It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maple trees dropping leaves left and right.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Here in Southern Ontario our Maple trees are dropping leaves like there is no tomorrow.
We have a nice yard and work hard at it and this year two of our four maple trees look like it's October when we all know it is the middle of August.
We called a tree company and they told us it was heat stress, the paper here says it is due to lack of water.
Lack of water does not work here because we have a well and water almost constantly here.
So I thought I would ask people here what is happening in their area and what they think is the problem.
It seems to us the trees are dieing facing the NE first then going NW as far as the damage goes.
I did do some reading here and this link here.
www.nj.com...

Has some good stuff but still it seems conflicting.

I quote the link here....

Based on the fact you are not seeing borer-type symptoms and actual signs of the insect, it might be caused by environmental stress, cultural practices or disease problems. Environmental conditions like extremes in moisture (drought, floods) can cause decline in trees over a period of years. For example, if you had a drought three years ago, its affect may have only revealed itself last year, this year or in an even longer period of time. The reason for their susceptibility is the shallow root system and many surface roots, which also compete for water and nutrients in lawn areas.

We are becoming more aware of this "environmental stress" as the years go by I think, 18 years here at this location and we have never never had anything like we are seeing now.

I am leaning towards heat stress but I think it is from the sun not the atmosphere.
I don't really know, that is why I posted this here.
If you do reply to this post, please mention your location as that might help nail this down.
Regards, Iwinder
edit on Sun Aug 21 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Very strange, i've never heard of this before.

Hope you find an answer you can share with us.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

The trees here in northern Ohio are already turning as well. Looks like a early fall and I hope a long one. I like winter but only for about 90 days and than it starts getting on my nerves...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

so do we will keep you informed if anything come to light here.
Regards, iwinder

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

My dogwoods leaves are turning and preparing to drop; both trees are healthy and we've not had a hot summer to date. My best guess is an early fall and winter. We are just now getting temps in the mid 90s normally we would have had 100 plus. My sis lives on the other side of the Cascades and said the trees in her area are also turning and getting ready to fall. Could be as simple as that. I'll have to check the horses to see if they are getting the winter coat in yet.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by Iwinder

The trees here in northern Ohio are already turning as well. Looks like a early fall and I hope a long one. I like winter but only for about 90 days and than it starts getting on my nerves...

Our maples here have been dropping leaves like mad since the first of August here.
I mean a bag a day in the back yard and I am not kidding.
Regards,Iwinder

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Autumn is next month, trees start losing leaves sometimes early. Nothing unusual to freak out about.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
reply to post by Iwinder

My dogwoods leaves are turning and preparing to drop; both trees are healthy and we've not had a hot summer to date. My best guess is an early fall and winter. We are just now getting temps in the mid 90s normally we would have had 100 plus. My sis lives on the other side of the Cascades and said the trees in her area are also turning and getting ready to fall. Could be as simple as that. I'll have to check the horses to see if they are getting the winter coat in yet.

This is different as it is in the news and people are asking questions but there seems to be no answers here.
I did 3 bags yesterday in the back and I figure I have about four more now.
We should be enjoying our yard at the moment ( cold beer and Iced tea) but I am spending every day here doing leaves.
Thanks for the input and check those horses and get back to us here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

reply to post by Iwinder

Where in Ohio? I haven't noticed anything like that. I am in the Dayton area

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IlluminatusOculus33
Autumn is next month, trees start losing leaves sometimes early. Nothing unusual to freak out about.

Thanks for the reply and here is a local link from a city about 50 miles away from us here.

www.lfpress.com...

They are saying drought and our tree doctor say's it is stress from heat.
I still say It is stress from the sunlight as I watch my trees all the time and yes I do baby them.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Here in Northern Indiana we had a heat wave
and no rain in July. For August we received
a little rain and the temps are better but
everything still looks dry, a maple tree in
my neighbors yard is loosing leaves. I too
think we are in for an early Fall. If so that
may mean a long hard winter, I hope not.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
There is a Native American prophecy that in the end of times the maple will trees will die from the tops down

Oren Lyons, faithkeeper of the Onondaga Nation, tells a story of Seneca chief Handsome Lake, who in 1799, brought to his people the visions and revelations from his journeys. "Handsome Lake said, 'They said the maple tree, the leader of all trees, will begin dying from the top down and nobody will know how to deal with it,'

www.thepeoplespaths.net...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
There is a Native American prophecy that in the end of times the maple will trees will die from the tops down

Oren Lyons, faithkeeper of the Onondaga Nation, tells a story of Seneca chief Handsome Lake, who in 1799, brought to his people the visions and revelations from his journeys. "Handsome Lake said, 'They said the maple tree, the leader of all trees, will begin dying from the top down and nobody will know how to deal with it,'

www.thepeoplespaths.net...

Thanks so much for that information and the link, I just read part of it and it floored me here.
I will read the whole thing when I have time and time I will make for that link.
Regards,Iwinder

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
i doesnt sound like anything too suspicious,decidious trees like maples are affected by the climate,im in oozy land and i have noticed this year that the liquid ambers (similar species to maples) are being strange,in some areas they still have their autumn leaves,some areas the trees have no leaves,and as it now coming into spring some trees are sprouting thier spring growth,i can only put it down to microclimates,the weather is becoming increasingly erratic,,its hot for week,cold for a week,rains for 2 weeks,etc etc

trees are difficult to work out,we have some species of trees here that complety die but dont show any affects for a quite a few years,then they just drop their leaves and thats that,and yes too much moisture can affect the trees as well as exteme droughts,both can kill the trees(even strong well established trees,depending on the severity and length of the event)years after the drought of floods happen....my 2 cents

peace

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I noticed the leaves falling off of my trees in Southern Illinois. It doesn't seem to have rained as much this year as we normally get, but I certainly don't believe that we are close to being in a drought. Some friends suggested that the 17 year Cicada are back, and that they eat leaves. However, my research showed me that these Cicada are sap suckers and not leaf eaters. Not sure what the reason for losing the leaves are. Yes I recognize that it is August, but I have lived on my land for many years and have never seen the leaves fall this early. Some of my tress are almost bare.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1hope

reply to post by Iwinder

Where in Ohio? I haven't noticed anything like that. I am in the Dayton area

I noticed it last weekend driving down I-80 coming back from my retirement party. There was a noticeable change in the colors. I bet you start seeing it within a week.

Drive down a road you haven’t in a awhile. I would bet dollars to donuts you’ll see a early fall on the way.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Greetings:

And we thought we were alone in wondering WTF is up (or, in this case, down) with our trees here in Northeast Georgia - Rabun County - to be more precise.

We have had Poplar leaves falling since about the 4th of July - and they have holes 'burnt' in them - only Poplar.

Enclosed please find photos of same.

Our yard looks like mid-October, what with all the Poplar leaves on the ground. And this is not the way it usually is - the early leaf fall, that is.

The 'burnt holes' are an other matter entirely.

Is is even possible that this anomaly is due to radiation from Fukushima Dai-ichi - still spewing death as we speak, er, write. 24/7/365 - with no end in sight?

Perhaps someone has an opinion on this matter?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Same is happening here in Oklahoma. I thought it was just a result of the incredibly dry and hot summer. Maybe not, I don't know. The leaves on the ground look like late October.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
My trees are doing exceptionally well this year, I have an Oak tree that shouldn't even grow in the colder climate here, I'm about zone 2, Oaks are supposed to grow in zone 4 or 5. It looked like the frost killed it off in the spring this year, and then it came back - no acorns though.

It's like things have been given a real boost of something, everything here is growing faster and thicker leafed than usual.

I'm halfway up Saskatchewan, nights are getting cold enough to have all the windows closed now, but my trees aren't turning colour yet, or dropping any leaves.

I do have powdery mildew on lots of the weeds outside, and some areas of grass, which I didn't know could happen. I thought that was an indoor plant disease.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi
I noticed the leaves falling off of my trees in Southern Illinois. It doesn't seem to have rained as much this year as we normally get, but I certainly don't believe that we are close to being in a drought. Some friends suggested that the 17 year Cicada are back, and that they eat leaves. However, my research showed me that these Cicada are sap suckers and not leaf eaters. Not sure what the reason for losing the leaves are. Yes I recognize that it is August, but I have lived on my land for many years and have never seen the leaves fall this early. Some of my tress are almost bare.

Just what I am saying here......50 years all my life in the same city and 18 of those here in this house and never have the leaves dropped like this and for the past two weeks.
This started in late July and it is getting worse by the day.
Thanks for the input.
Regads,Iwinder

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join