It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helicopter stunt pilots to pluck space capsule from mid-air

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   

The Genesis space capsule carrying solar wind particles will be plucked from nearly 1.5 kilometres above the Utah desert by stunt helicopter pilots who've replicated the retrieval, without fumbles, in nearly a dozen practice runs.

Heli Stunt

Nice! Wonder when the DVD will come out: "NASA Helicopter Stunts"

E_T

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I think you forgot to give link to mission's page:
www.genesismission.org...

And about returning of samples:
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yeah, it sounds cool, hopefully there successful. They only get one shot.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   

"The lead helicopter will deploy an eighteen-and-a-half foot long pole with what you could best describe as an oversized, Space-Age fishing hook on its end. When we make the approach we want the helicopter skids to be about eight feet above the top of the parafoil. If for some reason the capture is not successful, the second helicopter is 1,000 feet behind us and setting up for its approach. We estimate we will have five opportunities to achieve capture."
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

With five chances, this seems very achieveable, though no less difficult. At first I wondered why the re-entry could not be more traditional, but I guess the available space on the spacecraft limited the size of the parachute and other devices to protect the cargo.

[edit on 04/8/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I know, I meant they get no "do-overs" or "let me try one more time". I know they each have enough time to do a couple of passes but if they can't get it...Game Over

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   
This is not all that new. Remeber they used to recover CORONA satelite by this method, but they used a C-124 Globemaster to do it.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
This is not all that new. Remeber they used to recover CORONA satelite by this method, but they used a C-124 Globemaster to do it.

Yeah thats true, But this will be the first thing from beyond earth orbit, which adds pressure, and its more delicate and the most important item to ever have been "snaged" out of the sky to date.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Seems they suceeded without a hitch, they did hitch it

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I believe there is a NASA probe going to send a sample back from the sun? I think its called Genesis....not the ST:II/ST:III movie

Is the return vehicle going to use a similar tactic?

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rvfried
I believe there is a NASA probe going to send a sample back from the sun? I think its called Genesis....not the ST:II/ST:III movie

Is the return vehicle going to use a similar tactic?

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Yeah they will use the same tactic.

They will do this all again next year I believe, for the craft (i cant remember the name) went next to that one comets a$$ and collected tiny particales.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
cool artist rendering

new topics

top topics

join