It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The tragedy of Ruby Ridge: It was 19 years ago today...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Today we remember the Weaver family, and specifically the death of Sammy and Vicki Weaver, who were killed in a prolonged seige with federal agents in Idaho, that began on August 21, 1992.

The Ruby Ridge Seige was enormously galvanizing for certain segments of the American public. It motivated thousands of people to join the militia movement in the 1990s and seemed to verify in concrete terms that the governemnt had it out for loners, eccentrics, oddballs, and survivalists. It was cited by Timothy McVeigh as one motivation for his terrorist attacks. It was a formative event in the creation of my own political consciousness.

Rest in peace Sammy and Vicky. My heart goes out to Randy and the rest of his family. And to all true patriots everywhere...as well as those who just want a little place in the woods where they can be left alone.

edit on 8/21/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Ruby Ridge and Waco, Tx. Nothing more that a bureaucrats way to gain power, control and a bigger budget! Nothing more. They care nothing for the rights of anyone nor the laws they are sworn to uphold. Specially when they use coercion and threats to get ahead and stomp on the common man and his dignity!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Randy Weaver had a federal warrant out for his arrest because he sold a sawed-off shotgun to an undercover agent, so the government had every right to arrest him and hold him accountable. Of course any agent with half a brain, knowing that Weaver was a survivalist and would normally have easy access to weapons, would have tried to arrest him when he was away from home; but that's just stupidity, nothing criminal on the part of the government yet.

My problem begins when the FBI sniper that was part of the assault force shot Vicky Weaver in the face when all she was doing was holding the door open with one hand, while cradling her infant in the other. She had no weapon and she did not pose any type of threat to the agents. Why then was she murdered in cold blood?

There was an inquiry into the shooting later. Randy Weaver was awarded one million dollars in compensation for the murder of his wife and son, but the story doesn't end there... The FBI sniper? Was he punished even though the government admitted wrongdoing when they paid Randy Weaver? Nope, he was promoted; and his next high profile assignment was in the sleepy Texas town of Waco.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I believe in the court records it was proven that Randy Weaver was told to 'CUT' the barrel of a shotgun by the ATF agent to sell to one of the militia members. He was visited by two members of the FBI three times. When he said he wouldn't cooperate he was threatened with arrest for being part of a local militia, which he wasn't. The FeeBees were trying to force him into being an informer. He was acquitted of the charge because of entrapment issues. It was one of the reasons the FeeBees were forced to pay the settlement.

Zindo

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Reply to post by OldCorp

The Feds told him to cut the shotgun just like they told those FFL's on the border to sell to k own smugglers for their "investigation."

In the end the fed never even pursued that bogus charge. Woman and children murdered, the fabric of society ripped and shredded, millions expensed in law suits and all they could ever pin on Randy was a simple failure to appear that was the government fault anyway for their inability to read a calendar. But hey that's par for the course. The gov gets a date wrong and your wife gets shot in the face and your son gets shot in the back.

Everything I've ever needed to know about the government and all it's related agents and agencies I learned 19 years ago today. They have yet to prove my conceptions wrong. Frankly, they reaffirm my conceptions everyday.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
reply to post by OldCorp

I believe in the court records it was proven that Randy Weaver was told to 'CUT' the barrel of a shotgun by the ATF agent to sell to one of the militia members. He was visited by two members of the FBI three times. When he said he wouldn't cooperate he was threatened with arrest for being part of a local militia, which he wasn't. The FeeBees were trying to force him into being an informer. He was acquitted of the charge because of entrapment issues. It was one of the reasons the FeeBees were forced to pay the settlement.

Zindo

Thank you, I wasn't aware of that.

I really don't understand what is up the government's butt when it comes to people that want to live on their own, on a mountain top or in a communal compound. The government claimed a huge cache of weapons was found in Waco; well DUHHH.... Koresh was a federally licensed firearms dealer, which is how his group earned a living. Even the empty grenade casings that led to the attack on the Waco compound were LEGAL to own.

Sometimes I think they just make snip up so they have something to do. There are a hundred million gun owners in the US - licensed gun owners - who very rarely break the law with their weapons, yet it is these people who are often targeted. If they need something to do, the feds need to get their asses down Mexico way and clean up THAT rat's nest.

Oh wait...

edit on 8/21/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Nice thread. Thanks for the reminder.

The Feds handled this one badly, par for the course for them. Just one in a long string of incidences that make me hate my government.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Check this out.My mom and uncles went to high school with randy weaver.They all liked him very much and said he was a nice guy.His father on the other hand was a religious fanatic and used to walk up and down the streets of the small town they grew up in hollering stuff out of the bible as loud as he could scream.I think Randy is a hero and am saddened by what happened to him and his family..RON PAUL 2012 BABY!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
...i dont support the notion that randy weaver was a hero or a patriot... he intentionally chose to put his wife and kids in harms way... i also dont support the actions of federal agents on that fateful day or the actions of their superiors that led up to that last day for vicky weaver and her baby... however, she too made a choice to go down that road...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
That is not true. He and his wife wanted to move to a secluded spot. They legally purchased 20 acres and built a cabin because it is where they wanted to live. He had every right to do so.

The ATF and US Marshals got involved because Weaver sold three shotguns to a friend of his who happened to be associated with the Aryan Nation. During the senate hearing, it was confirmed that the shotguns were not sawed off by Weaver. They were shortened after he sold them.

The reason he was being investigated is because he refused to become an informant in the Aryan Nations. Wanted nothing to do with the skinheads. Kept to himself. Home schooled his kids. All seemed good.

But then they tried to take him to court. He was subpoena'd to appear. He didn't show up because the letter he was sent had the wrong date on it.

The US Marshals were in the process of installing perimeter cameras around Weaver's property when the incident took place. Weaver's son, a 14-year old boy, went out to hunt with his dog. The US Marshals shot the dog because it was giving away their position and Weaver's son returned fire while running for the house. He was shot in the back and killed. A US Marshal was also killed.

As a result, all hell broke loose. All because they shot the dog.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
And Sammy and Vicky's murderers still walk free and have never been brought to trial!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Reply to post by allenidaho

"Oh no! That dog might give us away. Let's shoot it. Because a dead/dying animal and the report from a firearm will totally cover up our presence here."

They must be really proud of these specially trained agents. The same departments must app be trained to cover up a fart with two week old raccoon carcasses.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Thank you for your replies, people. I'm glad to see people still remember this and have opinions about it.

It is also important to express my sympathy for the death of Deputy US Marshal W.F. Degan. He didn't have to die there, either. Nobody should have died there.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
They are remembered by freedom loving people. As are the victims of domestic terrorism at Waco and Oklahoma City. R.I.P.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
FBI Sniper = Psychopath...

"Pschopath: Hmmm, think I'll go get another gun to add to my collection.
Gun Clerk: Hello sir, how do you fair?
Psychopath: *Thinking: Oh this oughta be good
* I am good.
Gun Clerk: That's good, what brings you to the gun shop today sir?
Psychopath: I'm an avid gun collector, joined the FBI to have some fun with guns.
Gun Clerk: Oh really? That's neat, having a job you like to do.
Psychopath: Yeah, you remember that incident at Ruby Ridge where the lady was shot in the face?

Gun Clerk: Yes, that was you?
Psychopath: Sure was

Gun Clerk: Oh, nice work....you know I think I have a nice golden desert eagle in the back you might like...."

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
basically a shameless bump..

When someone is curious why I distrust the gov, i usually have just four words.....Ruby Ridge and Waco.

Star & flag, and thx OP, do it again next year as well.

“The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth” -George Orwell

We can't allow these to be forgotten.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Reading about this makes my head hurt in an indescribable way..Makes me wonder, what the **** is wrong with the government??

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

S&F for raising awareness on this topic! Good stuff.

And, forgive me for getting a little off topic, but Damn... Rachel Weaver makes me happy in the pants! (cute, AND smart - carries herself well!)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
It is also important to express my sympathy for the death of Deputy US Marshal W.F. Degan. He didn't have to die there, either. Nobody should have died there.

I can't generate a lot of sympathy for Degan. He was a criminal following illegal orders given by other criminals.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by wasco2

Originally posted by silent thunder

I can't generate a lot of sympathy for Degan. He was a criminal following illegal orders given by other criminals.

I agree. If the Marshals/ATF hadn't approached this like another cowboy op by stomping through the forest like they were on a combat patrol out hunting the enemy, none of this would have happened. Talk about how NOT to serve a felony warrant!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join