It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intense lightning but no thunder.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I just got back home today from a 3 day hitch on an oil rig in the louisiana swamps and experience somthing I've never seen or heard before. I got on the rig thursday evening and off in the distance I could see a storm brewing. Before long it started to lightning a pretty good ways away. The lightning was really intense. There wasn't a single second that the sky wasnt lit up from lightning for about a hour an a half. I was having a cig ontop of the platform watching the amazing light show and it hit me. I havnt heard a single roll of thunder. There were many many cloud to ground stikes as well as many many cloud to cloud strikes. Lightning was EVEYWHERE. I watched for as long as I could waiting to hear atleast one roll of thunder and nothing. I went inside as the storm got closer and still didnt hear a peep until the storm was right on top of us. Then finnaly I heard a few thunder rolls. I brought the lack of thunder to the attention of one of the other guys on the rig that was also watching the light show and he said" You know what?, Thats F**king werid!!"

Im not a weather buff so this may be commen but Im pretty sure the only time I've ever seen lightning without thunder was when the strike was extremely far away and the strike was relativly weak. These stikes were not far away(less than 10 miles) and they were very strong strikes. I tried to take video with my EVO 3D but the rig lights screwed with the contrast. So the video was blank for the most apart other than the most intense stikes, which were barly seen in the video.

So just wonderin what you guys and gals think.

~Thanks~
edit on 20-8-2011 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

The lightning also could have been quite high in the sky. If it is too high then it is the equivalent of being very far away.

Thunder always creeps me out...the fact that air is exploding scares me a bit.

Pred...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Hey there, a few years back while I was staying in Georgia for some years, I witnessed many Heat Lightning storms, the lightning never struck the ground, but was confined to the sky... And was silent. Sometimes it was pretty intense, but just figured that because the bolts never hit the ground, no thunder accompanied it. I did enjoy watching them though.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

like I was saying guys. The lightning fingered all across the sky overhead silently but it also stuck the ground. I dont feel that I would be exagerating if I said there were over 1000 ground stikes that I personally saw within 1 1/2 hours. It was very werid. From my vantage point I cud see where the lighting was hitting in the distance and yet there was no thunder.

Again~ there were BOTH cloud strikes as well as ground strikes. ALOT! and intense

new topics

top topics

join