It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pray or You're Fired.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Obviously, by what you have said, you are being discriminated against. I don't know what state you live in
but there are bureaucrats just waiting to help you out. Let them...

www.serb.state.oh.us...

www.schneiderwallace.com...

www.labor.ny.gov...

edit on 21-8-2011 by whaaa because: code t8t

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Under federal law, an employer doesn't have to hire, or promote, the most qualified applicant. But the employer cannot base decisions on personal characteristics that are not job-related. These characteristics often include:
•Sex
•Religion
•National origin
•Disability

I have not seen from your statements of the Minister violating any of these regulations.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Well I don't know. So if I refuse to attend the prayer meetings for my own personal reasons, and they fire me, you feel that is discrimination?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Tell him to give up his tax-free status, which makes his church a government agency, then you'll start thinking about doing what he asks. There is nothing wrong with doing church at home. In fact, that is what the Loud Cry of Revelation 18:4 is all about ( www.biblegateway.com...:4&version=KJV ), leaving the mainstream churches that have become very corrupt, and worshiping God at home and/or with a congregation you know teaches Biblical truth ( www.remnantofgod.org... ).

99% of the churches out there are government agencies. That is what the image of the beast is in
Revelation 13:15: (KJV)
15And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

To learn all about the image of the beast, click the following link: www.remnantofgod.org...

edit on 21-8-2011 by jeramie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by schuyler

WHY is it that I am all of a sudden part of the worship team when the video guys, sitting right next to me, are NOT? WHY? No demands on them, or the very musicians themselves. It feels like they are wanting me to quit. That's what this feels like. And I probably will. Not before I am sure though about me having some kind of legal recourse.

Why? Because. We can only speculate. You continue to ask the same questions we have already answered. It's time for you to get practical here and stop whining about why. We don't know why. No one here knows why. Quit asking us. We've researched this. You have the conclusions, one of which is that the Civil Rights Act allows churches to discriminate based upon religion. Sonofliberty even posted the text of the law. Follow through on them or don't. It's your call. If you want "some kind of legal recourse," then go get a lawyer who specializes in employee discrimination. Do you want us to look up some lawyers in the phone book for you, too?
edit on 8/21/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

reply to post by whaaa

Well I don't know. So if I refuse to attend the prayer meetings for my own personal reasons, and they fire me, you feel that is discrimination?

...i aint whaaa
but yeah it is discrimination unless they demand the same of all employees...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

reply to post by whaaa

Hell yes! If They have fired you for religious reasons because you wouldn't abide by their religious rituals when your terms of employment mention nothing about you praying with them. Contact the state attorney general the SLRB and take no prisoners!!

edit on 21-8-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Under Title VII, religion is defined as all aspects of religious observance, practice, and belief. Churches and religious organizations can discriminate on the basis of religion for all jobs. This includes and is not limited to secretaries, accountants, and janitors. The basis for permissible religious discrimination is the First Amendment's guarantee of religious freedom. The Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of this in Corporation of the Presiding Bishop of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints v. Amos,483 U.S. 327 (1987).

They can fire him for religious reasons. Its a Church. However , technically .... there is no religous discrimination from the Minister asking him to JOIN the prayer meetings. Is not religious discrimination.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

I have already posted that, you are wasting your time.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Question to TrueAmerican..... Do you think or know if there are 15 or more people employed by the church?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Christian organizations with 15 or more employees are required by Title VII to put up posters in conspicuous place informing employees of their rights, using the standard language approved by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The EEOC language is not to be altered regarding religious discrimination. Therefore, a Christian organization should explain to all employees the organization's exemption from prohibited religious discrimination.

The 15 people stature does not apply to churches with a written policy , if the church does not have a written policy .... then the 15 person stature applies on religious discrimination.

Also if you told them you were Christian .... then you would actually be failing a Job requirement. (if they asked you if you were a Christian , and you answered yes)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Well funny thing is, there WERE NO TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT when I was hired. Basically the deal was they needed a pro sound guy and I fulfilled that need. And obviously to their satisfaction or I wouldn't be here after all these years. The compliments on the audio come in steadily from the congregation, many of whom are musicians themselves, and who come to see the world class musicians on stage and worship. This place was built around the strength of the band, which is considerable.

I have that mix tweaked out man. To the hilt. Ya dig?

But so what. I guess they can claim that if I am not praying, then they can discriminate and fire me by law, even though that was never part of deal, and never even came up until now as a REQUIREMENT.

Sucks. Other than this stupidity, the job is fine. And jobs aren't exactly a dime a dozen.
Not around here.

But I guess it's just time to move on.

I'll be making some calls tomorrow though. If there's way, I got the will. Just no money. In other words- I'm screwed. Thanks CHURCH!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

The laws in the United States mandate at-will employment and permit company owners and employers a wide range of flexibility regarding policies and requirements. As a general rule, an employer can impose any requirements on employees that s/he wants unless:

•The requirement would mandate that an employee do something illegal,
•The requirement is otherwise discriminatory in any manner against an employee or employees because of race, religion, gender, age, disability or other protected status
•The requirement has a disparate impact on someone because of his or her protected status. In other words, if the new mandate that your boss put into place was going to adversely affect people of a certain gender or religion, then this would be an example of prohibited or illegal discrimination.

Religious organizations are permitted religious discrimination.

Every one here should realise the COURT DOES NOT tell you who is RIGHT or who is WRONG. It is there to solve conflict between individuals.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I'll be making some calls tomorrow though. If there's way, I got the will. Just no money. In other words- I'm screwed. Thanks CHURCH!

Don't worry TA, you are not SCREWED but with the implementation of plan B. Somebody will be....

edit on 21-8-2011 by whaaa because: code 5t6

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

and what, might I ask, is plan B? lol, hell, what was plan A?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
...speaking of being screwed - if all attempts at seeking fairness fail, there are other (peaceful) ways of getting, uh, uhmmm, retribution - yeah, thats a good word...

...like showing up for worship service with an 8x10 piece of paper stuck on your shirt that says "the worship-director screwed me" and one stuck on your back that has a really sad face that says "it hurts SO bad" - and - you could frequently burst into tears and cry REALLY LOUD and say things like "god, why did you let that horrible man screw me?"...

...tacky, yep, but not near as tacky as that nazi jerk telling you when to pray...

...dont forget the aclu... their services arent always free but, if they think you've got a viable case, they'll often help you find a way to raise the money (bake sales, poker runs - stuff like that)...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

All very cleaver WH but what I had in mind involved the religious repressed male sex drive, a working girl and a telephoto lens.

There is more than one way to SKIN a cat....

edit on 21-8-2011 by whaaa because: code 5l6

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

ROFL!

Are we friends yet? Cause if we weren't, you're on my list now!

HA!

Perfecto.

ETA: Correction, yep, we were... Glad I choose my friends round here wisely- just can't umm remember them all... I apologize.

edit on Sun Aug 21st 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

...i bow to your superior deviousness (and will be sure to keep my cat away from you)...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
reply to post by milkyway12

I have already posted that, you are wasting your time.

I believe we are. The information is out there on this thread, but OP seems bent on gnawing the bone. Also, this has taken a vindictive turn which is disappointing. If I knew the church I'd be tempted to send them this thread.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join