It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs Can Reliably Sniff Out Lung Cancer, German Study Shows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Researchers at Schillerhoehe Hospital in Germany worked with specially trained dogs who were asked to smell the breath of 220 volunteers. The group included healthy patients, as well as people with lung cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The dogs correctly identified 71 positive lung cancer samples out of a possible 100, the researchers write in the European Respiratory Journal. They also correctly identified 372 non-cancerous samples out of a possible 400.

I have heard of this before, in single or random cases, but it sounds like they have recognized the accuracy and consistency of the canine olfactory system and have committed resources to developing it via training.

What’s interesting about this is that the dogs were able to detect cancer even in the presence of other factors, like tobacco smoke and COPD. Current lab tests for lung cancer can't do this. This suggests that there is indeed a VOC associated directly with lung cancer, which can be detected — at least by a dog — even in the presence of other compounds.
VOCs are emitted from the surface of cells as they undergo tumor-induced gene and protein changes. Identifying the VOCs that certain cells make can go a long way toward early diagnosis, when a scan might not be able to detect anything.
----
But as we’ve seen before, sometimes dogs are simply the best sniffing technology out there. The Defense Department figured this out after spending billions of dollars Source on research. This new study suggests that doctors may be learning the same thing.

www.popsci.com...

Lung cancer is the second most frequent form of cancer in men and women across Europe with over 340,000 deaths per year. It is also the most common cause of death from cancer worldwide.
The disease is not strongly associated with any symptoms and early detection is often by chance. Current methods of detection are unreliable and scientists have been working on using exhaled breath specimens from patients for future screening tests.

www.sciencedaily.com...
I wonder how the process goes, are there charges, and is the fee covered by insurance? Man wouldn't it be nice to just offer free service for detection? These trained dogs enjoy work and exercise, so how many people could be tested a day? I would say at least 3 times the amount in a typical day of diagnosis. Here in the states, one could save money maybe, getting tested this way, as opposed to paying for a diagnosis with testing, labwork, etc..I guess both methods together could increase the results even better.
The advantage of diagnosis is not just beneficial when it is serious, but also in maybe catching the cancer in it's earlier stages, being easier to eradicate or manage.
I bet one could easily train a dog themselves, it would just take time and commitment, but they know what to do, because they are great animals, and already harbor healing qualities for us all.

It is unfortunate that dogs cannot communicate the biochemistry of the scent of cancer!"

Why not leave well enough alone?

Some older vids about this subject

Other Human Ailments

Training

A Charity Group

A charity group says sounds awesome

Peace,
spec
edit on 20-8-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Great find! Our trusty canine pals certainly have more to offer their best friends!

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

Hey i love your pic of Waylon..I was a musician at a restaurant in Pheoenix,az and he was really good friends with the owner and used to come in all the time..A really good man

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
these dogs r awesome

we wonder y that cop got his head blown off 4 pointing his stun gun at that dudes dog the other day

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

Thanks sir_slide, I thought this was very cool too, and man's best friend rings truer than ever.

Peace,
spec

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Bump for sharing sake, I saw this story on Ceaser's website, good stuff

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The dogs nose is truly an amazing thing. I'd heard about specific cases too, but it's nice to know that they can prove it's not a fluke. I want another dog

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Sometimes mother nature's mechanisms are as good as it gets, plus these guys are friendly and adorable!
Yes, get another dog, you may actually deserve each other.
Thanks for the reply

Peace,
spec
edit on 6-9-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Bump cuz I love dogs!

join