It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STG 44 or AK 47. Which is better?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I go german! Precise fire bursts over mindless spraying for the win.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Just use single shot, one shot from an AK will stop anything. Only use full auto for suppressing fire

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Definitely the AK-47 very easy to get very easy to use and a great gun.
It's probably one of the best guns ever produced.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
For me,neither of those would be my first choice,however of the two,the AK would get my vote purely because of the simplicity of its construction and its ability to absorb all manner of abuse and still function,although the 44 is generally regarded to be a more accurate weapon,the primary purpose of these two is area clearance where pinpoint accuracy is of secondary importance.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by felonius

ahmm , please present the evidence sir about ak being german...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by USAisdevil
reply to post by felonius

ahmm , please present the evidence sir about ak being german...

The ak isn't actually German, the IDEA is...the SG is the first "assault rifle" prior to it you either had a full fledged battle rifle with a rifle round or a subgun with a pistol round. The SG is the first "go between" with an intermediate rifle round. The AK is based off of that design. Today intermediate rifle rounds rule the day with the 5.56, 7.62x39 & 5.45 being most popular. These rounds are not considered "true" full powered rifle rounds by many as opposed to rounds like the 7.62x51, 7.62x54r, .303 and 30-06.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
During WWII the Germans analyzed battle statistics and found most gun fights occurred at under 350 meters, esp. in urban environments. They developed the STG 44 to meet this new battle assessment. Hitler, being the genius he was
originally opposed the new weapon. He was later convinced, and fortunately delayed the introduction of the weapon.

The STG 44 would be nice to have as a collectors item, but the AK 47 is the better weapon overall.

The AK 47 was not a direct copy of the German assault rifle:

The AK-47 is best described as a hybrid of previous rifle technology innovations: the trigger, double locking lugs and unlocking raceway of the M1 Garand/M1 carbine,[13] the safety mechanism of the John Browning designed Remington Model 8 rifle,[14] and the gas system and layout of the Sturmgewehr 44.

Link

Mikhail Kalashnikov deserves full credit for developing a war winning weapon.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by therealwolf90

.357 mag
mp5
remm 12g riot shot gun
It's on the individual... Glock for my wife though 10mm...
just picked up a 2yr old shep from a trainer/breeder. very expensive for us but add the shep to home security and I think well be able to ride this out..

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

AK all the way.. personally 357/mp5/remm 380 riot/10mm glock(for my wife).but we did get a 2 yr old german shepp. spent a good amount and feel very good about our home security when shtf..

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

You stole my thunder LOL!

thanks

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
AK-47 is much better in my opinion. I just shot mine yesterday, shot 500 rounds with not a single jam. Love the gun, easy to use, easy to clean and take apart, and cheap ammo. Not much else to say about this .

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Wow i didnt reallise you were comparing the WW2 STG .44 ? and the more modern AK-47

I would think the main issue in a SHTF scenario would be that the STG would have extremely limited ammo as other posters have said as im sure its not a very standard caliber of bullet.

As for the AK-47 extremely powerful and as others have also said, not very accurate on full auto, but im sure if a group of enemies are close enough to warrant a full auto spray, im sure you wont miss them too much or it would be your ass.

As for the idea of the AK-47 with the Drum magazine, damn that gets me going that sounds tasty
RPK with Drum mag
*drools

I dont even own any weapons and i love them haha, guns are awesome.

edit on 22-8-2011 by Vanishr because: Added Awesome AK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The Russian tanker (can't spell his name but it's like Kalishnakough) Saw the power and use of the STG 44 and while recovering in hospital he designed the AK around the STG 44's design.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Kalashnikov ?
edit on 22-8-2011 by Vanishr because: Added an 'a'

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

please provide evidence that ak was based on german design .... you havent provided proof

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by USAisdevil

please provide evidence that ak was based on german design .... you havent provided proof

The proof is common sense, if you have a fundamental understanding of how firearms work the similarities are blatant. Its not a direct copy like the vz 58, it's a copy of the IDEA or concept of an assault rifle. I explained this in my previous post. I urge you to do your due dilligence and find out the answers on your own, if you are looking for definitive proof that the Avtomat Kalashnikova was inspired by the SG, it doesn't exist as Im pretty sure Kalashnikov never actually admitted using the sturmgewehr as an inspiration. The only proof is deductive reasoning.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by felonius

You stole my thunder LOL!

thanks

Anytime!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
As mentioned earlier, are we really choosing between a WWII weapon and a modern one? Because in a firefight I'd go with the AK any day, reliable as hell and with a very good punch. If well used it is also fairly acurate, just less so than the M16 type weapons (I know people who have done a little fooling around with sights and claim with the same sight the two weapons are equally accurate, though I don't personally know how true this is). Out side of needing the AK for practical use, I would kill to be able to get my hands on a STG-44 because of the history, as the first AR to be mass produced and used (I don't know if it was the first made though)
edit on 22-8-2011 by JDBlack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Actually STG-44 is identical to a Cetme or HK 91 except the (cetme & 91) are .308.
But it has the same operating system , fluted chamber and locking rollers.
So i would take a HK 91 in .308 any day over a ak47.
In my opinion most AK's are junk except for a few brands that have a milled receiver.
The majority of them are not accurate, but they are very reliable.
But so is the cetme or 91.
And .308 is plentiful and a powerhouse of a round.
You can get far more accuracy and distance out of it than an AK.
Hope that helps.

Ooopps sorry error Cetme and HK91 have the same action as a STG-45 not an STG-44 sorry.

edit on 23-8-2011 by shtf2012 because: Error

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It all really boils down to what you want it for. If you want it for hunting, accuracy is going to be a big deal. If you want it for a survival [SHTF] situation, accuracy still plays a large part. But how easy is it to find ammo and spare parts? Can you break it down and repair it in the field without special tools? You'll have to consider a lot of points to decide which is best for YOU.

<< 1    3 >>

join