It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ELENIN??? Need help identifying a Comet I found on SOHO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
As I was watching SOHO movie maker I spotted a distant Comet. I would like to know if any ATSers know what it is?

I will give you the time frames so you can make your own movie. I will have to describe where to look for it in the pic.

I suck at using PCs or I would do this for you. SORRY.

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

Start at 20110818 and end at 20110820

The comet appears at 4:00 near the top bright star of the set of three stars at 20110819 at 16:30 in the pic I posted and from the 4:00 position to the 10:00 position.

It is small and distant but clearly visable and stays on course for two days till it goes behind the sun.

I will stay here to help locate it for anyone who asks. Sorry I could not be more help.
edit on 21-8-2011 by Twisted1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Twisted1

Maybe with some help from you all I could learn how to post the video and point the comet out to you.

It is getting late here and I will be logging off soon, but will be back tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I think its Venus, there was a video of Venus maybe taking a big time flare earlier (hard to tell, because although It appears just above the sun, it is actually millions of miles away) the only difference is that it was more centered over the sun, it looks as though venus has continued on its orbit a little...

But I'm no expert, so I very well may be wrong.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
This is ELENIN'S pissed-off big-brother ELIAS.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SpreadLoveNotHate

I know Venus is the big bright thing.

You will need to look at the pic I posted and location I gave to find the (Distant Comet). If I knew how to post vids I would do it for you.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

The link you provided only brings me to one picture, so I apologize, I realize you aren't talking about Venus.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Twisted1
reply to post by SpreadLoveNotHate

I know Venus is the big bright thing.

You will need to look at the pic I posted and location I gave to find the (Distant Comet). If I knew how to post vids I would do it for you.

I couldn't see it but here are the latest comet reports
sungrazer.nrl.navy.mil...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Yup. That could be a comet. But it isn't Elenin.
Elenin is not visible in SOHO imagery and won't be until the last week in September. But it is visible from STEREO B (on the left).
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b980aba1aa0d.gif[/atsimg]

edit on 8/21/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Is there any way to identify the object referenced in the OP? Maybe this guy found a new one?
although it is in the video so im sure NASA knows about but...

+thanks for the embed of elenin

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel

There are hundreds of comets discovered in the images from SOHO each year. If it is a comet the OP found (there are actually two objects) it was a very small one. It does not appear in the images from C2. Apparently it was a sundiver that evaporated long before it got close to the Sun.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

There are hundreds of comets discovered in the images from SOHO each year. If it is a comet the OP found (there are actually two objects) it was a very small one. It does not appear in the images from C2. Apparently it was a sundiver that evaporated long before it got close to the Sun.

Thank you for your response Phage. Apparently you did find what I was talking about. (There are two of them)

The one in the lead seems quite a bit smaller. I have been trying to figure out how to post a video of these but have been unsuccessful.

Any help would be much appreciated!!! (If you have the spare time). THANKS AGAIN

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Photoshop has been able to do it (though hidden a bit after CS2), there are free aps for the PC I'm not privy to, because I don't have to be. I would start with Google.

Phang made an animated gif file (or got one) that can be loaded on your regular ATS picture album, or you can link a Youtube video you uploaded there in your post with the Vid Youtube button and URL after the = mark.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Thanks, I will try the GIF you suggested. I am probably a little older than some here on ATS, so I am somewhat at a technological disadvantage, (PC illiterate) .

But I will try.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It's possibly C/2009 Garrardd, but I'm not sure. It's currently visible in the southern sky a bit up of Altair.
But it may just be a sungrazer.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Would not these two comets exhibit an increasing tail as they approached the sun, if they were on a collision course??? My knowledge of heavenly bodies is quite limited. (unless you count the girl next door)

top topics

join