Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Maple trees dropping leaves left and right.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I'm near Dallas and the trees here have been dropping their leaves for around 2 weeks. Bradford Pears have been hit particularly hard, some have lost all their leaves. Even many old Oaks have dropped a lot of leaves. But we've endured a brutally hot summer combined with severe drought conditions, so it's not really a surprise given the conditions. If we hit over 100 today and tomorrow (which looks like a foregone conclusion at this point) we will set the 2nd highest record for 100+ days in a year, I forget the exact number but it's something like 55. We had 40 of those in a row. It's been hell on earth here.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

I've noticed that sycamore trees here in Southeast Kentucky are dying from the top down. Did a Google search and found that experts are saying this is stress from drought. Okay, (1) my area has had a fair amount of rainfall this year, (2) these trees are right next to a good sized creek, so they should have plenty of water on the roots and, (3) this has been ongoing for at least the past 3-4 years. I would estimate that about 40% of sycamores locally are dead at the top.

As for turning leaves I've noticed that as well Trees look like late September here.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Most of my trees in my yard, are dropping their leaves, and changing colors. I personally think it is from the 40+ days of 100 degrees or more in the summer, without any rain. I live in the NW of Arkansas. Ive never seen the leaves drop this early, nor have we ever had such a hot summer, with such Low low rainfall. Kinda scary. Most of the farmers around this area, are sufferring terribly. Get ready, Food prices will be on the rise very soon, if it hasnt already started yet.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

I'm in central MN and we have a woods full of maples and they are looking normal. Still green and full and not dropping. We have had a wet summer here and everything is lush and verdant green. It has not been uncommon to see them start to change the end of August when the nights start to get colder, though. What you are describing is something I've never seen in August so I hope you can find some answers.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne
I'm near Dallas and the trees here have been dropping their leaves for around 2 weeks. Bradford Pears have been hit particularly hard, some have lost all their leaves. Even many old Oaks have dropped a lot of leaves. But we've endured a brutally hot summer combined with severe drought conditions, so it's not really a surprise given the conditions. If we hit over 100 today and tomorrow (which looks like a foregone conclusion at this point) we will set the 2nd highest record for 100+ days in a year, I forget the exact number but it's something like 55. We had 40 of those in a row. It's been hell on earth here.

I can't imagine that kind of heat for that length of time. Don't know how you all are hanging in down there but I guess you have to. Do you have A/C? I bet the electric bills down there are high. Good luck!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Isn't it called...
autumn?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Its a real mess in this area, here is a quick story for you all here.
Last Saturday we had to take bags of leaves and some garden stuff to the local compost site here in town.
We usually go twice a month or so, last time it was a normal everyday visit.
This past visit the place was packed, and the pile where you dump or de-bag your yard waste was amazing.
Middle of August and I tell you that pile was at least 50% leaves.
We usually only start seeing that amount of leaves near the end of September or later.
Anyways thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far and it is interesting to read other stories from around the globe.
Well I am heading out to do the yard once again here, no this is not a joke..

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo
Isn't it called...
autumn?

isn't that next month? the start of autumn? here in England conker trees are bearing early fruits, and not just half brown Conkers .. fully fledged brown ones . wont the kids be happy when they go back to school in september.. no because most schools here in this country ban them because of all the liberal gnobs

leaveinadarkdrawfor8monthsBox

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I've also noticed that the leaves appear to be changing colours before they detach from the trees.
They usually change from green to orange, brown, or yellow... very strange.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Though the Fukushima radiation really, really concerns me, a couple of things came to mind when reading this thread. It seems to me that fall and spring have sort of shortened or disappeared altogether in some areas. Winter comes earlier and seems harsher and summer comes earlier and seems harsher.

Second, trees begin to turn when they stop producing chlorophyll because there is more darkness due to the nights growing longer. But, to me, it seems weird that it should be so dramatic in August.

Which brings me to my third observation - the sun is just plain not right! Whether it's angle or whatever, the trees are acting funny and so are their shadows. I know that skeptical ATSers don't like to hear that but, whatever. I'm an avid gardener and for two years now the shadows across in my yard have been different and I have four foot tall perennials falling over in their desperate quest for more sunlight. In previous years they have not done this.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by Iwinder

The trees here in northern Ohio are already turning as well. Looks like a early fall and I hope a long one. I like winter but only for about 90 days and than it starts getting on my nerves...

I love winter, the cold, the gorgeous snow and so on. But this ain't normal. I've never heard in my life about leaves falling from the trees too early

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

That's so ironic. I saw the same thing today in the morning while walking to the metro to get to work. In Montreal it's happening too, nothing is falling yet, but i saw the leaves and they look kind of burned... brown color... it's starting to worry me a lot...

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by Iwinder

The trees here in northern Ohio are already turning as well. Looks like a early fall and I hope a long one. I like winter but only for about 90 days and than it starts getting on my nerves...

I love winter, the cold, the gorgeous snow and so on. But this ain't normal. I've never heard in my life about leaves falling from the trees too early

I too have never heard of this before, now that I am seeing it with my own eyes and its in the news there can be no denying the fact that this is indeed happening.
I am 50 + years old and started looking after properties here when I was 12 years old, cutting the lawns weeding etc.
Never ever have I seen anything like this.
Regards,Iwinder
edit on 22-8-2011 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I live in South East London, UK, and have noticed odd things too. Nothing obvious, but lots of small things that put together equall something bigger going on.
- a few days ago, I woke up slightly earlier than usual, and there was condensation in the window, this doesn't normally happen till September/october, and I just felt all autumnal.
- then walking to work, the horse chestnuts all looked like they were turning colour, not even mostly green, but definitely orange/yellow brown, not dropping yet.
- we had a whole load of bulbs appearing a couple of weeks ago - these should be dieing off, and laying dormant till next spring, as they flowered this year already, but they're appearing again!
- tomatos - last year, three plants, about 6 foot tall, large crop of fruit. this year, one plant 6 foot, and 3 others are now only about 1 foot tall, the larger has only 4 fruit on it, the others one between them. All things like watering and position the same as last year.
- noticably many more 'knopper' gall on our oak tree - absolutely covered it is.
- two 1 year cats acting up - they're generally very lazy cats, but for the past week they've been going nuts, very hyperactive.

not sure what it all means, and any one thing on it's own, could just be random, but all together, and loads of other small things that don't make sense to type up, but together, it's painting a wider picture of 'not quite rightness'

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

The trees in my neighbourhood are still green, lush and beautiful. That is the ironic part.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CrastneyJPR

Same here for our tomatoes, 8 scrawny plants not much taller than 3 feet. We should be eating tomatoes right now by the ton, we are looking at the latest greenest smallest harvest we have every had.
The bacon is still in the freezer and by now it should be long gone and my doctor furious with my cholesterol readings!

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I was literally just talking about this with my bud. I opened ATS, and it was the 4th thread from the top.

He is always watching the trees. He has noticed it for years. I cant help but notice it. There is a row of maples behind my house that are dropping leaves like flies.

I have called it a blight.The leaves get brown and disintegrate. I will get some pics later.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesquid

Where abouts are you located?
Just to give us an idea of how wide spread this is.
Thanks for the input,
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I live in Louisville Ky and travel to Grayson County about twice a month. Every Maple tree I have seen has been beautiful and healthy this year. Do you guys have some kind of infestation going on up in Canada?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

There is a small maple tree in this front yard here in NW Florida but it does not seem to be dropping leaves
yet. It's still hot here and I have been trying to five it some water when it's dry. Around it there is almost
no competition for water and nutrients that I can tell. We have had thunderstorms recently off and on and
lost power yesterday for several hours it seems when lightning struck a tree which hit a power line.
With the possibility of hurricanes later one and such it's a reminder of what can happen very quickly.
I think I saw somewhere that when hurricanes come through they tear down some established trees and
such making room for other kinds of seed to sprout and grow. Hope you don't lose your nice maple trees.
If there is an especially rough winter then that could damage trees as well. I saw it happen further north
where I used to live..old trees I remembered from childhood, seemed forever changed during the ice storm.
I favor the environmental explanation for the leaf droppage. Up in Alaska and Canada are not some beetles
destroying a lot of trees?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join