while cutting funding.

The new appointed panel to work on reducing the national deficit is the one that will come out with ways to cut programs add taxes and do whatever to achieve a 2.4 trillion cut to the national deficit without more money printing and bailouts.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Yes I believe it has to do by state as Puerto Rico from where my parents are from a Commonwealth wealth of the US have free universal health care.

But my parents get a deduction of 200 dollars each from SS, my husband parents also get this, sadly the illegals comes from all over the rest of the Caribbean islands to get free health care in PR contributing nothing but still my parents and my husbands parents get their SS deducted.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Yes I believe it has to do by state as Puerto Rico from where my parents are from a Commonwealth wealth of the US have free universal health care.

But my parents get a deduction of 200 dollars each from SS, my husband parents also get this, sadly the illegals comes from all over the rest of the Caribbean islands to get free health care in PR contributing nothing but still my parents and my husbands parents get their SS deducted.

That is just wrong in my opinion! So,even tho in the commonwealth health care is universally "free",people are paying $200.00 a month,from their SSI? Doesn't sound free to me,it sounds like yet another rip off to perpetuate the illusion OF free. At $400.00 a month,I could buy some really great insurance over here..as it is,I'm uninsured and pay for everything out of pocket,which is empty most times. Ugh.

Gods what a messed up system!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

It is a mess but people are given the word, Free and they think everything is peachy, but my parents knows is a big piece of bull crap.

Specially when illegals get to have free healthcare and pay nothing.

Be glad that in your state you don't have to pay for that.
edit on 22-8-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
How many people do you personally know that are abusing disability?

I know 10. It's an epidemic in America. Cut them off, why should I work my butt off in the thick of a bad economy so you can have 51 out of 52 weeks off due to asthma? I'll work till I die for my wife and kids (I have no kids and I'm unmarried but the fact is true).

If you're a person faking your disability and taking my tax dollars I have to contribute each paycheck, good riddance.

To anyone with sore knee's or sore back's that will flame me for saying your leaching off the system, I'm not there yet. The rate at which I have to slave to pay for your benefits will lead me right where you are.

It sucks.

I know six people, who are actually friends/relatives. But then I know of their friends and their family members, etc....so I get what you're saying. Some are abusing alcohol/and or illegal and prescription drugs so I would agree that it's frustrating to see. Heck, you can get disability for being an addict and though it seems unfair, I still wouldn't want to be in their shoes just to get a measly check and live in low income housing. I don't think the system was intended for this somehow. I'm not surprised to hear the money could run out soon. Not surprised at all. And then what?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

Social Security Disability Insurance on Brink of Insolvency

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON -- Laid-off workers and aging baby boomers are flooding Social Security's disability program with benefit claims, pushing the financially strapped system toward the brink of insolvency.

Applications are up nearly 50 percent over a decade ago as people with disabilities lose their jobs and can't find new ones in an economy that has shed nearly 7 million jobs.

New congressional estimates say the trust fund that supports Social Security disability will run out of money by 2017...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Sucks for the people that are on SSDI.

You can thank the Banksters for imploding the ecomony. They stole it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join