It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New zealands dark secrets

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
NZ is a very violent place.There is a undercurrent that tourist don't see.The gang violence is huge as well as the racial tension.Once the sun goes down,don't walk the streets alone.I have had alot of personal experience with the gang viiolence.The movie Once we were Warriors which shocked the world is lame in comparasion to the reailty.Rape is shocking over there,estimate one in three.More like one in two.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

I understand that you are probably exaggerating, but one in two? I agree that New Zealand has a dark side which is not often seen by tourists, much like any other country. Some area's are best avoided, while some are relatively safe and calm. There are many towns where you can safely walk alone at night. We can safely send our children alone on buses without fear (this was quite a shock to a South African I work with.). We can explore much of our country without being afraid for our safety and well being.

We do have a problem with drugs, mainly alcohol and methamphetamine, and there is a culture of violence within some parts of New Zealand. But in saying that, New Zealand is a country I love, and I would happily raise children here. It is a beautiful country with (mostly) beautiful people. There are always a few bad apples, and they can tarnish the reputations of the rest of us. Whilst there is certainly aspects of society that can improve, as someone born and raised here, I don't think it's as bad as the article, or the poster above me, make it out to be.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curious and Concerned
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

I understand that you are probably exaggerating, but one in two? I agree that New Zealand has a dark side which is not often seen by tourists, much like any other country. Some area's are best avoided, while some are relatively safe and calm. There are many towns where you can safely walk alone at night. We can safely send our children alone on buses without fear (this was quite a shock to a South African I work with.). We can explore much of our country without being afraid for our safety and well being.

We do have a problem with drugs, mainly alcohol and methamphetamine, and there is a culture of violence within some parts of New Zealand. But in saying that, New Zealand is a country I love, and I would happily raise children here. It is a beautiful country with (mostly) beautiful people. There are always a few bad apples, and they can tarnish the reputations of the rest of us. Whilst there is certainly aspects of society that can improve, as someone born and raised here, I don't think it's as bad as the article, or the poster above me, make it out to be.

Quoted in entirety because I agree with what you say. Essentially New Zealand is a bit of a 'Curate's Egg'.

One poster questioned the use of the word "hoon". That word has been used in New Zealand for decades. Nowadays, they are probably 'bogans'.

I can't wait (sarcasm) until we lose the Rugby World Cup and then our domestic violence figures will go through the roof.

I did enjoy the irony of a poster questioning the age of a mod and then proceeding to write in txtese, thereby giving the impression of being of school age.
edit on 21-8-2011 by aorAki because: bracketeering

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Sorry,I'm not exaggerating.1 in 3 is the statistic.2 in 3 is my opinion.I have close family members who have been raped multiple times(different offenders),former girlfriends and girls I have gone to school or worked with.Because of my personality these girls would come to me for help.My involvement with the gang culture,was hunting these people down and hurting them! (not that all were gang related).
Because of this is I left the Country,I feared I would not be able to stop one day and end up killing them.My ex girl friend was raped as a pay back to me.I have to live with that.
If the people close to you have been spared this,then you have been blessed.To be honest friend I doubt this is the case.Very few will ever speak of this.It is sadly very common.
Peace to you.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

I know the term hoon has been used for ages here in NZ - but I have never heard it used to describe the "underclass of New Zealand"

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Ah, true...I guess the term is just "poor people"?

@13th Zodiac, maybe it was the people you hung around with that skewed the figures for you.

I know of a few (3) personally who have been raped and I know one rapist. That doesn't say there aren't any more, but I think your personal situation skewed the statistics for you.

edit on 21-8-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
link doesn't work for me.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Ariele

Unfortunately, child abuse and child deaths/murders is so rife and almost solely committed by Maoris and Islanders. I'm not surprised by the statistics and you'll find similar numbers among the Australian Aboriginals also. It's absolutely appauling.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

It is hard to believe, since i am not from there. That's why i posted this to see if people who are from there can tell me otherwise..there is always 2 sides of every story, you know what i mean?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac

Sorry,I'm not exaggerating.1 in 3 is the statistic.2 in 3 is my opinion.

Well, I'm sorry, but that is a huge exaggeration. The official statistics from police for the past 3 years have an average of 6.54 per 10,000 population[1]. This is for all sexual assault, so encompasses all sexual related assaults, as well as rape. And I know just as well as you do that there are many rapes that go unreported. I have seen studies estimate this at about 9/10 that don't get reported. Yet even if you multiply the official figures by 10, and estimate that half of the 10,000 population are female, this gives an estimation of 1 in 75 rapes per female. This is obviously, far, far less than the 1 in 3 statistic you have stated. For your estimate of 2 in 3, there would have to be 509 rapes unreported for every 1 sexual assault that gets reported. I think most would agree that this is highly improbable.

By the sounds of it you may have been associating with some of the "bad apples" I mentioned earlier, and I am deeply sorry to hear about your experiences. I know that chances are that someone I know may have been raped. But I must say that I don't think your experiences are indicative of the entire country and it's people. I know there are parts of this country that are bad, but they are still far less dangerous than other places around the world such as South Africa. And I've heard from friends and family of very similar, if not worse conditions in Australia in terms of violence and rape. Despite your experiences, I still feel safe in this country, much like many others.

I hope that all is going well with you now, and that the move has helped. Peace.

[1]Source:NZ Crime Statistics

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Ariele

Unfortunately, child abuse and child deaths/murders is so rife and almost solely committed by Maoris and Islanders. I'm not surprised by the statistics and you'll find similar numbers among the Australian Aboriginals also. It's absolutely appauling.

I disagree that child abuse is "almost solely committed by Maoris and Islanders". It is definitely a problem, and Maori and Pacific people are definitely over represented in these crimes compared to their population, but there are certainly similar crimes committed by Pakeha (European) and other ethnicities as well. Blaming entire races is not an effective way of looking at the problem. I believe it has far more to do with social circumstances, such as poverty and unemployment, than race alone. Of course Maori and Pacific are over represented in these areas as well, which is something that needs to be addressed.

I can see how it is easy to make such generalisations though. Especially if you see the "gangster" culture prevalent amongst many South Auckland youths (and others), and the over representation of Maori/PI on Police Ten 7 (NZ's version of Americas Most Wanted). But if you venture to other parts of the country such as East Cape, and see the happiness and love amongst some Maori communities, it is hard to make the same broad statements about them. I agree though that it is appalling, and I fear that it is an issue that has no easy fix.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
And to think i was considering moving there, believing that because it was an English speaking mostly white island with minimal dangers, unlike Australia it would be a great place to get lost in....now I'm wondering if i should even think of it and go somewhere lame like the virgin islands???

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Don't bother moving here if you want to be in a 'mostly white' place.
We have enough bigots already.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
Don't bother moving here if you want to be in a 'mostly white' place.
We have enough bigots already.

No offense I'm not a bigot and that's not how i meant it.
for your information i spend 75% of my time hanging with the native americans doing tribal things, so i'm fully aware of everything that goes on in native cultures and what crap the government feeds the people, and especially the rich jerks who don't think their crap stinks, if anything I'm an asset to whatever culture accepts me into their tribe

edit on 22-8-2011 by anumohi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I would just like to say that after thinking things over for a while, I realised that the statistics I found were based on yearly figures. After looking over the numbers and doing some preliminary calculations, I was thinking in terms of offences per year. This is not able to be accurately compared with the figures over a lifetime, as I believe 13th Zodiac's figures represented. I apologise if this has caused some difficulty or confusion.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
All the whiteys from NZ can come to OZ, we will welcome you. No More Maoris tho thanks, there is enough here already.
Cant compare the Maoris to The Australian first natives.
The Dark man (he was probably light skinned when he started out, Ice age times etc), has been here for anything up to 100,000 years, and early Homosapiens even longer.
The Maoris have a DNA related to the Taiwanese people, so they are essentially of Chinese descent.
And they only arrived in NZ, 1000 or so years ago.
Let them live there in peace with the Hobbits and Orks.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ariele

I'm NZ born and hardly a week goes by without a severe child abuse story in the NZ Herald; unfortunately, too many babies and young kids are dying at the hands of Maoris and Islanders in NZ; this is NZ's biggest shame.

www.abc.net.au...

tvnz.co.nz...

One in four Maori women are sexually abused:

www.stuff.co.nz...

And this is about all the politicians could come up with:

www.nzherald.co.nz...

www.nzherald.co.nz...

Here's our next big shame:

NZ women promiscuous:

www.nzherald.co.nz...

www.nzherald.co.nz...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Child abuse in NZ is not solely committed by Maori and Islanders but they certainly own a majority of the statistics in child deaths related to severe child abuse and neglect.

This is a major social issue relating to alcohol, illegal substances and lack of education.

edit on 23-8-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

What a load of rubbish.....

The Maori are cousins to the Native American tribes....more specifically, the Aztecs and earlier Native South American tribes.....which is where they originated from in the first place.

The NZ Maori in Australia are hard workers and most of them are in full employment. You'll find them mostly employed in the mines, construction work, public works (roads and rail), sheep shearing, meat works, trades, etc.
edit on 23-8-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Better do some research bluey.
tvnz.co.nz...

Well obviously the American peoples have links to the Asian...they did walk across from the tip Of Russia.

But did you know there were even older races in the Americas before the Asian invasion?
And they have a Very close link to the Australian Aboriginal peoples. Possibly another branch went North (to the Americas), when a group went South (to Oz), as far as they could go.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join