It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Religion is the most Homosocial?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
"Homosocial" may refer to a situation where a male-only society dominates, and despite a dislike of openly homosexual behavior, these men run entire societies from a same-sex context.
Most historical studies of power would originate in this "brotherhood" of men, and most historical, religious and colonial power can be understood as originating from a homosocial source.
Usually they see women as unclean, and even threatening.
They may pray: "Dear Lord, thank you for not making me a gentile, an animal or a woman!"
Others view women as a distraction that must be silenced, while some are taught to see themselves as a captain of a ship over females.

How do women feel about this patriarchal chauvinism?

It seems to me women actually like this?

Most people would say Islam is more homosocial than Christianity.
But is this so?
Isn't it veiled sexism against more open sexism?

I'd say, many Christian women are in denial of their "low" social position.
I'd say that many men are also in denial of how their position borders on homosexual love affairs with their self- gendered deity.

If God is male, and men follow that ideal, then why contaminate yourself with Eve?
I mean Leviticus is very clear that a man shouldn't treat (or make love to) a man like a woman - do not lower your brother to a "female" position!

However, Christianity is also clear that male virgins (undefiled by women) will be redeemed (Rev 14:4).

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

there is evidence that prior to the current patriarchal society we have that there was indeed a matriarchal one that thrived.
the oldest religions are predominantly goddess religions.

edit on 21-8-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Well I'd say Christianity is the least homosocial religion - but also only for a few decades.
Even most socializing was expected to be homosocial.

I think I could understand it, now that I've seen some of the things that "adults" do.

Best to keep the men in one space (around the fire), and the women in another (the kitchen).
It's never nice to raise "uncertain" children.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
n sociology, homosociality describes same-sex relationships that are not of a romantic or sexual nature, such as friendship, mentorship, or others. The opposite of homosocial is heterosocial, preferring non-sexual relations with the opposite sex. In group relations involving more than two individuals, the relation can be either homosocial (involving same-sex social relations) or bisocial involving social relation with both sexes. en.wikipedia.org...

i do believe that your commentary and the word homosocial do not jibe my friend.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

In what sense do they not jibe?

I've clearly defined the homosocial from the homosexual.

I cannot delineate the homosocial from the homoerotic however.

One can link it to misogyny and power.

You'll have to expand a bit more to explain how my comments are disjointed.

edit on 21-8-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Here we have some of the biggest homosocial gatherings in southern Africa - Angus Buchan's Mighty Men conferences.
Critics are concerned that they are obviously tailored around a US militarized reactionary "men's movement" called Promise Keepers.
They also voice concerns that despite a focus on inter-racial footage, over 90% of the men who attend are white.
Some argue it gives men the opportunity to relive some of their previous militarized camaraderie.
As the years flew by, women were less impressed.
Some said their men came back so brainwashed and abusive that divorce was an option.
Despite Buchan's homophobic message of "pray away the gay", others have called it the biggest meeting of repressed gay men on the planet.
And as with all TBN affiliated ministries there are deep financial issues.

Nevertheless, I know men who went and enjoyed it very much, and their wives applaud the meetings.

edit on 21-8-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Greek Mythology.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

You kinda missed something. That passage in revelations doesnt refer to Christians, it refers to the 144,000 jew males who remained virgin. By the time that seal gets broken most christians will be dead, executed by the Beast. Very few christians will escape being martyred. The word "defiled" is a strong word, but God doesnt meant it as a derogatory term against women, he is just stating that these men will have been untouched by the sin of lust.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I've heard that the redeemed here will come from the 12 tribes.
Since Christianity started as a sect within Judaism, I'm not sure whether this includes Christians or Jewish converts, or what were called the "God fearers" (gentiles who attended early church services, but they were not willing to undergo painful adult circumcision or follow the dietary laws, until the apostles changed Christian law to accommodate them).
The verse is much debated and interpreted differently amongst the various sects.
I recall faintly that the Jehovah's Witnesses believe these are the only believers who will go to heaven as a kind of administration (I speak under correction) while the believing men who consort with females will remain with them on an earthly paradise.
The concept that women defile men and their spirituality is key to the Pauline Doctrine.
OT polygamy is reduced to one wife as a compromise for those who would otherwise "burn with lust".
However, it's considered second best and not ideal to have a wife, and those who are loose from a wife upon entering the sect should not take one.

Otherwise the verse is quite clear: they are men undefiled by women.
It literally says women are a defiling element on men.
But that's nothing new considering that Eve was at first weak-willed and tempted Adam, and got everyone evicted from Eden. Adam was not deceived, but woman was in transgression, and hence women should be modest, shut their mouths and gain salvation through bearing children (1 Timothy 2:9-15).
Since the men are virgins they have not given in to any lust, although it doesn't say they haven't felt it (although I personally think it refers to gay men).
It's quite amusing, because current streams in Christianity will claim to take all kinds of verses as inerrant and literal. But when it comes to this verse they come up with all kinds of reasons not to take it literally since virtually none of the Protestant men practice the celibacy advised by St. Paul, and they don't want to draw attention to the fact that they are a lower class of believer.

edit on 22-8-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

top topics

join