It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Thinking Depopulation And Start Thinking Colonization, Damnit!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
There is a problem with overpopulation, but it is not the problem many think. The problem is not an over abundance of people or an under abundance of resources, the true problem is the improper stewardship of the land and the creeping, winding tendrils of civilization, cutting nature into smaller and smaller sections and slowly choking it to death like baneful vines. The fact is the most precious commodity on earth is the first few inches of top soil. It is this limited band of soil that is the only part good for growing and gathering food and renewable resources and humanity in it’s arrogance and stupidity covers more and more of it with lakes and rivers of concrete, asphalt and steel, completely wasting large tracts of land that could easily provide enough food and renewable resources for all.

Though one solution to this problem; and the one favored most by TPTB, is depopulation there are other much better solutions available. In fact the two simplest of these solutions is simply to move downward or upward; either, moving our buildings and infrastructure below the surface of the earth or seize our true destiny and begin full scale colonization of our solar system, which I favor over the latter.

By sending crews of hundreds and thousands into space and building first a multitude of space stations, then, fleets of ships and finally, cities on the moon and mars, we could then begin to move a large portion of our population and infrastructure off world and rehabilitate the topsoil and give room for nature to grow and thrive.

The sad fact is the solutions to the problems of humanity and the world are not difficult, in fact they are simple, we simply lack the leadership and will power to apply them.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by themessengernevermatters

Good post, I dont understand why we dont already have a colony on the moon or mars already. It kind of seems tptb would rather spend time and resorces thinking of new ways to kill one another rather than doing something that would help mankind.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be far simpler to build our structures underground and farm above the cities?

Considering the cost (per kg) to lift mass into orbit/space and then the subsequent problem of lifting supplies to maintain a orbital/lunar/martian colony, surely a terrestrial based solution would be a better option?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I will reply to your post here also!

To the poster above, yes it cost alot of money for a kg worth of Cargo on the space shuttle, $20,000 US per KG. However there are cheaper methods up to $500 US for unmanned cargo to be launched. What we have to remember currently is that humans cannot survive extreme accelerations or speeds so the space craft must accelerate in the stage of a rocket, starting still and growing faster and faster as it reaches higher and higher. If some of you are going, don't be stupid it reaches it's top speed after point X, it actually does not. Due to the fuel being burnt, the mass decreases allowing for higher speeds.

Personally i think we do need to expand into space and i would love to talk theories with alot of you. I do believe we need to establish some sort of resource operation to solve our current shortage of precious metals which will be required for colonisation and life support.

Unfortunately the reality with Colonization is that we simply do not know about human travel through space to commit to such a long term project. In the lunar missions, Astronauts experienced Z particles, still unknown to scientists of what the health effects are. Personally i do believe we need to realise we have conquered this world. Our ages of glory and expansion are over as there simply is nothing left to discover on this planet currently. However out in the stars there are simply infinite possiblities. Also! I would like to point out that there is a brown dwarf star 60 AU from the Earth, incredible if you ask me, I shall pull up the link later when i have time

Cheers

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Someone was busy writing three different threads

Some cool information here; still reading, posting now So I can finish it tomorrow. It is bed for me.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by themessengernevermatters

The sad fact is the solutions to the problems of humanity and the world are not difficult, in fact they are simple, we simply lack the leadership and will power to apply them.

There's your problem.

Seriously all our so called leaders suck ... a lot ... they do everything for them or for their friends or people who have money, and help these people get more money ... they don't care about the majority of the population. If we don't change that fast we might pass the line where we can't turn back and we will die like any other species that went extinct ...

Don't be sad though ... another species will take our place
at least i hope they will be better than us ...

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
another way to cure the topsoil would be to plant cannabis plants in the regular crops. not sure how many but i believe the U.S. agricultural dept. recommends 1 for every 100 plants. the cannabis plant re-fertilizes the soil.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlexIR

There's your problem.

reply to post by Semoro

The solution to the cost could be the space elevator of carbon nano tubes. Not to moon or mars, but into space to a bridge/freightplatform, where Freightshuttles could get it and transport it to final destination.

strength of up to 63 GPa stronger than diamond, Kevlar, or spider's silk! With a Young's Modulus of over 1000 GPa, these tubes don't bend under the pressure either.The Strength of Nanotubes

edit on 22-8-2011 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

There is a problem with overpopulation, but it is not the problem many think. The problem is not an over abundance of people or an under abundance of resources, the true problem is the improper stewardship of the land and the creeping, winding tendrils of civilization, cutting nature into smaller and smaller sections and slowly choking it to death like baneful vines. The fact is the most precious commodity on earth is the first few inches of top soil. It is this limited band of soil that is the only part good for growing and gathering food and renewable resources and humanity in it’s arrogance and stupidity covers more and more of it with lakes and rivers of concrete, asphalt and steel, completely wasting large tracts of land that could easily provide enough food and renewable resources for all.

Though one solution to this problem; and the one favored most by TPTB, is depopulation there are other much better solutions available. In fact the two simplest of these solutions is simply to move downward or upward; either, moving our buildings and infrastructure below the surface of the earth or seize our true destiny and begin full scale colonization of our solar system, which I favor over the latter.

By sending crews of hundreds and thousands into space and building first a multitude of space stations, then, fleets of ships and finally, cities on the moon and mars, we could then begin to move a large portion of our population and infrastructure off world and rehabilitate the topsoil and give room for nature to grow and thrive.

There is no such thing as overpopulation! 2/3 of the worlds surface is not even used and that's not counting the seas!

The problem is governments hiding, covering up and stealing great inventions that could turn our world upside down! Free energy is suppressed, one example of that is: Solar panels cannot have a higher efficiency then 20%!
Farming can be done in small spaces!

ATS link to farming in small spaces

Who said you need sunlight to farm? Dutch proved it's possible to do it UNDERGROUND with no sunlight whatso ever!

ATS link to dutch lab

We have so much more potential to save space and our planet, but it's being suppressed by our governments and TPTB. Since a lot of inovating patents on these subject are being "classified" and rejected by the patent agencies and others. Basicly anything that can inprove you life for less will be suppressed, like free energy, better farming, or anything that can make YOU self sufficient!

Overpopulation? LOL yeah just believe the MSM, if your borded open up Google earth and see where "population" can still live and is not being done!

There are so many possibilities, you can't even imagine, we don't need to Colonize space, we need to fix our self made problems here first. Because if we can't manage here, we can't manage anywhere else! We will destroy every planet with the way we live now.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by themessengernevermatters

I don't like either of those ideas.

We don't need to "depopulate." We should take sensible steps forward and incorporate some consideration of the earth in our plans. Limiting the number of children a family can have is as bad as limiting access to birth control for no good reason other than, 'it's against my religion." This means you think every sexual encounter should result in a live birth and are really against SEX per se, and should just admit it. SENSIBLE. COMPASSIONATE, Steps forward and we can live happy lives - right here!

And re colonization...this is all I have to say about that...!

Underground? Well... maybe an option for some as an alternative lifestyle sure, but, all the rage? NO. God no. And we don't have the money to be traveling into space right now. The people who will enjoy that is a few generations down the line and we can't even be sure they are going to enjoy it that much.
We are built for the gravity on earth if that is really what it is. Even gravity is only a theory.
Anyway I have heard that in space your body atrophies and there is no way to stop it. No matter how vigorously you exercise that is a big consideration for long term existence in space. We would lose some vigor all our muscle and perhaps in 500-1000 years end up small framed and big headed like the grays.
People already think they are us or what WE WOULD LOOK LIKE after living in space for so long. Keep that. I like running too much, I need my arms and legs.

We would be alright here building cities under domes to control the environment and leave the nature be outside unmolested by us. Indoor organic gardens are already begun in China and hydroponics. There are architects in these threads with cities planned just like that. If we simply stop our rush headlong into the future willy-nilly and pell-mell, without planning, and with emotions flying in front of brains. It is possible for these 2 to work together. Emotion and brains. One without the other is no good anyway.

Why spend money traveling now after we have trashed our earth?
Fix earth. We have more than enough dead everything to create compost and if we plant trees, we create the type of environment that after generations makes new topsoil.

Point being, we should work a little harder to get earth self sustaining, it was designed to be a reasonable habitat for us...maybe after we manage success here, THEN try our luck somewhere the conditions are not already all in our favor.

Any other plan is not responsible.

Leaving earth is like throwing away a perfectly good pair of jeans!

More like an infant saying it can do without it's mother.
In any case....There is plenty of space right here, if it is used wisely.

edit on 22-8-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

I don't understand a space elevator completely to be honest. I find it hard to believe that we would be so foolish to build something so permanent without the thoughts of it's possible effect on the world. I mean seriously? A tower spanning into space? It would have some issues lets be honest.

There are other ideas like the space monorail and fountain which are just enlarged version of the thing. And even though awe aspiring, these would get boring and ugly fast. Not to mention it limits airspace and requires a huge amount of material with little return.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

True but until we understand quantum physics alot better. And until we discover some new propulsionsystem, the spaceelevator is one of the better ideas of how you could get the tons of materials needed for the first colonies. The elevator is not build from bottom up, but is build top down from a huge orbiting platform or satelite. When your finished building your colony in one place, you could transport your elevator to another planet or moon. The day you perfect existing anti gravity technology or the elevator would be obsolete.

I agree with OP that we should make Earth self substaining as a main goal.

Once we start colonization of other planets and especially outside our solar system, you better be ready to explain yourself to "the planetary police" or you risk bitchslapping on the warmongering human race.
edit on 22-8-2011 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
depopulation will be and is a reality, i'll bet you in 75 years it will be mandatory for women to have only 1 child per country and anyone above the age of 65 must be exterminated

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I agree with the posters who have said that Earth should be fixed up pre-Colonization.
We shouldn't be stupidly optimistic enough to think that when we make a mess of this place there will be equally welcoming options for us to move onto, because a mindset like that will just result in us trashing planet upon planet and becoming space nomads so to speak.

Earth is home, it's our comfort zone and what we are specifically adapted to, and given we can keep it conditioned, there really is no reason for us to hop on to less suited environments instead.

Also, if we can't take care of our perfect environment, I doubt we will be able to take care of a far more complex system.

To the above poster: That's some really morbid stuff. I sure hope it doesn't get as bad as that.

new topics

top topics

join