It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your 'Theory of Everything'?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Life is just filled with questions...

I often find myself trying to understand 'everything', it is fun, but it drives me to the edge of insanity, as I can't really find answers to endless questions that I have. Many people don't ask questions anymore, and just think they have 'everything' figured out, and no longer need to more ask questions. However, I think that there is much more that we should be asking. Furthermore, I think that eventually, all of these questions will eventually lead us to one answer. Or, we'll eventually ask a question that is the key to everything.

These are just some random questions that always come to me when I'm going on adventures throughout my imagination, I'm sure some of you may have had similar thoughts:

What is the root of all energy?
What is the root of life?
When life came about, was it supposed to serve a purpose?
Does the human race have a purpose?
Is everything aware?
What gives us the ability to ask questions?
Are we the only ones?
Why do we ask questions?
Why do we evolve?
In belief that a God exists, does God evolve?
Will people evolve in heaven?
Are we all capable of eventually being Gods?
What is evolution?
Does evolution eventually come to a stop?
Is there a Holy Grail in evolution?
Is computing the Holy Grail?
Does time eventually come to a stop?
Are we a computer program?
Are we just an idea, of some supreme being?
Is there more to all of this than meets the eye?
We can manipulate, but can we actually create?
What will happen to energy once it is all used up?
Are we trying to solve for X, and X doesn't exist?
Is this all a test? If so, wouldn't that mean an answer exists?
Will death give us the answer?
Is death the answer?
Does it all actually matter in the end?

So, I'm curious to see what you think...

What are some of your questions? What are some of your answers?

What is your 'Theory of Everything'?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
im sure I read about a 'golden mean'?

'many ancient astronaut theorists believe' there's just one formula that governs everything.

considering we're all made of mostly thin air anyway, i guess anything is possible.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

answer to EVERYTHING???

=

GOD,

honestly...
edit on 22/8/2011 by shaneR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
We have some pretty good ideas about that. en.wikipedia.org...
Yes, our own.
Are we the only ones?
Doubtful.
Why do we ask questions?
Method of acquiring missing information.
Evolution has no design goal, so no.
en.wikipedia.org...
Would that change anything?
What meaning would that concept have from our perspective?
Yes. New discoveries are made every day.
define: create.
en.wikipedia.org...
Huh?
There is the other kind of test where you just want to see what will happen.
It takes away the ones we already had.

No. It matters in the during.
edit on 22-8-2011 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Tearman

I applaud you for putting this much work in this response.

Maybe your purpose is to teach lol!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
When you really boil it all down, it comes down to women in the end.

No, I'm serious. All the significance in my life comes from my interactions with women. They motivate men to do just about everything they do.

As for the "bigger picture," I don't think the question of meaning applies after you hit a certain scale. "Meaning" is a human concept, and only applies on a human scale. We don't even know the limits of the cosmos so it remains undefined. As long as it is undefined, we can't even begin to talk about its possible purpose.

So, in the meantime, the question of meaning all comes down to women. That's a nice, human-scale lodestone around which to orbit yourself.
edit on 8/22/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
System of Truth
edit on 22-8-2011 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
We all know the answer to everything, it's been said a million times here and will be said a million more.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
reply to post by Tearman

I applaud you for putting this much work in this response.

Maybe your purpose is to teach lol!
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic because my answers were brief. I think I made some pretty good points nonetheless.

Now for some of my ultimate questions.
--
a) What is intelligence? Does it really exist? Is it no more than a collection of tricks, or is there s magic bullet that solves the general problem of intelligence?

b) Will we survive an encounter with an extraterrestrial intelligence?

c) Will we ever have direction for our civilization? Will we have a goal system that makes sense and is worthwhile?

d) Are there other universes and how weird can they be?

e) Where are the mega intelligences we predict should have spread throughout the cosmos by now? How many Hypotheses plausibly explain their apparent absence? (a.k.a the Fermi Paradox)

f) Considering the existence of civilizations within the universe, is there a scenario in which it makes logical sense to cooperate with other civilizations? Does it make more sense to shoot first and ask questions later?

g) Is communication with extraterrestrials fundamentally possible? Or can we only communicate with those who understand our codes? Semiotics: www.aber.ac.uk...

h) Will the machines that inherit our civilization be friendly? Or are we making a critical error in basing learning computer design on brain neurology?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
oh and...

deserves a special mention, no?

edit: beaten to the drop!
edit on 22-8-2011 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Tearman

i gave him a star, this isn't sarcasm either x

seriously good post!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Tearman

Not being sarcastic.

I know how much time it takes to make a post like that. I don't bother myself but I know how much trouble it is.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

My Grand Unified Theory of Explaining Every Damned Thing is quite beautiful in its simplicity, I believe. I can in fact, boil it down to one simple thing....

Cthulhu.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
One day in the distant future, a generation of humans may exist 'we would probably not recognise them as human' They will have become so technologically sophisticated that they have complete control and understanding of all physical aspects of life, time and space.. That generation may uncover some profound truth about the nature of reality and its true meaning. what that truth may be is impossible to know and probably far beyond our understanding today. Lets hope they retain enough human qualities to look back on all the generations that came before them and say we did this for them as well as ourselves. Thats what I believe our purpose is as a species at least.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
What is the root of all energy?- Me
What is the root of life? - Me
When life came about, was it supposed to serve a purpose? - Nope
Does the human race have a purpose? - Nope
Is everything aware? - Nope
What gives us the ability to ask questions? - Me
Are we the only ones? - Nope
Why do we ask questions? - Because I'm doing introspection.
Why do we evolve? - Because my imagination is brilliant
In belief that a God exists, does God evolve? - Yes, I evolve him into a bigger concept with my imagination.
Will people evolve in heaven? - It's a concept.
Are we all capable of eventually being Gods? - I'm already capable.
What is evolution? - A process in which something passes by degrees to a different stage.
Does evolution eventually come to a stop? - It never does, the imagination is eternal.
Is there a Holy Grail in evolution? - Nope, just eternal changes.
Is computing the Holy Grail? - Nope, just existing.
Does time eventually come to a stop? - Yes, when I cease imagination.
Are we a computer program? - Yes, all is on a program called imagination.
Are we just an idea, of some supreme being? - Yes, of me.
Is there more to all of this than meets the eye? - Nope.
We can manipulate, but can we actually create? - Nope, only me through my imagination.

Energy cannot be destroyed only changed/transferred. This is the second law of thermodynamics.

Are we trying to solve for X, and X doesn't exist? - Maybe
Is this all a test? If so, wouldn't that mean an answer exists? - No test.
Will death give us the answer? - No.
Is death the answer? - No.
Does it all actually matter in the end? - No.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
The mathematica nature of the "Theory of everything" has now been discovered.

Only it is NOT a theory!

As you will discover for yourselves if you spend the next few months assimilating the revelations about the mathematical interface between religion and science presented at:
smphillips.8m.com...

Who needs theories and conjectures when mathematics enables one to transcend their limitations?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tearman.....

Thanks for your responses.

You should know, I will always have more questions.

But I'll try to refrain from that.

We have some pretty good ideas about that. en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks for bringing this up. Have not heard of it.

Yes, our own.

Would that apply to any species, you think? Are we all just working for our own benefits? I guess it seems like a plausible explanation why a species would go extinct. Just thinking individually, until eventually you end up on your own, and something eats you.

Are we the only ones?
Doubtful.

I guess it's plausible. We've only evolved on earth for 3.8 billion years. If some life form was created closer to the time of the beginning of the universe, it's safe to say, that with 10 billion more years of evolution under their belts, they'd know a bit more than we do. It's just weird that we haven't noticed any of this yet.

Why do we ask questions?
Method of acquiring missing information.

So it's pretty safe to assume we will always consume. Until we're gone, that is. Heh..

Evolution has no design goal, so no.

Seems to me like everything wants to be perfect. I guess we're chasing our tails. Heh..

en.wikipedia.org...

I guess it's fair to say it's only a matter of perspective.

Would that change anything?

For some people, it would.

What meaning would that concept have from our perspective?

The universe just reminds me a lot about the mind. Always expanding and all.

Yes. New discoveries are made every day.

What I mean is, is this whole thing an illusion. Are we seeing what we want to see, or are we seeing what something else limits us to see.

define: create.

From a human standpoint. Can we actually create something out of nothing. Have we broken the rule of conservation of mass, or are we just playing with the sand that was given to us. It's just bizarre that the universe is expanding, all while nothing can be created.

en.wikipedia.org...

So all energy will eventually convert into something else. I guess the holy grail in energy would be for it to recycle itself.

Huh?

Are we trying to trying to find something that isn't there. E.g. Chasing our tails.

There is the other kind of test where you just want to see what will happen.

That would suggest something created this test. Which, to me, seems plausible. No doubt that we're just lab rats.

It takes away the ones we already had.

Assuming we kept them to ourselves. I'm referring more to 'the answer'. That answer we all seem to be striving for in life. It just seems the only logical way of knowing, will be to enter the unknown.

No. It matters in the during.

The end of something, to me, seems necessary to move forward, otherwise it served to purpose in the first place. I was leaning more towards the notion that, when the universe, all that we know to exist, comes to an end (which it must, right?), will that matter. If this was all that ever existed, I'd say it didn't matter.

And forgive me if many of my answers seem to be nonsense. I have a tenancy of understanding things in general terms without really diving deep into things. Typical high school dropout attitude.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tearman...

Now for some of my ultimate questions.
--
a) What is intelligence? Does it really exist? Is it no more than a collection of tricks, or is there s magic bullet that solves the general problem of intelligence?

This is something I've always wondered as well - how it's defined. I've always wondered, if all lifeforms have intelligence, to some extent. The question is, where did they get it from in the first place... And why. It seems the universe would be better off without intelligence. But then we're at that same conundrum of 'what is it'.. It could be everywhere. Who knows.

b) Will we survive an encounter with an extraterrestrial intelligence?

I wouldn't worry about it. They're likely so far ahead they won't care, or so far behind we won't care. If, in fact, we find them to exist.

c) Will we ever have direction for our civilization? Will we have a goal system that makes sense and is worthwhile?

Doubt it. I wrote a post a recently about unity, and how we'll never come to find it. If 2 people can't work along the same path, what makes anyone think 6+ billion people would. Even if you were the last one left, you'd be fighting with your own conscience.

d) Are there other universes and how weird can they be?

Hard to say.. I believe though, there was some mention about it recently. Not sure exactly what I heard though.

e) Where are the mega intelligences we predict should have spread throughout the cosmos by now? How many Hypotheses plausibly explain their apparent absence? (a.k.a the Fermi Paradox)

As I asked before, about us being an 'idea'.. I think it's possible we're just figments of something's imagination. Other galaxies could explain other 'ideas'. The expanding of the universe could explain the expansion of 'knowledge'. The death of certain things could explain information being forgotten, or replaced. Etc...

f) Considering the existence of civilizations within the universe, is there a scenario in which it makes logical sense to cooperate with other civilizations? Does it make more sense to shoot first and ask questions later?

I'm sure we'd want to understand the situation, then gain control of it somehow (the main goal of humans). If we couldn't control it, and saw it as a threat, we'd probably just destroy it, if we could.

g) Is communication with extraterrestrials fundamentally possible? Or can we only communicate with those who understand our codes? Semiotics: www.aber.ac.uk...

If they were up to par with our intelligence maybe, but like I said above... They're likely so far ahead they won't care, or so far behind we won't care.

h) Will the machines that inherit our civilization be friendly? Or are we making a critical error in basing learning computer design on brain neurology?

Give a machine a weapon, load up the concept of 'fear', and we won't be seeing thing good come from it. Machines should be built to be static, but we're going in the direction of basically creating human versions of machines. Critical error.
edit on 8/22/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/22/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Thx for the thread.. My theory of everything? Well thats not really important..The reality is that the world is dying and man has destroyed the purpose of it. I believe that the world was meant to be a place to live and know God and be at peace until we leave it.
edit on 22-8-2011 by CherubBaby because: typo

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaneR
answer to EVERYTHING???

=

GOD,

honestly...
edit on 22/8/2011 by shaneR because: (no reason given)

I believe there is a god/diety/supreme being, whatever you want to call it. I just don't want to bother getting involved with religion. There are just too many ways people perceive things, and too many ways the stories have been modified over time, and I don't want to just pick some random book from the pile and dedicate my life to what it says, not even knowing the true origin of the text, other than what some guy told another guy, and so on. I'd rather just keep an open mind about everything and live with the understanding that this god is not going to change his opinions based solely on which book I am reading.

And the idea of heaven and hell just are just so blatantly fictitious and man-made I can't even bother getting worked up about them. If god really wanted to scare the living daylights out of me, he'd have been a bit more vague in his dialogue, and not have used human, worldly fears to guide my intuitions.

I know, all religions are different, just using that as an example. They all seem to have crazy edge to them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join