It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell was "it"?? Thought I was dreaming...but I it seamed real!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

Do you recall smelling any odors during the night of this event? Any known strong fragrances or odors in this sleeping room? Was an outside window open that night? Any previous instances when you mysteriously became congested or developed watery eyes after being in this room?

My research into the "Old Hag" phenomena found a correlation to strong odors, allergens, or mold spores in the sleeping room on the night of the event. Of the three, mold spores are the most insidious because the higher humidity at night can trigger a surprise spore release. Other than certain rare, but well known, toxic spores known to induce hallucinations, I can only speculate why odors would these effects on people.

My comments are not intended to debunk the "Old Hag" phenomena with a broad brush. My research also showed that many night time shadow events defy explanation.

Best regards,
Z
edit on 8/21/2011 by DrZrD because: corrected spelling error

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DrZrD

This is a textbook case of sleep paralysis, as several other people said before. It has nothing to do with spores or 'old hag syndromes'.A old hag is, simply, one of the many known symbols that people normally consider 'evil', in a way, much like shadow people, your run-of-the-mill grey alien, and so on.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrZrD
reply to post by summer5

My research into the "Old Hag" phenomena found a correlation to strong odors, allergens, or mold spores in the sleeping room on the night of the event. Of the three, mold spores are the most insidious because the higher humidity at night can trigger a surprise spore release. Other than certain rare, but well known, toxic spores known to induce hallucinations, I can only speculate why odors would these effects on people.

My comments are not intended to debunk the "Old Hag" phenomena with a broad brush. My research also showed that many night time shadow events defy explanation.

Best regards,
Z
edit on 8/21/2011 by DrZrD because: corrected spelling error

I do not recall any strong smells or orders that stood out.

The "Old Hag" was in my first dream, that I awoke from and happen to remember. The shadow that appeared was after I was drifting back off to sleep. I thought I was awakened by sensing something/someone. That is when I noticed the shadow and the rest that I explained regarding the experience.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Fernas

I did read up on sleep paralysis, and must admit, most of what I could find sounded very much like what I experienced.

Is it typical to remember the event as if it really happened? This seemed so much different from a dream.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

Your story brought to mind my favorite painting: "The Nightmare" by Henry Fuseli.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7bc055d34848.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Fernas

I agree, this does appear to be a "text book" case of "Sleep Paralysis (SP) and the OP finds this explanation satisfactory. Regarding my night time odor theory, I was simply presenting another possibility should the OP find the main stream answer only partially satisfactory.

I have personally experienced sleep paralysis (SP) several times as a child but never learned of the neurological explanation until 20 years later. The realism of SP dreams/hallucinations is truly unforgettable; my last SP episode was more than 40 years ago yet I still remember the details as if it only occurred yesterday.

Best regards,
Z

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by summer5

"Sleep Paralysis" appears to provide the best explanation for the event you described. Also, your reply eliminates the likelihood that my odor hypothesis played any role in what you experienced.

I personally can recall many episodes of SP as a child and 40 years later, my recollection is as vivid as a dream I had last night. My SP episodes did not contain any frightening elements. Instead, I recall floating down a perfect neighborhood street lined by perfect Craftsman style family houses on a perfect sunny summer day. But thoughts that something unknown and unexpected would interrupt my perfect day were terrifying (at least to a 9 year old).

Best regards,
Z

top topics

<< 1   >>

join