It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Global Economy Can Be Saved. Colonization, As A Way To Do It.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Though, there are many factors that are contributing to the eventual collapse of the global economy, many arising from poor and even traitorous stewardship of the politicians of many nations, there is only one main insurmountable problem of the current consumer based economic system. That problem is there is not, nor will there every be enough jobs for all the working age people of the world. I say there will never be because there is only so much consumer level products that can be made and it only takes a fraction of the available workforce to produce it.

Now, though this problem is insurmountable in the current consumer based system, there is a way to overcome it by changing the driving force of our economy from consumption and profit to production and service. I am not suggesting that we stop producing the gadgets and consumer goods that people enjoy, but that the production of these goods should no longer be allowed to serve as the primary economic engine of the global economy. Instead we need a greater endeavor to drive that great engine and one which is large enough to utilize and employ as much of the global production base as possible. Full scale colonization of our solar system is just such an endeavor. Colonization is a sliding scale system; there is not a set amount of workers needed to accomplish it and the more workers that are added the greater the scale of the project can be and the faster it can be completed, thereby providing a job for everyone and anyone who wants one. In addition all of the workers engaged in the colonization effort will still need food, clothing, shelter, gadgets, goods and services, thereby driving the consumer level portions of the economy and fueling the free markets in a “real” trickle down fashion.

I have read quite a few posts of members of ATS in the past suggesting that colonization is not feasible at this time and I call B. S. The only reason colonization “seems” infeasible is because, we send handfuls of people into space to build small and extremely limited junk like the I.S.S and yes I did call it a piece of junk, because humanity at is core are builders and we can build much bigger and much greater things then that overpriced and underdeveloped garbage. The fact is if we instead sent crews of hundreds and thousands into space to build a multitude of space stations and then used those stations to build a fleet of ships, colonization would not only be feasible but easily and quickly done.

Having addressed idea of colonization as a job and economic stimulus and the over all feasibility of colonization, I will now give a short overview of how it might be implemented.

First, a new legal currency should be issued by the governments of the world; in the case of the U.S. it should be issued by congress and printed by the department of the treasury, without debt and be paid either directly to the colonization workers or through newly created Public Service Corporations. The P. S. C. s would actually hearken back to the true intentions and spirit of corporations, which were originally limited temporary organizations, created not for profit but for the completion of public works, such as bridges, roads, dams and etc. Then, the colonial workers would buy goods and services disseminating the new currency throughout the economy, driving the free market and even providing profit for the non – P. S. Corporations. Finally, when the new currency reaches a point of over saturation and the risk of inflation sets in, the excess currency can be siphoned out of the economy through taxation, thereby creating a well regulated harmonious balance in the global economic system.

And, in closing I would like to point out that because, the endeavor of colonization will take decades and can use every available worker, that it could easily provide the long term growth and expansion that has long plagued the consumer based economic model, thereby ending the tragic cycles of booms and busts; bubbles and collapses.

Peace be with you.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I agree, if we, humanity, can get off of Earth before we wipe ourselves out, I think me might just have a chance.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by themessengernevermatters

Two posts in two different forums about the same thing> Just saying.................

Which one, in your opinion would be the best one for me to read?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Read them both, obviously time is not a factor as you decided to ask that question in one of the threads..so just go read the other and leave a better comment next time.

Back on topic, in order to get all the material needed to build all of these colonies, are you suggesting that they set up large scale mining operations on the different planets? Or just strip mine Earth and start over on many different planets?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I have been working and theorising with such a method, i am currently designing such a transportation device to able to launch cargo and such into space quickly, efficiently and to solve our current mineral depletion problem. The issue with colonisation is ofcourse the materials required and thus i propose a mining operation in the asteroid field. No more details of the current plan but i would love some help if you are interested

Peace brother

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
reply to post by themessengernevermatters

Two posts in two different forums about the same thing> Just saying.................

Which one, in your opinion would be the best one for me to read?

Wrong, now theres 3.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Ugh...another dreamer.

But I'll bite. Only the Russians have the rockets to reach Mars. It's very expensive to launch a kilo of anything into space, much more humans. And you're gonna need very durable spaceships (i.e. very thick metal hulls) so you're gonna need to mine a lot of metals to go space...mining?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

I am sorry that you see dreaming as such a negative event. I mean, sure everything of this planet needs initial materials, metal mining machinery are made out of metal. And yes the space mining drones and such would require alot of initial metals, but considering the return, it's more than viable.

In comparison, a comparatively small M-type asteroid with a mean diameter of 1 km could contain more than two billion metric tons of iron-nickel ore,[5] or two to three times the annual production for 2004

But again, we shouldnt dream, dreamers don't get the world anywhere. I mean people like you said man would never fly through the sky. Oh but wait... The world requires dreamers to move forward. You cannot tell me ambition is not required.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

Edit: I would actually just like to say i do not mean this half the way it comes across but its quite sad when people just hit hard on peoples aspirations and such. Also due to the high costs of sustaining human life in space, it would have to be an unmanned job.
edit on 22-8-2011 by Semoro because: Making sure no offence was taken.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

Lol bro you've been playing too much EvE Online, ITS REAL !!!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanishr

Sir i have played that game and yes i do understand =P

However i seriously think it's something we should be progressing towards, theres technology available currently that could see us with a constant network of infrastructure to send cargo and such to where ever, and then after the initial high costs, the running costs are quite minimal. Anyway, the amount of precious metals in asteroids is ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

Which would drive prices down. Which would discourage miners from mining.

Keep dreaming.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

Hehe such an insane game, im loving it back to it after a few poor months back on WoW (realised how #e it was after a few weeks at end game) Never going to play World of #craft again.

We should just train a large portion of the planet to fly hulks and have a huge mining op with mining drones, rorquals, freighters. Wait a minute...

Back to RL haha

To be honest, EvE seems to have it correct, the Gallente federation always reminds me of humans that have colonized, if you look at their stations too you can see they have greenery and massive citys and infrastructure inside their stations. (not that i see those anymore now im stationed down in 0.0) Looking forward to get home and playing it now

I think if we could somehow advance to be as advanced as the races of EvE then colonization would be a great opportunity for survival of mankind, exploring space and finding new inhabitable planets etc. The possibilities are endless really !

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It would be grossly irresponsible to even contemplate colonisation of other planets when we haven't utilized the resources on this one properly.

We should practice first by colonising the uninhabited deserts and making them productive. if we don't distribute the resources of this bountiful planet due to the corrupt, wealthy and powerful, what makes you thing it would be different on another planet?

new topics

top topics

join