It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Service Agent Arrested For DUI In Iowa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

An off duty Secret Service agent was arrested for drunk driving early Saturday morning in Decorah, IA two days prior to President Barack Obama's visit there.

Secret Service spokesman, George Ogilvee confirms Valencia is a special agent with the Secret Service and says the matter has been turned over to the agency's Office of Professional Responisiblity for an internal investigation. Ogilvee would not say if Daniel Valencia continued to work with the president's security team in Iowa after his arrest on Saturday, August 13. "We're not going to talk about where he is," Ogilvee said.

What's sad about this is that the case was turned over to the Secret Service where this man will not be prosecuted and the arrest buried. You or I would probably be sitting in jail facing fines and classes and all that good stuff.

Pays to have connections I guess.

politics.blogs.foxnews.com...
edit on 21-8-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I wonder if he "spills the beans" when he is drunk?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Epic, I wish he would have been pulled over while driving Obama around. The cop's like "Do you mind if I search your car?", then he opens up the back door and Obama's chillin' there like "What's the problem, officer?"

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

What's sad about this is that the case was turned over to the Secret Service where this man will not be prosecuted and the arrest buried. You or I would probably be sitting in jail facing fines and classes and all that good stuff.

Pays to have connections I guess.

That's because we have a legal system in this country and not a justice system.

You've nailed this one kro32!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

You need to read the whole articles, respectfully. The agent, off duty, was stopped and arrested / charged for DWI. The agent has a local attorney handeling the matter. The charges were not dropped and are still pending. The matter that was referred to the Secret Service is an internal investigation to the agents conduct, IE getting drunk and driving.

IA Investigation for conduct - IE did the agent violate any departmental policies by his actions -

Secret Service spokesman, George Ogilvee confirms Valencia is a special agent with the Secret Service and says the matter has been turned over to the agency's Office of Professional Responisiblity for an internal investigation.
(emphasis added by me)

Criminal Case pending - DWI is a violation of state / local laws, not Federal, so the feds have no jurisdiction to investigate a DWI case.

Decorah Police Chief Bill Nixon says Secret Service agent Daniel Valencia, 40, was arrested and charged with driving under the influence. A copy of the criminal complaint with more details about Valencia's arrest was not available because a local attorney in Decorah, Karl Knudson, currently has possession of it. Knudson was not available for comment at his law office this afternoon.

Read more: politics.blogs.foxnews.com...

Read more: politics.blogs.foxnews.com...
2 investigations are ongoing -
* - The local DWI charges - Criminal
* - The Secret Service Internal Affairs investigation into the agents conduct - Administrative

Nothing is being covered up or white washed or anything like that.

Assuming the agent has never had a dwi before (and being he is detail, im fairly certain that assumption is right), the charge of DWI is a misdameanor. Once arrested 2 things can happen, the agent can be booked into the county jail, where he can either post bail / sit for 24 hours / released when a sober party picks him up.

his citation is the court appearence date.

Or, the officer can issue a citation and turn him over to a sober 3rd party.

Nothing sinister going on....
edit on 22-8-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
This is true I did not read further into the matter so thanks for clarifying it up.

You just did what I usually do in threads.

That's funny

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
This is true I did not read further into the matter so thanks for clarifying it up.

You just did what I usually do in threads.

That's funny

No worries... Ive seen your posts in other threads and you are pretty good about the facts and your posts. It happens.. with everything going on in the US, the appearence of a federal employee getting preferential treatment is enough to torque anyone off, including me.

What caused me to check the facts was the DWI charge and being referred to the Secret service. That didnt make sense to me sooo....

Its all good... Still a good read and something to follow, particualrly if the agent will remain on the presidents detail or be reassigned / terminated.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Well thank you for double checking and keep up the good work

I am rather embarrassed but it will just make me more diligent on my future posts which can only be a good thing

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Is this really newsworthy though? The guy IS human right?... Humans aren't perfect & they screw up ALL THE TIME... no matter what the profession is. I hope he receives the same punishment that John Q Public would receive, no more & no less. We've got a State Trooper here that's been stopped 3 times for DUI and she's still on the job... Top That!

NJ Trooper Stopped 3 times for driving drunk.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Its only news worthy because the guy is on the Presidents detail.. If the guy was merely advance or field, I doubt it wouldhave been picked up.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I get where you're coming from, I just get tired of the media's idolitry of LEO's & Civil Servants in general. I see many stories where it's spun like "*GASP* , An officer or agent got a DUI!?! how could this happen!?!"

I want to say "The same way your damn uncle got one stupid, the douche was drinking and driving!"

edit on 22-8-2011 by EyesWideShut because: .

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Fair enough.. the anti cop, Super hero and cant do no wrong while being held to a standard higher than god gets old. Since they can attach President to the story, my guess is thats why it was reported.

I do agree with you though...

top topics

join