It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I heard tha babies are born as atheist and solipsist. I want the scientific research for this!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Not that I wouldn't believe it. I just want to see the research because it sounds interesting.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review Link

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware
of news, current events, or important information from other sites, please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, and your opinion on the information as
a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.
edit on 8/21/2011 by maria_stardust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

How can a baby be born with religious beliefs? The society, parents, schools, etc. are responsible for indoctrinating or educating the kids while they grow and develop. I don't know where you heard about it,but it was probably meant as a joke

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
LOL...officially the most stupid thread ever posted.

If you dont understand that kids are indoctrinated into believing in sky fairies....damn

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
research?

wtf?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Widen the question out

What if human’s lost our books, art, ability to speak – everything if we where thrown back to our very beginning and had to climb back to where we are now

At what point would we rediscover that bible god had a son called Jesus or that Allah had a profit called Mohammad?

There’s nothing in the world that would lead us to rediscover any current religions it all has to be taught to children

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Not that I wouldn't believe it. I just want to see the research because it sounds interesting.

You want ME to research data for your thread...? I think you got confused there for a minute, buddy. See you are supposed to present a concept, complete with sources and such, and I am supposed to read it and either comment or move along.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
At least by reading the OP - which by the way is shorter than its title - I found out that some children can be born as complete retards, and their condition is getting worse with them ageing. Normal children are born with instincts and genetic ancestral memory, and none of these has anything to do with any pros and cons of - burp! - religion. Back to your medication...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

You could possibly start from where you 'heard' this, and then all the 'researchers' of research (Wiki-philes etc) on ATS can tune in.
edit on 21-8-2011 by bogomil because: syntax

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

The science of the mind By Owen J. Flanagan (which I found out about via Wikipedia):

The infant sees the world as populated by objects which come in and out of view and which, therefore, from her egocentric perspective, come in and out of existence. Epistemically the infant's world is utterly solipsistic: objects exist only if they are in view. This is evidenced, according to Piaget, by the fact that children under six months do not search for objects removed from sight. For example, they will not search for a treasured rattle if it is placed under a handkerchief.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I'm a bit rusty on the latest contemporary psychological models, so this is only an educated guess: You are talking about socalled gestalt-psychology, which generally is accepted as valid (based on experiments and observations).

Gestalt psychology says, that incoming stimuli are increasingly organized in structures, forming what we consider meaningful patterns (i.e. 'meaningful' from genetic or social perspectives as 'functional'. But that's another and longer story).

Inversely gestalt-psychology gives rise to the psychological 'filter-theory', where the 'meaningless' is sorted away.

For a small child there doesn't exist any known 'god-concept' mechanisms, neither genetically or socially (until symbols or speech become part of its perception/understanding) from where any 'god-thingies' can arise; and in any case more complex religions are outside the child's scope, as such religions necessitate some capacity for causality.

So a 'god' (or similar metaphysical phenomenon) would only include theism/atheism on exactly the same conditions as grown-ups have: Is this something externally 'real'. Nothing in their growing 'gestalts' would lead them to it.

Solipsism: Children do not live completely in isolation from the external world. When the physical (genetic) needs manifest they communicate with the external world and responds to what happens 'out there'. E.g. did I read once, that children of deaf parents don't scream much. It simply doesn't pay.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil
reply to post by arpgme

Solipsism: Children do not live completely in isolation from the external world. When the physical (genetic) needs manifest they communicate with the external world and responds to what happens 'out there'. E.g. did I read once, that children of deaf parents don't scream much. It simply doesn't pay.

Not even solipsists live completely in isolation from the external world....

The infant sees the world as populated by objects which come in and out of view and which, therefore, from her egocentric perspective, come in and out of existence. Epistemically the infant's world is utterly SOLIPSISTIC: objects exist only if they are in view. This is evidenced, according to Piaget, by the fact that children under six months do not search for objects removed from sight. For example, they will not search for a treasured rattle if it is placed under a handkerchief.

new topics

top topics

join