It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feeling low , depressed or lacking motivation ? Try this simple experiment ....100% success

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65

Originally posted by illuminatislave
Even if this isn't a cure all for depression, it does help to think of things in a different light. Great post.

Thank you for your support.
Since I learned this , my outlook on life has completely changed and all it took was a little imagination .

Terry

No problem.

As someone who has dealt with depression issues in the past, this way of thinking does go a long way imo. My heart does go out to those who have severe clinical depression though, because when your sense of worth is gone and you feel like life isn't worth living, it's very hard to climb out of the abyss on your own.

I will share something though, I found out that my mood became a lot better over the years once I started to religiously include Omega 3 fishoil into my diet. Sometimes I think that the chemicals in the foods we eat, water we drink, and air we breathe also contribute to a person's depression that stems from something in their past or life.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Even if this isn't a cure all for depression, it does help to think of things in a different light. Great post.

Thank you for your support.
Since I learned this , my outlook on life has completely changed and all it took was a little imagination .

Terry

No problem.

As someone who has dealt with depression issues in the past, this way of thinking does go a long way imo. My heart does go out to those who have severe clinical depression though, because when your sense of worth is gone and you feel like life isn't worth living, it's very hard to climb out of the abyss on your own.

I will share something though, I found out that my mood became a lot better over the years once I started to religiously include Omega 3 fishoil into my diet. Sometimes I think that the chemicals in the foods we eat, water we drink, and air we breathe also contribute to a person's depression that stems from something in their past or life.

I couldn't agree more about the chemicals we ingest and also the ones that we lack.
Great post .

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Glad positive thinking works for some people. They never work for me. When I am having an episode, I am somewhat not in control of my thoughts. It is almost like an out-of-body experience. I feel pushed to the back of my mind while some monster takes over. And when it takes over....all I can do is wait it out. Only medication stops it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

I can relate to what you say. I am 34. I've tried to imagine being older before. I've known older people for a long time. I've thought about aging and death off and on for years.

A lot of times we're not creative enough to really appreciate what we have. We all take things for granted. We get stuck in our routines. And time just passes us by. A wind that blows. Here and gone. Comes again. The stars turn and shift ever so slightly each night. The leaves come down every fall. The sun rises spring and summer. Same trivial arguments come and go. The tape repeats. But we want to enjoy what we have. So we try our best not to notice.

The years, they start to pass by one after the other, in a blur.

I honestly think that change is what people need, but it can also be the hardest thing to do. I think our country is over-medicated. I do think some people have genuine clinical depression. However, i think a great number of people are medicated who should not be. But do we have an easier answer? I am not sure we do. Changing people. or changing their environment, in non-invasive ways, is not easy to do either. Moving a person to another state costs money. Encouraging a person to make new friends doesn't happen with the snap of your fingers. People can't easily change their habits to acquire better ones. So maybe what we're doing now is the best answer. Or maybe we will yet find it. I hope for the well being of people that we do.

If we could really feel 80 and know all those years that're gone, we would better appreciate our youth. So the OP is right. But that's not possible without it actually happening. This is the source of hte problem. The OP wants an easy answer, but there is none, yet. Answers are expensive.

I've always had those weird moments where my youth makes me feel guilty. I know that someone older was young at one point, but it does not relieve their pain they're experiencing. Knowing that they had a chance to be young does not remove the emotional pain of watching them slowly die or lose the function of their body over time. Old age is a nasty thing.

I sometimes look at the old photos of my parents and grandparents from when they were young. I have photos of them when they were kids and teenagers. The pictures don't tell me what was going on much, but they do show that these graying elders - who fret each year about something else in their body breaking - were young when these pictures were made. Young, like us. Or like we were. It's hard to go back to that picture, the 1950's. To smell the air and hear the cars on the roads. Hear the locals celebrate the holidays. The weddings of two hopeful lovers. So many things I cannot appreciate in my mind. I just have a picture. I go back to the pictures sometimes. Look at my dad when he was my age. He was so young. Just like me. I always hope to find something, a secret or a trick. I want to know what this all is. Looking for answers.
edit on 21-8-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Hi Jonny.
my aim is not to try to find an easy fix . This excercise was never meant for people with a clinical disorder , more for the people who feel down and lack motivation.

But it has achieved something good .....People have spoken about their conditions , where they probably wouldn't normally , so it has to be a good thing ?

Regards .

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

It is good. I think it's just understanding our reality better. Maybe that helps.

Reality is like a ball of yarn. Have to be able to unravel and to use it. Need some skill.
edit on 21-8-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Well, it would be better to set a pretend trap for yourself in thought than to set an actual trap for yourself and a lot of the methods and tools that are used do exactly that. if it is meant to constrain something there are often traps involved. Traps of thoughts, actions, words, brain chemicals. All just tools. This one has a side and after effect of everything going back to the way it was so at least it's non-toxic.
edit on 21-8-2011 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
There are no traps involved with this exercise .
All one is doing is imagining oneself in a worse situation and then learning to make the best of the little time we have on this planet .
It really is that simple ....Why complicate things ?

Regards

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

I have suffered postnatal depression in the past and when you say imagine you were 80yrs old yesterday and death is imanant......well i would have most likely had thought, great then tomorrow will be no more and I will no longer feel the way I do.

See when I had depression all I could think of was not being here any longer. I just wanted it all to stop and to not live anymore! Thankfully I was to scared to take my own life and the thought of my son having no mother really made me think that its not the right decision.

I think that no one way will help every person who sufferes from depression. There are many shapes and forms of depression to start with. But there will be a way for each of us to brake free from it

I got through mine thank god and went on to have anther child 3yrs later with no postnatal depression.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

There are no traps involved with this exercise .
All one is doing is imagining oneself in a worse situation and then learning to make the best of the little time we have on this planet .
It really is that simple ....Why complicate things ?

Regards

Nothing is complicated about setting a mental trap for yourself. I don't know why you would think it is or why you would even ask that. I really don't understand where that question is coming from.

As I assume you realize I was trying to give credit to your idea but still do think it is setting a trap for your train of thought. That is exactly what you are doing. You are putting yourself inside a cage and forgetting that you have the key so that when you allow yourself to realize you have it, you feel some sense of liberation that is meant to inspire you. That is not complicated and i am not making it complicated. I am merely pointing out what is that you are doing and here is why.

I'm sure you know the method you describe is not going to work for everyone because well, some people are already old... furthermore, since when did old necessarily become a worse situation to be in? Just take a look at antiques and very wise people to know that value and age can vary as well as the level of one's happiness. I mean, given the logic that age is indicative of happiness would make one think that babies would be born laughing hysterically instead of screaming their heads off.

...and how do you imagine being old anyway? hopefully by being smarter... or do you just imagine having wrinkly skin and being tired? I'm seriously asking.

Wouldn't it just be easier to go hang out with old people so others can benefit as well?

... but then you have to face the fact that a lot of people who work around the elderly claim to have depression because of it, so then you have to wonder if imagining yourself as old and hopeless is really as healthy as it seems.

NOW you may call it complicated.

edit on 21-8-2011 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

What a lovely post .
I'm so glad you got through such a bad period .
live a long life and be happy , my friend

Terry

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
lol what if you are 80 and depressed? you imagine you were 120 yesterday ?
).

Things are more complicated with severe depression , some people could say they wish they were 80 so things will be over soon.

Myself I can say that every time I am feeling low, not the people but the nature is my best remedy. Just go in the wild for a week, enjoy nature and solitude. As I said, this works for me. People are different so everyone should find their own way.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian
lol what if you are 80 and depressed? you imagine you were 120 yesterday ?
).

Things are more complicated with severe depression , some people could say they wish they were 80 so things will be over soon.

Myself I can say that every time I am feeling low, not the people but the nature is my best remedy. Just go in the wild for a week, enjoy nature and solitude. As I said, this works for me. People are different so everyone should find their own way.

I have been meaning to go camping or swimming for the health benefits lately because sitting out in the yard getting burned or bitten is no good, but I get so bored going and doing things like that. Even though it's so pretty... so boring.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

Please read the OP again .
It states that it is not meant for people with clinical depression.

There is a huge difference between being depressed and suffering from depression.

I'm so glad you have found a way that works for you .

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I tried it it, made me feel worse. Like a shot in the gut that I am going to die one day. How willI be successful during the rest of my life?Will I live up to my expectations and my child's? Also, I am going to have to live on this planet with psychopath ruling the world. Its depressing to think we are going to have to work for the rest of our lives and give more than half to the goverment. I enjoy working but not like that
I am not one to walk on sandy beaches, tried it not exciting. Always seemed kind of lonely. I miss the good old days when we had community activities. Now its facebook and social media. Its not the same and it isn't going to get any better.
I feel much better now that I got that off my chest. I think I will go to the lake today with my son and swim. Thats a good day

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jlafleur02

community activities and social events don't just happen , they need to be arranged .
if you miss them so much , why not organise something for your community ?
Once the ball starts rolling , you never know where it will stop .

Good luck

Terry

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Cool story bro.
Really, that is amazing stuff. Are you a genius? Is that you Stephen Hawking?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I beleive thoughts create reality. I beleive that I can't spell believe or a lot of other words for that matter. But thoughts do create reality and you have to put INTENTION behind them. It's just that things happen so slowly in the third dimension, we a lot of times just don't notice that we created what we are experiencing. I know that you can mentally muscle your own way out of depression. You have got to control your own thoughts and emotions, they are very potent energy and they ARE YOURS. Learn to wield them and create your own reality.

"Biocentrism" by Robert Lanza MD- thought creates. www.robertlanza.com...

Go create something beautiful, you beautiful little kid!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Here's another one to induce a sense of well being.

Pretend everyone is a genius who is just playing along with a silly game, they all have your best interest at heart and everything is going according to plan.

Yeeeah.

Expect some pitfalls with that one.

There WILL be setbacks in maintaining that one.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

OP This is an excellent piece of advice. I'm not sure why some think that you're attempting to cure clinical depression...you're just giving one way to be grateful for what you have in life

For some reason I constantly revisit the idea of myself in 30 years in the midst of a midlife crisis in the suburbs and willing to trade anything to go back in time and live my life differently - I'm 24 years old and anytime I consider a bigger life decision, I think of what myself at 55 would have to say about it. He usually has some good advice

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join