It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer death. Tech help requested

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
So my computer died....

Hope someone can help out a bit...(why do they always die on a sunday)

Anyhow, the computer just shut off last night...wouldn't turn back on at all.
Today I got a new power supply (50w more than before, so underpowered is not an issue)

Now it powers up, and nothing else, no bios beep, nothing beyond fans and lights.

I did the google thing and ultimately they said its either the motherboard (took out everything and just had it running motherboard only...still no beeps or anything). Took out motherboard to make sure nothing was shorting it out..seemed alright.

So..any ideas? also, any surefire way to test a motherboard that comes to mind.,.if I need a new motherboard, I need a new mommy, but don't want to spend the dosh for something as simple as a new fan or something silly like that.

incidently, I also removed the processor and ram also...again, nothing beyond fan

Also the fans connected to mom powers down after about 15 seconds if that matters (at least it stopped fully powering off after about 20 seconds and now just fans)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
My computers usually die on me when I clean them.I usually pour some palmolive dish soap on top of the whole pc and monitor,then turn the garden hose on high,and really get that sucker clean.They dont make stuff to last anymore.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
My computers usually die on me when I clean them.I usually pour some palmolive dish soap on top of the whole pc and monitor,then turn the garden hose on high,and really get that sucker clean.They dont make stuff to last anymore.

funny you mention that actually...many a years back, I was cleaning my windows (massive windows, pan of windex and scrubbies)...and had the pan on my monitor...it of course fell, and dumped on my box.

curiously after a few days it worked again...figured it was totally dead...guess it all depends on if the smoke escapes.
Once it loses its smoke, it never runs right...hard to get the smoke back into the computer also,

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

There isn't a single computer on the planet that could take punishment like that.
Well, except maybe the new toughbooks which are virtually bulletproof and water resistant.

I hope you are joking

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
SFX my friend....

you might need some new silver thermal compound..

it goes between the processor and the heat sink on your MOBO...

try that first..

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Do you have a graphics card? If so maybe try re-seating that.

Is there hard drive activity?
edit on 21-8-2011 by aaron2209 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
How old is the computer?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Segador

There isn't a single computer on the planet that could take punishment like that.
Well, except maybe the new toughbooks which are virtually bulletproof and water resistant.

I hope you are joking
Sometimes I just run a squeegy on the moniter and pc,that usually works without the computer making really loud noises then dying out for good.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I only say this because it happened to me once and I almost had a breakdown, but you are sure you have the 12v female power cable from the PSU connected onto the 4 pronged male plug, usually near the CPU heatsink.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

funny you mention that actually...many a years back, I was cleaning my windows (massive windows, pan of windex and scrubbies)...and had the pan on my monitor...it of course fell, and dumped on my box.

curiously after a few days it worked again...figured it was totally dead...guess it all depends on if the smoke escapes.
Once it loses its smoke, it never runs right...hard to get the smoke back into the computer also,

If you drop water on your computer then I suggest you leave it off until all the water evaporates.
You cause some serious damage if you turn on a wet computer.

And to the OP, its your motherboard.
Get a new one.
edit on 21-8-2011 by Segador because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Heh, pcs' can be a real headache sometimes.

K, you already replaced your PSU so if you still get nothing I would say it is the CPU or MainBoard. There should be a small light on the MB when you have power connected to the PSU. Unless you have a Power on Self Test Card you don't have much choice but to do the process of elimination. Replace one and if thats not it relace the other.

Just had a thought, you said the fans turn for a while, do the power and HDD lights on the front of your pc light up? at all, if they do then the culprit is the probably the CPU. Keep me posted.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Pop one of those system restore cds in the cd insert.It can restore errors which make the computer think it is not functioning.You have to show your pc who is boss,otherwise your pc will walk all over you.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Pop one of those system restore cds in the cd insert.It can restore errors which make the computer think it is not functioning.You have to show your pc who is boss,otherwise your pc will walk all over you.

He wouldn't be able to without a Bios IIRC.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
SFX my friend....

you might need some new silver thermal compound..

it goes between the processor and the heat sink on your MOBO...

try that first..

DO NOT do this if you don't know what you're doing. I worked at GeekSquad and people try to do work on their computers like building their own and you'd be surprised how many people bend the pins on the cpu.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

After re-reading your post, yeah, get a new Motherboard. I dont think I finished reading it before I gave my first reply.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Segador

Originally posted by SaturnFX

If you drop water on your computer then I suggest you leave it off until all the water evaporates.
You cause some serious damage if you turn on a wet computer.

And to the OP, its your motherboard.
Get a new one.
edit on 21-8-2011 by Segador because: (no reason given)

Agreed. It's the only reason that with the memory pulled out of it, that it would not beep if it powers on, all fans start up, etc.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
It is possible that you have a bad memory chip. You could try removing them and re-seating them and if nothing replacing them with new working ones. It is common for PC's not to respond at all with bad RAM.

Thermal compound is definitely something you will also want to put on MOBO.

Other than trying the other suggestions if this doesn't work then it is most likely either a bad MOBO or your BIOS has been corrupted and needs to be re-flashed and if you don't have a floppy drive installed it can't be done. All MOBO have a failsafe for flashing a bad BIOS but you would be blind in doing so unless you can install an old legacy ISA video card and MOBO's manufactured today don't have ISA slots anymore.

Good luck!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Take some tweezers and gently pluck random hairs protuding from your nose.This can reverse the mojo and affect the karma of the pc ,ultimately extending the principles of reverse osmosis,reversing the particle damage inflicted by the molecular infrastructure of the elotromagnetic gravitation reflexology.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Take some tweezers and gently pluck random hairs protuding from your nose.This can reverse the mojo and affect the karma of the pc ,ultimately extending the principles of reverse osmosis,reversing the particle damage inflicted by the molecular infrastructure of the elotromagnetic gravitation reflexology.

Darn it!! I was Just gonna suggest that, you beat me to it.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Somewhat resolved.

The motherboard was fine after all. The issue was, during my switching around of power supplies, I dusted everything off...during which I also removed the cpu. mounting back bent a pin.
A bit of tweezer action and a magnifying glass and things seem alright...need to glue the heatsink back on the processor (have it sitting on it now and latched on.).

Also I dusted everything (my god these things get dusty) and sacrificed a chicken for good measure.

The video card is not working currently, but going to have some tech look at it later to see if its fried or if I simply sacrificed the wrong chicken sort of thing..but ya mom is working good now thank goodness. (even typing on said computer now...using stupid on-board video..bleh)

Thanks for all the responses.

Incidently, Best Buy wanted to charge 500 bucks to install a new motherboard. lol...I asked if they would just give me a screwdriver and let me install it personally in store...(in which they said they no longer carry motherboards in store anyhow). 500 bucks to install a motherboard...wtf!!! its screws...you screw things down and slot crap in...

I now hate candyland! bunch of thieves..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join