It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feeling low , depressed or lacking motivation ? Try this simple experiment ....100% success

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Man, I just sent this to my 81 year old grandfather.

Now he's REALLY depressed

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Between that and a load of Prozac you should be sorted!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeMoveUnseen
reply to post by tpg65

Treating severe depression really isn't that simple.

I agree. It's a cute trick or whatever but a serious chemical imbalance isn't going to be solved this way.

Edit: Although I will say thanks for your effort OP and I know your heart is in the right place.

I feel like what you say has truth to it but to say it's 100% effective... well, it's not.
edit on 8/21/2011 by DieBravely because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Naahhh, I used to be obsessed with the fear of death but not anymore.Now it's the only thing keeping me going.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I've tried everything in the book. Nothing seems to fix complex ptsd.

Thanks for showing some good intentions, anyway.

Peace

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I've tried everything in the book. Nothing seems to fix complex ptsd.

Thanks for showing some good intentions, anyway.

Peace

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'm not sure what's better. Knowing you have to go through all the crap in life just to reach that age to die, or the fact that you are going to come back here after wards to relive it all over again in another body.

Anyone selling shuttle tickets to Alpha Centauri? Willing to pay in gold bars.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Cheers for the inspirational thoughts OP.
Even thought it might not work for me, whether it works, or it doesn't, sometimes just knowing that there are people that care enough to try and make people feel better, gives me a little lift.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I really needed that, thanks!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenChild

Man, I just sent this to my 81 year old grandfather.

Now he's REALLY depressed

maybe he's just really worried about his grandson who he now knows doesn't stand a chance of being a mcDonald's cashier.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
While the intent was well meaning, anyone who this "trick" works for doesn't know the meaning of "depression". Maybe "sad" or "down", but not depressed. I would define depression as a permanent sense of worthlessness where even the most exciting or happy situation only provides a moment of slight elation. When your only escape from being depressed is drugs, drink or sleep...THEN you are depressed.

Good night!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

But what if you already are 80 and at deaths door? Then what good it is?

Not that I am.....but I'm just sayin'. It can't work for everybody!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ariele
reply to post by WeMoveUnseen

i just posted a post about antidepressants. Can you share your thoughts please? I want to hear your story

I have been on antidepressants.

I would NOT recommend them, especially if the depression is not suicidal.

I was told that they would help me to get over the initial depression and get some control back, which they did, but then I found they were disturbing my sleep and they were NOT easy to wean oneself off.

They are addictive and decidedly you don't feel exactly right while on them.

The longer I took them, the more negative aspects they had on my life.

In the end, I got over the worst of the depression by "objectifying" it.

The depression was screwing up my life and had no right to! I became actively angry with my depression and "used" that anger to push myself in sports and physical activities.

Afterwards I felt I had "burned off" all that anger and aggression and could get my life back in order (probably very much a guy thing, relating to testosterone). (A good friend of mine actually described depression as "anger without enthusiasm", which I kind of liked).

The anti-depressants, though were harder to purge out of my life but I did by reducing the dose very slowly and affirming to myself that I didn't actually need them at all.

Just my 2cents.

PS, if your doctor prescribes them, ask him if he has a regime that will assist you back off them when things improve. He might think again before offering what to him is a quick fix.

Also, depression is a complex beast and what worked for me may not work for you. So be wise and look for methods of coping and overcoming.

Although you may not feel like it, an understanding friend or partner is probably dying to help you back on your feet, so look for people who are close to you and are enthusiastic to assist and help them help you!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
After reading this i feel a lot better thanks really helpful

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
...but i am 80.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Appreciating what you have and committing to making every day worthwhile goes a long way towards combating depression. I'm thankful for what I have and I've worked very hard to get it. I also appreciate the people that have helped me along the way.

Even if you're not religious, I've always found that the phrase "God helps those who help themselves" works in a lot of situations.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Once upon a time I was suffering severe clinical depression. It's long in my past now but I still have vivid memories of what I went through. Absolutely nothing against your effort here in the OP but I can confidently say this exercise would have done little to quell my state of mind at that time. I was prescribed anti depressants which I believe only made matters worse and would not endorse them in the slightest.

However in saying all that, people suffering depression hold the key to their own fate. It's up to themselves to make a choice in which outcome is to come to fruition. Reading an OP like this might certainly provide that little ounce of hope for some, hope that some people do care, enough so for them to make that choice. I applaud you for your attempt to make a difference if nothing else.

Well done S&F for you!
edit on 22/8/2011 by TOMFROMOZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

i just posted a post about antidepressants. Can you share your thoughts please? I want to hear your story

Sorry to depressed to bother.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

I was once on clinical antidepressants.... back in 2001/2002

the stuff they gave me, made me feel nothing

yes thats right - nothing

I didn't feel sad, or happy, hungry, or full, thirsty or bloated, love or hate, in fact I felt nothing - which is what the medication was designed to do

apparently you have to be weaned off this stuff as its like a barbiturate or similar

anyway, I have to say I found the drug so depressing I called the doctor and said;

" this drug is depressing as I cannot feel ANYTHING, I am sick of taking it, and I am sick of being depressed, so I am not taking it any more and not being depressed any more - period"

don't laugh - it worked!!!

and never recurred

edit on 22-8-2011 by Highlander64 because: spelling grammar and punctuation

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Highlander64

I was once on clinical antidepressants.... back in 2001/2002

the stuff they gave me, made me feel nothing

yes thats right - nothing

I didn't feel sad, or happy, hungry, or full, thirsty or bloated, love or hate, in fact I felt nothing - which is what the medication ws designed to do

apparently you have to be weaned off this stuff as its like a barbiturate or similar

anyway, I have to say I foundthe drug so depressing I called the doctor and said;

" this drug is depressing as I cannot feel ANYTHING, I am sick of taking it, and I am sick of being depressed, so I am not taking it any more and not being depressed any more - period"

don't laugh - it worked!!!

strange.
I guess in a rough way maybe it cured you.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join