It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution happens from "random mutations". radiation causes random mutations.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BohemianBrim

The sun being a God probably goes well back before written time.
It was Akhenaten who realy turned this idea into a new religion.
His God was seen as the invisible source of energy of the sun god, of which the visible manifestation was the Aten, the solar disk.
Akhenaten had no idea what radiation was but he new the sun had the power to control life.

Soon after becoming pharaoh of Egypt, Akhenaten discarded his royal name and loyalty to Amon. He turned away from old priests and began the cult of the sun disk -- the Aten. Akhenaten acknowledged that Aten was the single god except Re, the sun god. He claimed he was the only person able to converse with his god. This only caused an absence of priests and he soon came to ban those that remained. He banned the worship of Amon and closed down sacred temples.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
OP, I've had this thought myself, believe it or not. The sun has changed and the sun does give out major radiation. We are hearing of people being 'flash' burned and we don't know the effects of increased radiation at this time. Could it cause mutations and new species? I think it's possible. I don't think your idea is so unusual.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowZion
How can radiation be God!!!!

radiation on this planet (on the levels it is at on this planet) is only created by us humans on this planet. Radiation causes cancer which is the mutation you speak of, the never ending division of cells.
Not some evolutionary feat.

otherwise with the amount of radiation we've got going for us at the moment, we should all be bending time like "Hiro Nakumoura" .

Nice try though.

Seriously?

The sun emits huge quantities of radiation, light is a form of radiation, magnetism can cause mutations. Where were u educated that u think humans are the only origin of radiation.

This thread truly shows the educational level of many of you, the concept of evolution is common sense, if you dont understand it, then leave, don't make stupid comments. Read what its about before commenting. Know what your saying before you say it. Damn, I'm sorry about your thread dude, too many idiots on in the kindle of he night I guess, try reposting at a more active time.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Gamma Ray Bursts mutate/alter life on Earth.

Stars/Black Holes in space have Gamma Ray Bursts, many many light years away and when those Bursts reach Earth they effect the spot on Earth they hit. Hence why languages change...people change....other life changes.

Radiation from nuclear disasters results in Gamma Ray Bursts....but is much harsher...no Radiation Belt and Atmosphere to buffer it's harshness....results in death. Life can't alter itself to survive the harshness.

Radiation is why there are many different versions of English today. If the whole planet spoke the Queen's English...within 500 years different regions would end up with altered English. Same with DNA.

It's not "God"....is bum luck from Radiation exposure.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by BohemianBrim

the thread is really about radiation being "good" for the survival of life

If you had said that in your opening post, a lot of the foregoing unpleasantness might have been avoided.

Obviously radiation is good for the survival of life – as we know it, anyway. The sun gives life to our planet, and sunlight is electromagnetic radiation.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius

Stars/Black Holes in space have Gamma Ray Bursts, many many light years away and when those Bursts reach Earth they effect the spot on Earth they hit. Hence why languages change...people change....other life changes.

Radiation from nuclear disasters results in Gamma Ray Bursts....but is much harsher...no Radiation Belt and Atmosphere to buffer it's harshness....results in death. Life can't alter itself to survive the harshness.

Radiation is why there are many different versions of English today. If the whole planet spoke the Queen's English...within 500 years different regions would end up with altered English. Same with DNA.

This is a fallacy, radiation causes mutations that are passed on, individuals do not change to fit their environment. A radiated human can still mate and create offspring, usually. The radiation causes major widespread changes but is not 100% guaranteed to cause negative mutations. Most mutations are not beneficial. It is essential to understand the time required for evolution to occur.

I'll put it this way, if I am irradiated then I may have negative or positive mutations, I may even show symptoms of radiation poisoning. The mutations not within sex organs can only be passed to other cells in my body but do not alter my primary genetic sequence, so, I stay the same, mostly, might get cancer or irritation and pain. Now, if the mutation is in a sex organ then the mutation can be passed on. If negative then the child may not live, may be infertile, there are many possibilities. If the mutation is beneficial to the environment of residence then this child has tue ability to pass on this benefit. Over time the bad mutations die off leaving he benefits behind.

The best solution to radiation is isolation and high birth rates. This keeps bad mutations from spreading and keeps genetic diversity. As of now, our planet is over connected and blending genetically. This is bad because we blend the one good mutation with 100 bad ones. Decreasing isolation does nothing but weaken the entire species globally. Isolation can prevent global wipeout of a species by isolating certain populations from the negativity.

Basically, its not the population that changes to survive, its the environment allowing the fit to survive. Change is a side effect.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius

Isolation causes language alteration, not radiation.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join