It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong tornado hits Goderich Ontario Canada

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
No comment ..

GODERICH, Ont. - A tornado ripped through here Sunday afternoon, lifting roofs off houses and businesses, blowing out windows, toppling trees and knocking out the power.
Buildings in the historic square of this town on the eastern shore of Lake Huron were damaged by the twister that touched down around 4 p.m. "It like an atomic bomb hit it," Greg Rau said.

The powerful winds blew out windows in the Goderich courthouse in the centre of the square so "you can see right through it," he said.
The town declared a state of emergency, Mayor Deb Shewfelt said. A command post is being set up at the Knights of Columbus.

"Police are on scene at the square, which is devastated from what I hear. We had a storm like in '95, but the damage is far worse today," he said.
Sgt. Dave Rektor confirmed people were injured, but he didn't know how many or the extent of the injuries.

cnews.canoe.ca...

www.truckstopcanada.ca...

edit on 21-8-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Wow that is messed up...does anybody know if Canada has tornadoes regularly here?? I live in California so we never hear of Canadian Tornadoes and seems kinda crazy to think they happen that far North. i cant watch videos at the moment so sorry if they explain all that in the videos

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
...its not rare to have a tornado up there... heres a vid of a whopper in manitoba...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
...hopefully there wont be any deaths and not too many severe injuries since it was sunday... couldve been so much worse had it struck on a weekday afternoon...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Man my heart pours out to the people of Goderich, it's such a nice place.

How crazy is it, that on the 20 August 2009 we had that Tornado rip through Vaughan - 1 day off from 2 years exactly!

For those who didn't see it, here is some footage

edit on 21-8-2011 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
We were driving down Hwy 21 from Bayfield and turned east towards Ben Miller at the time the tornado struck. Had we gone another couple of miles, we would have driven into it just as it was happening. The sky north of us had turned into a white haze, which I knew was heavy rain, and I didn't really want to be on a busy major highway during it. It quicky began to hail, but only about 1/2 inch chunks, which wasn't too bad, but we stopped in the parking lot at the Ben Miller Inn while the storm passed by just north of us.

The videos are terrible because we know what a beautiful spot the town center is. The big white building in what is left of the park is the courthouse and the stores you see are in a circle around it. Named the Prettiest Town in Ontario, it will be a long while before trees will again grace its downtown.

Very sad and I hope not many will be hurt (or worse) out of this.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
That's terrible. I guess Goderich won't be the "Prettiest City in Ontario" for a while now.

I hope no one is severely injured and no casualties. I am sure this will bring the towns peoples together.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Tornadoes are no laughing matter, my heart goes out to everyone in the town. I hope no one was seriously harmed, and that they will be able to rebuild the areas that were destroyed and move on quickly.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NewsWorthy

Tornadoes do happen here in Ontario from time to time. It does seem to me that they are happening further and further North every year tho.

Just one more example of climate shifting North in these parts. Too bad about Goderich tho. Its been known as a pretty town since I was a kid, and that's a long time ago.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
CKNX is the local AM Radio station for much of the area Goderich is in.

Checking their website, I found many more pictures of the damage done.

Here's a vid of the storm coming in off Lake Huron. The structure you can see at the far right is the Sifto Salt Mine which sits in Goderich Harbour.

edit on 21/8/11 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Deb Shewfeld, Goderich mayor has just announced the first fatality on CKNX AM.

As yet, Environment Canada has not confirmed that it was a tornado.

Update: It was a tornado and has now been tentatively assesed as an F2 and F3

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
It's now apparent that the tornado cut a path from the Sifto Salt mine at the harbour and up the steep bluffs to the southeast. It tore through the oldest section of the town, destroying century old homes and churches before tearing through the town square.

The mayor said that most of the businesses in the downtown are either destroyed or severely damaged.

So far, the only fatality was a worker at the salt mine and I hope that it might be the only one. The core has been closed off and accessable only to first responders. The fear is broken gas lines which may ignite fires. A state of emergency exists at the moment.

On a personal note, as you might have [caught] in my first post in this thread, I'd noticed the severe weather ahead on the highway, turned off and headed east to the village of Ben Miller where we'd stopped at the Inn to ride out a fairly good hailstorm. When the hail stopped, I got back on the road and once again headed east. Now, I hear that the Ben Miller Inn was also damaged, meaning that I'd dodged that tornado a second time.

We drove the appoximately 60 miles back home at a reasonable clip, getting a fair distance ahead of the storm. Once inside our house, we watched shredded leaves falling out of a calm cloudy sky.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

I recognized the voice of Reed Timmer in your vid. If a tornado is going to happen this man is there. He is excellent at finding them. I had the pleasure of following him in Oklahoma one year for 2 days during tornado season, and see 4 tornadoes during that 2 day period. The problem with Reed is that he gets so excited he screams, and matters not if he is the only one around to hear it.
edit on 8/21/2011 by VeniVidi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Central Canada gets lots of tornadoes, mostly rural, with little damage. Manitoba had an F5 last year. The tornado season ends earlier than the central US

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Wow! I just logged on to read this. I had no idea that this happened!!!!

Saturday afternoon and evening, I was on the beach just below the bluffs of Kitchigami Camp -- a small trailer park, cottage, campground -- just south of Goderich. I was there celebrating my birthday and that of a friend who has a cabin at Kitchigami. Our birthdays are close so, as in years past, we had gotten together to ....well....party!

The skies were grey and threatening all day... with the occasional appearance of the sun. It certainly was windy and the waters were very rough. We had the odd rain shower but nothing that lasted very long or, for that matter, deterred our little party on the beach. Our bon fire was blazing regardless. But what a difference a day can make.

My wife and I decided to head back to our cottage an hour south on Hwy 21 in the wee hours of the morning. Sunday morning, we awoke to glorious sunshine. Towards afternoon, however, the skies grew menacingly dark and quite foreboding but, aside from a few rain showers there was nothing to lead me to believe that anything of this sort was occurring.

Right now, I'm hoping that my friends at Kitchigami Camp are all right. The camp, like I mentioned, is just south of Goderich (barely a dozen or so kilometres, if that.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
What a lovely town ......If you have never been there you have no idea how nice it is and the view looking down on the harbour.
Funny thing is we live in Sarnia Ontario right at the base of Lake Huron.
This afternoon my wife was going to walk to the corner store about 2 miles away.
We were sitting at our Picnic table looking out over the lake and I said to her that maybe she should wait because it was just Black/Purple over the lake and it was very active as in rotation.
By rotation I mean all Black sky but little white puffs are getting sucked into it at all angles, no rhyme or reason ]ust flying around like nuts.
As the crow flies from here to there its about 40 miles over the lake.
We both pray it is only one death and no more.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
It's now apparent that the tornado cut a path from the Sifto Salt mine at the harbour and up the steep bluffs to the southeast. It tore through the oldest section of the town, destroying century old homes and churches before tearing through the town square.

The mayor said that most of the businesses in the downtown are either destroyed or severely damaged.

So far, the only fatality was a worker at the salt mine and I hope that it might be the only one. The core has been closed off and accessable only to first responders. The fear is broken gas lines which may ignite fires. A state of emergency exists at the moment.

On a personal note, as you might have [caught] in my first post in this thread, I'd noticed the severe weather ahead on the highway, turned off and headed east to the village of Ben Miller where we'd stopped at the Inn to ride out a fairly good hailstorm. When the hail stopped, I got back on the road and once again headed east. Now, I hear that the Ben Miller Inn was also damaged, meaning that I'd dodged that tornado a second time.

We drove the appoximately 60 miles back home at a reasonable clip, getting a fair distance ahead of the storm. Once inside our house, we watched shredded leaves falling out of a calm cloudy sky.

Not the ben miller inn too?
That place is dear in my heart, For fishing and just hiking.
This is not a good sign as we should not be having this kind of weather this close to fall.
Thanks for the postings,
Regards,Iwinder

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Deb Shewfeld, Goderich mayor has just announced the first fatality on CKNX AM.

As yet, Environment Canada has not confirmed that it was a tornado.

Update: It was a tornado and has now been tentatively assesed as an F2 and F3

Yeah we had an F2 here in Lambton County here a month or so ago and it ripped down 6 major hydro towers the big

ones.......took them over a week to agree that wind alone just won't do that sort of thing.

Petty arguments over the fact that people got hurt and lost their farms.
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 21-8-2011 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

The problem with Reed is that he gets so excited he screams, and matters not if he is the only one around to hear it.

...i've been too close to some humdingers and i'm not at all ashamed to say i screamed like a little girl stuck at the top of a ferris wheel...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

I haven't heard yet how much damage the Ben Miller Inn took, but I know sustained some. It had just gone through some renovations by the new owner as well.

Yes... it's a gorgeous spot and I hope it's not too badly messed up. I've friends that live along the river there too, so I'm anxious to hear from them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join