It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Security disability on verge of insolvency

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

No doubt - but how do you root out the scammers? There's a LOT of em.
I see it all the time - people on disability for neck injury picking up and moving furniture - selling furniture at flea markets - every week - not just occasionally?

But, just personally, I can't figure out why if your family makes plenty to survive on without your income, you should get disability.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

because people dont pay into that "System" what they get out of it.

social security works by you paying all you life 6% and then pass the buck off to the employer who matches it at another 6% and then that gets passed off to the federal government who says look at all the cash and blows it and then looks for more suckers.

social security only works by putting a gun to peoples heads who are not currently using the system to pay for those who are and then rinse and repeat.

thats why its broke and thats why they are looking for newer victims to scam money out of.

and the fact is they threw maddoff in jail for what the government does on a daily basis.

and yes there is fraud running rampant throughout the system people are on them who shouldnt be but hey

this is america land of the entitlements where the i want it now and i dont care how generation has just got to have their free crap.

well i am here to tell us all and we all know aint nothing in the life ever free.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Why would they have to do any of that stuff when they have the magic money printing presses to solve all the world's problems?

Wiemar Republic here we come!

Weeeee!

we can outdo the wiemar republic, they had to print money.

with computers now it's it's just tell the secretary the number you need and press enter.

the computer giveth and the computer taketh away.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It's a tough subject because those who are young cannot envision a day when they might need it or even conceive of it surviving that long. it therefore means nothing to them so, they don't want to pay into it. If you begin subtracting deductions going into the program, it will most certainly fail regardless of any other problems.

Then there are those who don't like it because there is the political tag that links back over 70 years to a democrat president that is widely seen by the right as being too far left. Social Security was a benchmark piece of legislation for his administration and one of the longest enduring legacies of any modern president.

Then there is the view that anyone who collects disability is simply lazy. This form of stereotyping creates an avenue so that one does not have to admit that, yes, people can be serious messed up and need the program they paid into in order to survive. This also runs the convenient course of not having to admit that it could happen to them, as well.

Left in its original state, as a trust, the funds would be there and there would be no issues today with solvency. But both political parties like to spend... and despite what either side says, both parties like to spend a lot. So, when pocket change runs short for pet pork barrel projects, they had to find a source of cash. Making the Social Security trust available for their pleasures, robbed and gutted the whole thing. Of course, this is NOT their fault. It's yours... if you are collecting from the program you paid into.

If FDR had set the program up outside the reach of congress, it would not even be spoken of because, it would be clicking right along. Unfortunately, he made the mistake of trusting government to keep its word and bond with the people first... which was, in retrospect, absolutely ridiculous.

So... here we are with one segment of the public who paid into it and getting what they paid for... and another segment who resents the living hell out of them for just that very same reason.

Wonderful society we have here.
edit on 21-8-2011 by redoubt because: typo

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Those billions being handed over to Military Industrial Complex could help with this problem.

End the wars. SS isn't the scam here. Corporate welfare and perpetual war has bled this pig dry
edit on 21-8-2011 by illuminatislave because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminatislave

i am so sick of the "military industrial complex" bs with a massive debt called unfunded liabities this nation currently has it is utterly ridiculous.

social security
medicaid
medicare
unemployement insurance
welfare
prescirtion drug

we are talking over 100 trillion dollars promised that can NEVER BE PAID FOR

going after chump change and not anywhere even close to the real problem in this country.

www.usdebtclock.org...

those are the facts in a country of over 300 million people and only little over 110 million people who work and the rest just sit back and get their free money.

meh

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

those are the facts in a country of over 300 million people and only little over 110 million people who work and the rest just sit back and get their free money.

Yup, we could eliminate child labor laws, putting kids to work at age 6. What's the point of school, anyway?

And if the elderly can't work, just take their SS and toss them under a bus.

Disabled? Only the strong survive in labor camps.

Let's see... that ought to bring the work force up to speed. And dang it, someone will have to build the ovens. We can't waste good land burying people...
edit on 21-8-2011 by redoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar

how does on get on of those little signs for your car that says you can legally park in the handicapped spaces, I want one!!! ....

here in SC you must get your Primary Care Doctor to sign the application...

for 14 years now, i have not wanted to waste the Doctors time on such a trivial task, Oh... it also costs the applicant $15. for that disabled card for you to display on a rear-view mirror

next off there's a rumor that the cash strapped congress is going to pass a 'Transaction Fee' for all money transactions... like a SS direct deposit would qualify as a "Financial Transaction Fee", so would a Veterans check ... the banks figure that $3 per transaction fee would be proper, so your free checking would no longer be free...

Seems like its the season to "lets beat up on those receiving 'Entitlements'

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

maybe its not such a bad idea hell the school is worhtless producing worthless results which leads to the second point here of ss.

pass off all personal responsibilty to the government instead of taking care of their own business the fact remains the people who will and have throw then under the bus is the government.

no cost of living raise for 3 years with the future uncertain.

had they taking their own responsiblity into planning for their own golden years wouldnt matter what the government did..

not even going to acknowlegde the last comment because its not worth it.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by redoubt

maybe its not such a bad idea hell the school is worhtless producing worthless results which leads to the second point here of ss.

pass off all personal responsibilty to the government instead of taking care of their own business the fact remains the people who will and have throw then under the bus is the government.

no cost of living raise for 3 years with the future uncertain.

had they taking their own responsiblity into planning for their own golden years wouldnt matter what the government did..

not even going to acknowlegde the last comment because its not worth it.

Okay, so the last comment was a bit over the top but still... we're blaming the wrong people for the problem. Those who paid into and now collect are not the problem. And granted, some do scam the system but the sin is theirs, not everyone else s.

The government mismanaged the program... but instead of holding them accountable, we are ready to steal it from those who kept it going their entire working lives. That's illogical and just plain wrong.

If you want to fix the problem, go to the source; your government. If you want a knee jerk solution, refer to my previous post.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I know SEVERAL acquaintances who are COMPLETELY FAKING disability and wasting the TAX PAYERS money. This has GOT TO STOP!!!!!

I see them during the summer when I am on vacation from work. These people are the ones who carry large heavy coolers of beer to the apartment public pool, large radios and many other things at the same time walking a hundred yards to the pool while showing NO PAIN or discomfort WHATSOEVER!!!!

This goes on EVERY DAY, summer, after summer, after summer every year. They show ZERO pain or discomfort. Some have under the table jobs even for extra CASH along side of MY #ing hard-earned TAX DOLLARS.

Now, I am ALL FOR the TRULY DISABLED folks whom DESERVE IT. HECK, I would even happily pay MORE TAXES to help the truly disabled be able to survive. Absolutely 100% no problem. 100% more than HAPPY to help them get by. BUT, not the #ing FAKERS and SLACKERS. I DESPISE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

It is past due that ALL DISABILITY CLAIMS NEED TO BE RIGOROUSLY INVESTIGATED as THOROUGHLY and as SOON as possible. I bet MORE THAN HALF are FAKERS/SLACKERS and they are on vacation ALL YEAR ROUND while I MUST WORK 60 HOURS a week to get what they get FOR FREE!!! They are living pretty DARN good without earning it, and this is DRAINING our country.

edit on 21-8-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well, the alpha-males-on-sterroids warhawks in Washington, need all the money so that they can capture Qaddafi and take his corps to a CIA blacksite, and have their way from behind with it.

Because, I hear that if testosteronized men don't release the way they need to, it becomes unconfortable.

So, thats more important than all things sacred, good, prosperous, and alive.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I've been disabled and receiving social security disability since 1993. I had a serious heart disorder called cardiomyopathy of pregnancy during my first pregnancy. I was 23 years old. You can't tell I have a problem to look at me, but I can tell. Sometimes my heart beats off rhythm and I have a thickening in my aorta. My heart was enlarged many times it's normal size when I was diagnosed. I nearly died the night I had my daughter. People probably think I'm cheating the system since I appear ok. In fact, that worries me a lot.

Social security allows me to work up to a certain amount each month, and I do. I have for several years now. Therefore, I still pay in to the program. I don't think people should have to feel bad about accepting help if they need it. I'm grateful for having something that can help people in need. Could I make a decent living working? Maybe, if I want to die in a few years and leave two kids without a mother.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is: You can't always tell a disabled person from a healthy person without knowing their history. If we insist on cutting people off because they can work, we may create bigger problems. For example, if I were to be cut off ss, I would likely have to take a job that in my area would probably be long, hard hours in the heat in summer and not much better in winter. (aluminum foundry, food manufacturer) If my heart were to give out from the stress placed upon it, my family may be left without me. This would cause a great hardship on my family resulting in the need for other types of assistance. Same is true if my condition worsened and I couldn't work at all.

I agree there are people abusing the system, but I don't think it is as much of a problem as people may think. The process to get disability is not an easy one. It takes a long time and it requires a doctor to provide your records concerning your disability. Social security does periodic evaluations of a person's condition. I've had several of these. I also don't think there are an over-abundance of doctors willing to put their credentials on the line for a patient's desire to get out of working.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Well, the thing is, and I hate to say it, but there's not enough jobs anyway.

And it sucks.I imagine it is really, really hard for someone with a disability to find a job these days, if they are like borderline - not quite disabled enough to go on disability, but maybe they have a limp or something obvious to employers.

If they throw a lot of people off disability, fine, but then what? That's that many more people without jobs.
I really think though, they should limit it if someone has a spouse making a good wage or if someone has some huge amount of assets.
I'd like to see it be a program for people that need it to survive, not thrive.

That is not the case for most, but it is for some that I know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join