It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

food stamps are good for dog food? WTF!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
so i'm standing in line behind the sheet rocker and his 3 kids and pregnant gf/wife(???). they wrung up her dog food on the same ticket as the tortillas and baby formula. and she paid for it all with her ebt card??? like what in the blue f*** is that all about? "i can't take care of myself, let alone these 8 little handfuls of love and sugar...so can y'all please help to pay for me to have a dog, too. i think i need to find a little something to love in all the spare time...for those empty, alone times i have all the time"

i heard about them being used at liquor stores recently...and some states proposing to start drug testing those on unemployment (which does suck for some...but i mean....come on. why would i want to pay for you to get high when i still owe my dude like $100?). but i didn't know you feed your pets with it. geez...makes me want the system to crash. get rid of the free loaders. really f'd up thing....i bet he's got a big new suv on like 24 24k gold, with platinum spinners and a 3ct diamond on each valve stem. he works likes 80-100 a week. makes crazy money. and yet still gets food stamps. no wonder people want to flock here by the droves! they can make more money than some of us at work cuz their willing to work like slaves AND the more kids they make, the more money the government gives them.

and please know....i am not racist. this is not a rant about any race. this is a rant about what our governemnt does/allows! hell...i'd do it, too, if i could come here for the first time and get this warm of a welcome.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

Haha you aint got anything on the UK....want a free ride....come here LOL

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
you do know that ebt cards have cash on them as well right? I mean....Im not saying people dont abuse the system but you inferred an awful lot from a register transaction. Not only that but I think people are under the mistaken impression that getting foodstamps or other benefits means you are living high on the hog at the taxpayers expense. Most of your tax money is spent blowing people up in foreign countries....not feeding disenfranchised citizens. Some people recieve a laughable amount of support even if they legitimately need it.
edit on 21-8-2011 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Food stamps will not pay for dog food, however the ebt card issues both food stamp credit and cash assistance credit on a single card with separate pay options available in a single transaction.

I hope you never need help.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yep it's ridiculous. I see people using their Louisiana Purchase card at Wally World (Wal-Mart) to buy expensive hair products, all kinds of junk food,pet care products, and other things that are hardly essentials. As far as the drug testing thing- I have no problem with it. If you test positive for drugs, it means you had to buy them somewhere using money that could've gone toward essentials. It means our tax money is subsidizing their drug usage. I also have zero problem with proposed legislation to pay welfare recipients to be sterilized. As long as it is voluntary, it's a good idea. But no, the fruit of our labor should not be used to subsidize dog ownership. If you are a dependent you don't get to make the rules. You are a beggar, not a chooser.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Ever see that movie "Idiocracy" ? That is what this will lead to...We allow the dumbest people to thrive and reproduce...and they make even dumber kids.

I guess id better go get a job at the Gatorade factory

It like feeding cockroaches!
edit on 21-8-2011 by Juggernutty because: added more rant

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Seriously, if you are that worried about somebody feeding their animal and how they pay for it you might wanna check into how and why it's possible for them to do so.. The foodstamp card has a cash aid balance if you are willing to work for it a few days out of the month and repay it when you start working.. It's not a cash Grant it's a Loan and has to be repaid so don't think you are paying for their dogfood because they are paying for it themselves in ways you don't know about..Foodstamps Cannot buy dogfood, Hygienic products, Energy Drinks, Warm food/Prepared Meals or many other things..And they are not able to stay on them forever because there is a cutoff point after 5years.. And in my opinion I think FoodStamps should be able to buy dogfood because Dogs are family members to and need to eat just like everything else.. I'm not a advocate of homeless or struggling people getting a dog for company because thats a dumb idea but if they already had a animal that they love, I absolutely think that they are entitled to spend their benefits that they paid into for years on whatever loved 1 they choose.
edit on 21-8-2011 by NewsWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I have to admit, if I were on food stamps and it was the only way I could get dog food, I wouldn't hesitate. My dogs would give their lives for me, and I'll see to it that they have food before I do.

Then again, it's not unheard of that some people will use dog food to stretch their food budgets. I know sometimes I can be too soft-hearted and gullible, but I usually feel sorry for people on food stamps. If they have any pride at all, it has to hurt.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Hey # happens. Think about it for a second. Not every one thats on food stamps has been on them their whole life. Some people lose jobs, they still have to feed the dog. You want him to starve? I am sick of people talking about food stamps and other give away's like its a waist of our tax dollars. Sure some people abuse but you are helping out millions of people that need it. WHY AREN'T YOU B$%CHING ABOUT THE MILITARY SPENDING? People find one of the best things we are spending our tax dollars on (helping people stay alive) and bitch about it.
Their are dozens if not thousands if not millions of other tax spending topic you could be mad at, but you chose this one because the main stream media told you about it. The main stream media does not care about your welfare. This is classic divide and conquer. Poor vs Rich

It does not matter if its abused, it still helps out millions that need it. Any system like that will all ways be abused. Stop looking at it like you are paying for some one else. If you want to look at it like that then you can look at all the deaths from war as your fault cause you funded it.
edit on 21-8-2011 by sabbathcrazy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I live in New Orleans, a couple of streets away from the projects. I am an expert in poverty. They are not having pride issues about food stamps, believe me. Any dignity that might've existed was stripped away many generations ago. What we have is systemic dependency created by the state. And the people and politicians who claim to advocate for the poor are the ones who keep them in their place. Otherwise, they may not have that job or get re-elected. The creation and sustenance of dependency is antithetical to the notion of a compassionate society.

Granted, I don't know every technicality associated with Food Stamps and welfare, but I do know that my "neighbors" don't work or produce in any way and they are usually heavy set and live in subsidized housing (which they trash). They gettin food given to them by somebody and they sure aint working for it.
I'm all for a bareboned, temporary safety net, but the current system is assuredly being abused and we, the taxpayers are getting hosed. Wealth redistribution is a failed system.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sabbathcrazy
WHY AREN'T YOU B$%CHING ABOUT THE MILITARY SPENDING?

edit on 21-8-2011 by sabbathcrazy because: (no reason given)

It's sad isn't it?,Complaining about dog food when millions are being spent on ensuring that unarmed civilians throughout the planet are being maimed and killed daily,still better to spend 150K on a bunker buster than 99 cents on pet food right?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm constantly and consistently amazed by how quick people are to judge each other without ever having met each other or knowing a person's full story. There is an awful lot to be said for walking a mile in someone else's shoes..
In most states,to my knowledge,the EBT card is a food voucher as well as a debit card,if the family receives cash assistance as well as "Food Stamps". Sure,poverty perpetuates dependance upon the system,and yeah,so does the system itself. My question is,how do you think the spread state to state of drug testing for applicants/recipients will improve or undermine the system,and do you see the bigger picture in it?

Also,what criteria is acceptable in your opinion for people to qualify for these so-called benefits?

Be gentle.

edit on 21-8-2011 by Qouth The Raven because: Spell check.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Nice attempted misdirect, but the OP is about welfare and foodstamps. Many who are against wealth redistribution and the destruction of dignity and dependence it creates are also against US foreign policy. But that is not what this thread was about.
Warfare and welfare are closely intertwined, though. Both require huge budgets and both are destructive of the human spirit.
Slash welfare spending and end the wars and close the bases. Create a culture based on creativity, self reliance, and independence.

But good try to demonize those who disagree with you. Emotionalizing a subject is a good way to embrace ignorance.
Reason only, please...

[was a reply to nake13]
edit on 21-8-2011 by louieprima because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qouth The Raven
I'm constantly and consistently amazed by how quick people are to judge each other without ever having met each other or knowing a person's full story. There is an awful lot to be said for walking a mile in someone else's shoes..
In most states,to my knowledge,the EBT card is a food voucher as well as a debit card,if the family receives cash assistance as well as "Food Stamps". Sure,poverty perpetuates dependance upon the system,and yeah,so does the system itself. My question is,how do you think the spread state to state of drug testing for applicants/recipients will improve or undermine the system,and do you see the bigger picture in it?

Also,what criteria is acceptable in your opinion for people to qualify for these so-called benefits?

Be gentle.

Drug testing won't change the system, but it will help properly allocate funds. Taxpayers should not be subsidizing drug usage. If someone has money to buy drugs, why couldn't they use that money to buy food? If they are a user, they should be cut off, even if drugs were completely legalized(which they should be).

The bigger picture would be the nurturing of a system that does not make it "ok" to be dependent. We shouldn't abandon those in need but we should not enable them to continue their dependence, either. If someone is depending on welfare AND using drugs, do you think they're going to be gaining self reliance any time soon?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Wait, a poor person has a Dog? What sort of outrage is this!

Anything more than a patch of cold dirt and she's guilty of fraud, I'd call the police on her.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by louieprima

Originally posted by Qouth The Raven

Be gentle.

Drug testing won't change the system, but it will help properly allocate funds. Taxpayers should not be subsidizing drug usage. If someone has money to buy drugs, why couldn't they use that money to buy food? If they are a user, they should be cut off, even if drugs were completely legalized(which they should be).

The bigger picture would be the nurturing of a system that does not make it "ok" to be dependent. We shouldn't abandon those in need but we should not enable them to continue their dependence, either. If someone is depending on welfare AND using drugs, do you think they're going to be gaining self reliance any time soon?

Ah,but I see a different agenda in the works..I see new programs,costing more tax dollars,to rehabilitate those poor downtrodden druggies,and none of them ever being denied or cut off,just shuffled along into yet another 'program' designed to raise them up,and ones they will figure out how to manipulate. I see a clever plan here just like you do..But properly allocating funds isn't exactly what agencies do,now is it. We'll just have to watch and see.

Thanks for responding.

top topics

join