It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maple trees dropping leaves left and right.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
well...something very strange is happening...its like the beginning of those apocalyptic movies...

im writing from East Europe..Bulgaria to be exact...and i just noticed here that alongside a huge boulevard in our capital city...all of the threes have their leaves fallen out...like 70% of the trees' leaves....i was astonished..cause a couple of days i saw this thread and was like "meh...whatever..doesnt matter" and NOW i see it!!
(( bad stuff

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hatcookie

The timing of color change and leaf fall are primarily regulated by the calendar, that is, the increasing length of night. None of the other environmental influences-temperature, rainfall, food supply, and so on-are as unvarying as the steadily increasing length of night during autumn.
‌link

Are our days shorter than they should be at this time of year? Or are various environmental factors blocking out some of the light, making trees think fall is here early?
hemisphere

hmmm..that would make sense as here is the southern hemisphere spring is early,the bugs are out,some trees have heaps of new growth,my mullberry tree out the back is dropping red fruits already!!...

peace

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
A very interesting movie is "Global Dimming" which documents the blocking of sunlight from aerosol pollution. You can see it here: witsendnj.blogspot.com...

I doubt increasing UV radiation (which is possible because stratospheric ozone is still under siege) is the reason foliage is damaged because if that were the case, there ought to be a consistent pattern where outer leaves and needles are more injured because they are absorbing the radiation. Instead the exact opposite is occurring - it's called a "tufted" look, which can be seen on both coniferous (pine) trees and deciduous trees, where the worst loss of foliage and needles is the older, inner layers. This is because absorbing pollution over seasons is more apparent on the older leaves and needles and causes them to fall off.

Once you see the symptoms of decline, they are impossible to miss. Also impossible to ignore is the direction of the trend, and that is heading towards collapse and extinction. Not at all good. We have to stop burning fuel.

I'm still reading this myself and so haven't posted yet, but anyone who wants to understand how much we have wrecked the biosphere with emissions should take a look at the latest assessment to the EPA about nitrogen, published August 18.

yosemite.epa.gov...$File/EPA-SAB-11-013-unsigned.pdf

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed
[more

that is really strange. It is almost like summer in the northern and southern hemispheres is overlapping.

If it wasn't for this internet and forums like this, none of us would know the larger context of changes happening all over the world and just think it was a local problem. The stock market crashing does not worry me much, but plant life crashing all over the world would be a much bigger deal IMHO.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WitsEndNJ

thats about it....for this decline to be happening on a global scale like it seems to be,pollution could be a very real a nd scary reason,the fact that the plants are dying slowly,some from the tops down could definately indicate some sort of slow poisoning taking years to see the full affects.....

i wonder if the plants can adapt to these changes??

peace

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
"i wonder if the plants can adapt to these changes??

peace"

that is what scientists mean when they study this and say there is a "shift" or a "loss" in biodiversity. That just means that some species die out, and others fill the empty space. But even that is garbage. Ever hear that "nature abhors a vacuum"?

That means that, according to the theory of evolution (which isn't a theory in the popular sense of an "idea" but is an established fact based on a provable hypothesis) some competitive species win and others lose as changes happen.

So NO, unfortunately, plants can't adapt to all changes - for instance, NO plant has ever been exposed to the sort of pollution we are creating, in the millions of years of earth history. And NO sea creature has been exposed to the rate of acidification that humans are creating in the oceans. So there may be a few lucky survivors - jellyfish? cockroaches? giant ragweed and kudzu and thistle?

But NOT us humans, or most of the other creatures and plants that we value...and depend on for survival.

Auuugghhh. It's a painful topic. Once you become aware that we are destroying our home, Earth, just as relentlessly as the people on Easter Island felled their last tree, it's impossible to forget.

This is a great resource where people are at least paying attention and noticing. Maybe this could even coalesce into a group that would refuse to accept the destruction of our essential habitat for the coming generations.

If anyone wants to get in touch with me about this please do - witsendnj at yahoo dot com.

We have to re-evaluate our priorities, and take the power away from evil corporate scoundrels.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
I've got an update for you. In an earlier post I said we are not having a problem with Maples here in Windsor, the South-western tip of Ontario. My neighbour's trees across the street look great -- from here. However I was over talking to him today and couldn't believe my eyes as I stood under the largest maple.

Every single large green leaf was spotted on the underside with 5 or 6 large maroon dots about the size of dimes. I will go back and get a picture tomorrow and post it here. It really looks strange to say the least.

Thanks very much wayno for the information here.
Please do keep us informed here and much thanks to your for your post.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by thefear1
well...something very strange is happening...its like the beginning of those apocalyptic movies...

im writing from East Europe..Bulgaria to be exact...and i just noticed here that alongside a huge boulevard in our capital city...all of the threes have their leaves fallen out...like 70% of the trees' leaves....i was astonished..cause a couple of days i saw this thread and was like "meh...whatever..doesnt matter" and NOW i see it!!
(( bad stuff

Thank you for your input from Bulgaria, we all here want to know what is going on, and the more people that add to this thread with their observations from around the world the better.
Once you look you can't miss it.
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 25-8-2011 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by WitsEndNJ
A very interesting movie is "Global Dimming" which documents the blocking of sunlight from aerosol pollution. You can see it here: witsendnj.blogspot.com...

I doubt increasing UV radiation (which is possible because stratospheric ozone is still under siege) is the reason foliage is damaged because if that were the case, there ought to be a consistent pattern where outer leaves and needles are more injured because they are absorbing the radiation. Instead the exact opposite is occurring - it's called a "tufted" look, which can be seen on both coniferous (pine) trees and deciduous trees, where the worst loss of foliage and needles is the older, inner layers. This is because absorbing pollution over seasons is more apparent on the older leaves and needles and causes them to fall off.

Once you see the symptoms of decline, they are impossible to miss. Also impossible to ignore is the direction of the trend, and that is heading towards collapse and extinction. Not at all good. We have to stop burning fuel.

I'm still reading this myself and so haven't posted yet, but anyone who wants to understand how much we have wrecked the biosphere with emissions should take a look at the latest assessment to the EPA about nitrogen, published August 18.

yosemite.epa.gov...$File/EPA-SAB-11-013-unsigned.pdf

Please hang around here and keep contributing as you have been.
Excellent post with almost undeniable information, informative and logical too.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

reply to post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed
[more

that is really strange. It is almost like summer in the northern and southern hemispheres is overlapping.

The stock market crashing does not worry me much, but plant life crashing all over the world would be a much bigger deal IMHO.

Brilliant post my friend........
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by hopenotfeariswhatweneed

thats about it....for this decline to be happening on a global scale like it seems to be,pollution could be a very real a nd scary reason,the fact that the plants are dying slowly,some from the tops down could definately indicate some sort of slow poisoning taking years to see the full affects.....

i wonder if the plants can adapt to these changes??

peace

Thanks for your very good posts and logic there hoppen, Your last sentence is food for thought.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

You nailed it straight my friend with this comment...."This is a great resource where people are at least paying attention and noticing."

Everybody please pay attention and look up in your trees and look down on your plants.
If you think you see something abnormal, well then by golly you probably do see something wrong.
Speak out and don't fear ridicule, that is just a way to stop you from speaking of what is true to your eyes and senses.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Beautiful post and you are so right. It is amazing how blinded people get by "progress" and profits; losing sight of what is really important, our environment, the only source for the air we breathe, water we drink and food we eat such that we are able to survive.

Very few people see the situation the way it really is. Thank you for making it clear.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
What's interesting is the maples along the main crossing street from mine, their leaves have turned brown and began to fall off. Every single maple tree on that street. And they all face North, Northwest. My mother said it was because of a local insecticide they were using, which is now banned because of the supposed damage. I will try looking up information on that.

ETA: The maple in the back-yard seems fine. She's probably been there for hundreds of years and she's still a big beautiful tree, a BBT. Erm... oh ya back to what I was here to edit to add;

Our Cigartree out back looks sickly and droopy. The leaves are about the size of standard plain paper 8"x11" -ish. They had this brown substance all over the leaves, almost like nicotine stains. But what was odd, there was more than a dozen bottle flies on each leaf and there is over a hundred leaves. I think they were eating the substance. It's not odd for a lot of insects to be on there as the tree has a symbiotic relationship with carpenter ants and lady bugs. But this fly invasion was unsual.
edit on 25-8-2011 by AMANNAMEDQUEST because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AMANNAMEDQUEST
What's interesting is the maples along the main crossing street from mine, their leaves have turned brown and began to fall off. Every single maple tree on that street. And they all face North, Northwest. My mother said it was because of a local insecticide they were using, which is now banned because of the supposed damage. I will try looking up information on that.

ETA: The maple in the back-yard seems fine. She's probably been there for hundreds of years and she's still a big beautiful tree, a BBT. Erm... oh ya back to what I was here to edit to add;

Our Cigartree out back looks sickly and droopy. The leaves are about the size of standard plain paper 8"x11" -ish. They had this brown substance all over the leaves, almost like nicotine stains. But what was odd, there was more than a dozen bottle flies on each leaf and there is over a hundred leaves. I think they were eating the substance. It's not odd for a lot of insects to be on there as the tree has a symbiotic relationship with carpenter ants and lady bugs. But this fly invasion was unsual.
edit on 25-8-2011 by AMANNAMEDQUEST because: (no reason given)

Thanks very much for adding your observations and ideas to this thread, It just keeps adding up here that it is no illusion, but in fact a scary reality happening right now.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

I'll snap some photos to contribute. And I will keep a lookout for maples and other trees in the surrounding neighborhood as well, but as far as I know so far, it's just the one street.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

The stock market crashing does not worry me much, but plant life crashing all over the world would be a much bigger deal IMHO.

Obviously the plant life crash world wide is a much bigger problem! Anyone who disagrees is a sociopath and/or needs to get there brains check out!!

No plants = No life. Period.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SalientSkivvy

Obviously the plant life crash world wide is a much bigger problem! Anyone who disagrees is a sociopath and/or needs to get there brains check out!!

No plants = No life. Period.

I agree ... as I said in the last paragraph of my post on page 13 ... if this is true and it isn't something temporary that will correct itself ... not trying to scare anyone, BUT going forward we are screwed.

I also agree, only a sociopath wouldn't care. They'll care when they're fighting someone for the last can of dog food.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Ithink there may be a factor or bit of data, missing here,,

just a reminder,
#ushima is still spewing radiation,,,, for the PAST ^-or is that & months, now,,
might have a wee bit of an effect.
u know ,,the trees will probably survive,,
will you?

move that forward.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
From the aforementioned report submitted this month to the US EPA, on p. 42:

"Ozone-induced predisposition of forest trees to damage by fungal diseases and insect pests"

What this means is that trees (and it's true for agricultural crops too) exposed to invisible and toxic air pollution become like people with AIDS. Their immune system is compromised and this allows naturally occurring pests and diseases to go out of control, just like a person with AIDS will die from pneumonia. Farmers try to cope by spraying more and more insecticides and fungicides on their crops but of course, this can't be done for entire forests, and the chemicals are poisonous anyway (and derived from petroleum, but peak oil is another issue!).

Many scientific studies have demonstrated the causative connection between ozone and the insects, disease and fungus that proliferate, but the professional foresters and regulatory agencies would much rather blame bugs and bacteria than the entire industrial system that rules our lives.

There are excerpts from one published research paper with photographs here: witsendnj.blogspot.com...

Be careful everyone with Irene on the way, weakened and rotted trees and branches are going to be falling like crazy!

Gail at Wit's End in New Jersey

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join