It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya Rebels Launch Assault On Tripoli With Heavy NATO Bombing Runs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Yeah,they won't accept a ceasefire-the rebels said Gaddafi had his last chance when he refused to step down as leader after the rebellion began.
Tonight they say will be the regimes last night.
Its going to be ugly-I hope the talk of Gaddafi having a scorched earth policy for Tripoli is untrue.
Time will tell.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
reply to post by EvanB

Yeah,they won't accept a ceasefire-the rebels said Gaddafi had his last chance when he refused to step down as leader after the rebellion began.
Tonight they say will be the regimes last night.
Its going to be ugly-I hope the talk of Gaddafi having a scorched earth policy for Tripoli is untrue.
Time will tell.

I heard he would DF his own position too, which I myself would do if my defensive position is being over-run..

I hope that the advancing troops allow civillians to get out, but realistically, that would require a ceasefire which is not going to happen.

On that though I have read on twitter un-confirmed reports of boats coming into a Tripoli port to evacuate civillians was fired on by Gadhaffi's troops and turned back.

Unconfirmed of course.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

They mentioned a boat having to abort a civilian evac earlier on the news.
Said it was fired on by regime troops I think.

Hard to know whats really happening there at the moment,with all the chaos.
Sky news are better than BBC with their coverage so far IMO-They have at least two reporters with different rebel groups.
Would not want to be them if it gets nasty tonight-they stick out in their blue media outfits with black helmets,and they don't have guns,only cameras.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I should post this link-It has live updates of the situ in Tripoli,and is reporting pre arranged uprisings by rebel "sleeper cells"against the regime in parts of the city.
Regime has lost control of parts of Tripoli it says.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I don't think the Libyan people will thank us for this.
This is one more black spot on the soul of the American people for allowing this to continue.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

It's NATO who has a scorched Earth policy. Typical BS claiming Gaddafi has positioned his scud missile launchers around Tripoli giving the NATO the excuse it needs to slaughter the Libyan people and anyone who stands in their way of regime change.

www.stuff.co.nz...

I bet they also won't allow Gaddafi to be taken alive if the government falls, as we all know dead men don't tell tales.
edit on 21-8-2011 by kindred because: link

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

NATO have certainly caused collateral damage in this conflict so far,without really providing anyone with a plan for after Gaddafi.
I am not really sure why we are there in the first place,or what the real agenda is.
Its another sad state of affairs brought to you by greedy fools in suits yet again IMO.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Two different reasons for attacking Libya. I think the introduction of the Gold Dinar as a new currency sounds more plausible.

rt.com...

Some believe it is about protecting civilians, others say it is about oil, but some are convinced intervention in Libya is all about Gaddafi’s plan to introduce the gold dinar, a single African currency made from gold, a true sharing of the wealth. ­“It’s one of these things that you have to plan almost in secret, because as soon as you say you’re going to change over from the dollar to something else, you’re going to be targeted,” says Ministry of Peace founder Dr James Thring. “There were two conferences on this, in 1986 and 2000, organized by Gaddafi. Everybody was interested, most countries in Africa were keen.”

www.goldbuzzer.com...

Western observers believe that European and Western governments felt that it would be viewed as disingenuous to encourage such revolts, but to be unwilling to provide aid if things went awry… and Britain and France led the march.

Or maybe it's both, we know only too well that democracy in the west is a farce and they would do anything to prevent real democracy taking hold. It's all about control.
edit on 21-8-2011 by kindred because: typo

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

As far as I can tell the only real advance made into Tripoly is more Bombing by NATO which means they must be the rebels. There is reportedly some snipers who have managed to get into the city and pick civilians off one at a time. Are you calling that an advance? When are people going to face the truth that all of this is about Libyan Gold and oil. Being turned over to the Banksters. More Rothchilds, Rockefellers and their cronies afraid someone, somewhere , might not be under their control.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Libya Rebels Launch Assault On Tripoli With Heavy NATO Bombing Runs

That's not good for the rebels, I see tomorrow's headline as: NATO accidentally bombs rebels.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

I wondered about the gold money idea myself...That could have been very lucrative for Africa and we in the "civilised"world can't have a rich Africa can we dear boy?

Sad if that's the cause.
My take is its a combination of jerkoff's in suits wanting revenge for:
1:the old grudges against Gaddafi when he was a "Pariah"
ayback for loss of oil revenue.
3:Lockerbie/Al Megrahi

Who knows the real motives-but we can be sure money and power are high up the list.
I wonder how history will see this?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Guys, are you sure that the rebel could defeat Gaddafi? Maybe but i'm not sure because rebels are not as trainead as Gaddaffi forces are.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Considering the victors always write history, I very much doubt we'll ever know the real truth, because I don't think even Gaddafi can hold out forever against NATO. The whole thing is just disgraceful.

Paulioetc15 - From what I've seen of the rebels, they look comical and disorganised and on their own I very much doubt they could achieve anything, but NATO has the relatively easy task of mopping up the Libyan army and then the rebels simply waltz in claiming victory. I would love to see the people of Tripoli turn against the rebels, but most will probably just flee the area.

edit on 21-8-2011 by kindred because: typo

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Well true, the rebel in March 2011 was disorganized and poorly trained. I seem videos of them shooting their AKs gun up in the air and all that stuff. To me, you don't win with air-power alone. The bombing campaign led by the U.S. and UK against the Taliban was successful in 2001 because we were supporting effective ground forces, not trying to win the war in the air. The bombing campaign led by the U.S. and the UK in the Gulf War was one of the most efficient strategic bombing campaigns in history, but did not dislodge the Iraqi Army from Kuwait until ground forces moved in. It will not be successful in Libya until the rebels get their act together and present a serous threat to Qaddfi on the ground (or a lucky bomb takes him out before hand).

In the Iraqi no-fly-zones, the U.S. and UK warplanes tried to hard to kill Saddam even though their orders are to maintain that they should be no Iraqi aircraft flying over the zones.

It didn't dislodge Saddam until ground forces invaded Iraq in 2003 and toppled Saddam Hussein's regime from power.

In history, Air-power alone doesn't win the war, you need boots on the ground to win as well.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paulioetc15
Guys, are you sure that the rebel could defeat Gaddafi? Maybe but i'm not sure because rebels are not as trainead as Gaddaffi forces are.

The rebels have support from NATO.
the outcome has been predetermined from the start.
Gaddafi is set up to fall.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smack
I don't think the Libyan people will thank us for this.
This is one more black spot on the soul of the American people for allowing this to continue.

Allowing it to continue? Black spot on Americans....

Riiiiggghhhttt.....

We didnt start the uprising there.....

Is it so hard to beleive that people who are tried of opression cant overthrow their government and force change? Also, and I dont know if this is jkust a pride thing for some of you, but ive noticed the inclusion of America in most of the arguments.

Are you guys that embarrased to be getting your ass kicked from ragtag rebels that you say America is behind this?
edit on 21-8-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

That first CBS video just seems odd to me. The way the first set of guys are shooting seem like they just been given guns today, and were told to look cool for the camera. And in the overzealous kneeling (to what, nobody knows, other than the camera man, or maybe a hot western female behind him.) scene, the one guy can't wipe the smirk from his face, as if it's all a joke. They all look like rag tag mercs, the so romanticized rebels. This whole thing stinks and I feel for the Libyan people.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Looks like the rebels have captured one of Gaddafi's sons in Tripoli.

www.chicagotribune.com...

Tripoli, Libya (CNN) -- Saif al-Islam Gadhafi, a son of Libya's ruler Moammar Gadhafi and a top official in the regime, has been captured by opposition forces, a rebel official said Sunday night.

Ali Said, general secretary of the Benghazi-based Transitional National Council, said that the arrest had taken place in Tripoli. The head of the same rebel group also confirmed the capture in an Al Jazeera interview. There was no immediate reaction from Libyan government officials to the report.

ETA - It looks like 2 of his sons have now been captured

www.cnn.com...

These celebrations were in response to rebel inroads into the capital and news that two of Moammar Gadhafi's sons -- Saif al-Islam and Saadi -- have been arrested by opposition forces. Jumma Ibrahim, a rebel spokesman based in Libya's western mountain region, said both were captured in Tripoli.

edit on 21-8-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Sky news is now reporting that the rebels have captured Green Square.

news.sky.com...

Libyan rebels have taken control of the capital Tripoli's Green Square, as opposition forces said Colonel Gaddafi's rule of 42 years had been ended.

Small pockets of resistance are still being encountered by rebels around Colonel Gaddafi's compound in Tripoli, according to Libyan rebel chief Mustafa Abdel Jalil.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dl2one

I feel the same the way, from the start and now something isnt right about this whole thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join