It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian stealth technology, real or CIA controlled?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I often read here about how the Soviets developed stealth technology. However, did they develop this with the use of stolen (purposely faulty) technology. The CIA slipped the flawed software to the Soviets in a way they would not detect it.

Thomas C. Reed, a former Air Force secretary and member of the National Security Council, describes this as the reason the Soviet Empire collasped, "In time the Soviets came to understand that they had been stealing bogus technology, but now what were they to do? By implication, every cell of the Soviet leviathan might be infected. They had no way of knowing which equipment was sound, which was bogus. All was suspect, which was the intended endgame for the entire operation."
US let Soviets obtain faulty technology

Thomas C. Reed Bio

So do the Soviets really have stealth, or can the U.S. blow up one of their planes (just like their gas pipeline)?

And what are the implactions for all the nations that received the flawed Soviet technology?

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Believe everything your governemtns throws to you.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
So the stolen technology was not faulty? or the stealth technology was neither stolen or faulty?

I'm trying to figure (as best we can) how accurate Russian stealth technology reports are. I heard an interview this morning, with this Reed fellow, and he included Soviet stealth technology as having been affected by the U.S. fed, trojan horse filled, technology.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I think the Russians can make stealth planes but just the whole cost of doing it is keeping them from producing any stealth planes. At least I think it would be one of the problems. The Berkut SU-47 design had a rotory internal missile system thats no doubt for stealth.

Though I am not sure what level stealth they can make F-117,F-22,B-2

I have heard stories of plamsa stealth but have never seen any proof of it.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
pyotr ufimtsov invented the rcs reduction algorithms, and the program with which you made f117 f22 etc.., guess where he is working now?
lokcheed martin.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Yeah its pretty amazing the orignal ideal how to design planes shapes with stealth in mind came from a Russian mathematician. And that his work was not even classified.

The program they made was Echo 1 from his work I think

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   
As far as I know it, the Russians haven't made a "stealth" plane yet.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kozzy
As far as I know it, the Russians haven't made a "stealth" plane yet.

pyotr ufimtsov invented rcs calculation algorithms, su-34, mig-1.44, su-47,tu-160,the new mig and su upgrades all incorporate lo technology.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Technically the RCS formula doesn't mean the russian mathematician invented stealth. All he did was give us a way to measure stealth no a way to make it get it through your heads! People still think he invented stealth

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Technically the RCS formula doesn't mean the russian mathematician invented stealth. All he did was give us a way to measure stealth no a way to make it get it through your heads! People still think he invented stealth

without rcs reduction method you wouldnt have any f117 or f22/b2,
, maybe had but only ram coatings

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hocico
pyotr ufimtsov invented the rcs reduction algorithms, and the program with which you made f117 f22 etc.., guess where he is working now?
lokcheed martin.

Actually this is kind of a stealth myth. Denys Overholser developed a program called Echo I that calculated the RCS of flat panels. However, it had a large amount of error in it. He discoved the Ufimtsev "Method of Edge Waves in the Physical Theory of Diffraction". It was a 40 page article and towards the end, he summarized a series of formulas derived by Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell 9about 100 years ago). These had been further refined by a German electromagnetic expert by the name Arnold Somerfeld. Based on the refinments that Ufimtsev proposed, Overholser wrote Echo II that was much more refined than Echo I

Ufimtsev later taught at UCLA in 1990. I did not know he worked for Lockheed at this time though.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
This is the thread I started that details a declassified CIA report on Soviet reactions to the development of Stealth and thier developements in the area
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Yes
The Russian kept eye on the US technology. But not or using it, just to keep track. Although they were allowed secretly to steal the faulty technology, they were fare most superior that even the US real technology couldnt match.
Could you imagine a powerful beam weapon, more than 20 years ago?
The Spliting of USSR is not their defeat. Proper things will happen on right time. There is still the technology higher than our imagination. The thing is they dont propogate or show off like our Americans.
good wishes.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by plasmamorph

Could you imagine a powerful beam weapon, more than 20 years ago?
The Spliting of USSR is not their defeat. Proper things will happen on right time. There is still the technology higher than our imagination. The thing is they dont propogate or show off like our Americans.
good wishes.

I hope you dont think the US is tipping their hand when it comes to military technology. The US has a black budget that would make Russia drool right now. Believe me they only show you what they want you to see and thats not much.

[edit on 15-9-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Military budgets

$ 379 billion (2003) - United States
$48 billion - increase from Fiscal 2002 to 2003

$ 29 billion ( 2000 ) - Russia
---------------------------------------------------------------
$ 30 billion US black budget estimated

Whos going to have the better secret toys?

www.clw.org...

www.wired.com...

[edit on 15-9-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
It's well-known that flawed blueprints for the Concorde were slipped to the Soviets, resulting in the Soviet copy crashing.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
It's well-known that flawed blueprints for the Concorde were slipped to the Soviets, resulting in the Soviet copy crashing.

Really never heard of that interesting. Who slipped them plans was this alittle double agent action?

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   
They realized that the Soviets were trying to get the Concorde details to make their own SST. They got sick of intercepting spies and when a spy tried to pick up runway tire scrapings from a Concorde landing (to learn about the tires) they replaced it with some burnt bubble gum. Then they let some plans that seemed very authentic but with serious airframe deficiencies slip into the grasp of a known spy. Whether the Soviets realized this or not, their SST broke up at the Paris airshow in '73 when performing a -1 g manuever, killing 6 crew and 8 civilians.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu

The russian plane exceeeded its design limits trying to avoid a French Jet that went up to photograph the plane in flight. Why would the french launch a plane and fly it in the vacinity of plane doing a flight demonstration? ANyway both sides covered it up and the investigation went noware.

new topics

top topics

join