It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth is on Life Support

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
And if the power runs out, this planet dies and so do we. Why?

Here's another way of looking at it. Your driving a car. The more you step on the gas, the faster you go and the quicker you get from A to B, thus being more time and fuel efficient. But traveling at higher speeds, the more likely you are to kill yourself in the case of an accident. What if your brakes suddenly went out? Woops, Game Over. Was it worth it?

There are currently over 440 nuclear power plants sitting like timebombs around the globe. The map below marks perhaps half of them, but gives a good idea of their spread worldwide.

Okay, so back to my original point. Nuclear power plants require a continuous source of electricity to maintain the cooling of hot radioactive materials. When this cooling ceases to function, you have catastrophes such as Fukushima occurring. So basically, without this safety net cooling system functioning, everything goes to hell. The tether here is electricity. What if electricity was lost world wide even for a day, say, due to large electromagnetic storms from space disrupting electronics here on Earth. Life support - OFF.

Every single nuclear plant on Earth would have a MELTDOWN. I don't even have to go into what would happen after this, It's almost too painful to imagine.

We, the human race, have sown the mechanical seeds of our own demise. Mother Earth's brand new nuclear-powered Chevrolet is travelling so fast that if the brakes snap now, we all die in the passenger seat. Who made the car? We did.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
If humans lived by being afraid of "what if's" we would never have left the cave.

I notice you offer no solutions so what do you suggest to replace them?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Excellent thread. I have been monitoring the events at Fukushima ever since the disaster in March this year.
Nuclear power plants and nuclear weapons are a curse that goeth across the whole world.

Watch the following videos concerning a prophecy that was written 2500 years ago (for those that despise the bible, please try and watch it anyway):

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The solution should be obvious, the abandonment of nuclear power.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RenegadeScholar

Well that will certainly cause alot of deaths. What with all the people with no electricity for heat in winter as well as destroying the economy since alot of areas will have no power.

Doesn't sound reasonable to me.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Why make bets when the odds are stacked against you? Be logical, find an alternate route to your goal. Maybe it will be longer, but the only quick thing about the shortcut is your painful radioactive death at the end. I don't mean to sound grim but do you get my point yet?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Nope not at all. I believe you are stating that because these have the potential of being dangerous they should not be in existence and I disagree with that. Your example of some solar flare or whatever wiping out the electricity has not been proven.

You haven't shown data that shows if a short term power loss will result in the collapse of every single nuclear reactor nor do you mention the recent massive solar activity that didn't even make a hiccup in the world.

I believe this thread is intended to only frighten people.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

I believe this thread is intended to only frighten people.

Are you serious?

Do you really think that the OP deliberately set out to cause panic?

If so, then how does somebody sound an alarm without being labelled a fear monger?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by XplanetX

Many people make posts here based on nothing more than a theory with little or no fact in order to freak people out. It's not uncommon.

Just look at all the "OMG Super Mega Earthquake Coming Tomorrow" type of threads.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

reply to post by XplanetX

Many people make posts here based on nothing more than a theory with little or no fact in order to freak people out. It's not uncommon.

Just look at all the "OMG Super Mega Earthquake Coming Tomorrow" type of threads.

...and you bundle this with all of them. Shame on you.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
If the OP wanted to properly state the seriousness of this he would have researched and presented the possible scenarios in which every single nuclear plant could face a loss of power that would cause a meltdown. He briefly mentions some solar activity that could knock everything out but doesn't state how that's possible.

He doesn't mention if a nuclear reactor immediately goes into meltdown after a loss of power or whether or not there are safety measures in place for that.

It's simply This could happen causing this...Be afraid.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

If humans lived by being afraid of "what if's" we would never have left the cave.

I notice you offer no solutions so what do you suggest to replace them?

GEOTHERMAL! WIND/WAVE/TIDE/SOLAR.

Salt Water makes fuel and lots of electtricity.

Just about everything does!

Overunity!

Water/HHO!

You name it!

Like Lauren Moret said.

No species kills its children for energy!
edit on 21-8-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

See those are possible solutions even though they are costly but they are definetly solutions.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

If the OP wanted to properly state the seriousness of this he would have researched and presented the possible scenarios in which every single nuclear plant could face a loss of power that would cause a meltdown. He briefly mentions some solar activity that could knock everything out but doesn't state how that's possible.

He doesn't mention if a nuclear reactor immediately goes into meltdown after a loss of power or whether or not there are safety measures in place for that.

It's simply This could happen causing this...Be afraid.

I am sure that you are capable of your own research.

www.youtube.com...

This has already taken place in the past but at a time when it's impact was almost harmless.

science.nasa.gov...

This is only one scenario that could cause nuclear reactors to meltdown, there are many others.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

reply to post by Unity_99

See those are possible solutions even though they are costly but they are definetly solutions.

Thanks

Lol. Sigh.

Originally posted by Unity_99
No species kills its children for energy!

Exactly. It's just so... stupid! I don't understand how people can even accept it when we can see from the past (Chenobyl, Fukushima) how these meltdowns of only a few plants have affected millions of people world-wide, not to mention the damage caused to our oceans and sea life.

But oh, we don't live in the ocean, I guess it's okay to pump our waste into it then.

To clarify, the point of this topic was to spell out the grave nature of nuclear power and the severe need for it's abandonment.

Because, if all electricity was lost on Earth, everything would die as a result of these plants. I hate to say it like this but its true. Don't be a Kro32 and focus on perceived negative aspects of my expression, direct your focus to the issue at hand in the real world, and act accordingly in your life. I hope this message gets through.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
While the thought of this is truely frightening I think this would have been something the builders considered don't you?

I've seen no research to indicate that nuclear plants are not shielded from this nor have I seen that even if they were effected that it would lead to a total meltdown.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I'm quite certain the easiest and best solution since we already have these nuclear power plants, is to have them run the cooling system off the electricity produced by the heat still decaying in the plant.

Which is possible with today's technology, although probably not when fukushima or chernobyl was built.

We spend some extra cash to make sure this event doesn't happen 3x for the same reason.

Problem solved.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I also find it hard to believe that a plant that produces electricity doesn't have fail safes for itself to keep going in the event of an emergency.

The op simply did not give us enough information to make an informed decision on the validity of his theory.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I also find it hard to believe that a plant that produces electricity doesn't have fail safes for itself to keep going in the event of an emergency.

The op simply did not give us enough information to make an informed decision on the validity of his theory.

The fail safes are generators. These would also fail in the event of a super solar flare or EMP burst.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join