It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000 Year Clock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I found this and thought it was wild. A project that will out last us, our nations, civilizations, and possible our race. Some people will think it frivolous and useless, but its wonderful to see what we can accomplish if we want to. Something for those who come after us.

There is a Clock ringing deep inside a mountain. It is a huge Clock, hundreds of feet tall, designed to tick for 10,000 years. Every once in a while the bells of this buried Clock plays a melody. Each time the chimes ring, it’s a melody the Clock has never played before. The Clock’s chimes have been programmed to not repeat themselves for 10,000 years. Most times the Clock rings when a visitor has wound it, but the Clock hoards energy from a different source and occasionally it will ring itself when no one is around to hear it. It’s anyone’s guess how many beautiful songs will never be heard over the Clock’s 10 millennial lifespan.

The Clock is real. It is now being built inside a mountain in western Texas. This Clock is the first of many millennial Clocks the designers hope will be built around the world and throughout time.

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos aims to change that with his 10,000 Year Clock, saying, "In the year
4000, you'll go see this clock and you'll wonder, 'Why on Earth did they build this?'"

Source Article

10,000 Year Clock

Clock Scale Model

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/daf40227a7af.jpg[/atsimg]

Clock Power Module

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/faa80eb8f8b4.png[/atsimg]

Clock Chimes

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b948d4fb1f8f.png[/atsimg]

Like I said, wild and cool. Just wanted to share this.

I wonder, when the clock chimes, "if there is no one around to hear it does it make a sound?"

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Great... 9950 years from now someone will find the stupid clock and think the world is going to come to an end, or some dwarf star is coming...

Very cool though.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Outlast us? Ha, no.

We'll be here (and many many other places), and near Godhood by then.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

I had the feeling that they meant it would long out last the average human life span.

Either way, I think this is so cool. It's in Texas to. I will have to go check it out one day.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by barkingdogamato

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos aims to change that with his 10,000 Year Clock, saying, "In the year
4000, you'll go see this clock and you'll wonder, 'Why on Earth did they build this?'"

I like this quote.... Kind of suggests he is building it just so people can wonder about it....Makes me think about the past..... how many civilizations have built things.... just so people can wonder about them one day.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Great... 9950 years from now someone will find the stupid clock and think the world is going to come to an end, or some dwarf star is coming...

Very cool though.

I almost fell off my chair laughing, that was a good one, still laughing!

hahahaha!!

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yep, Mayan calendar 2.0

Thanks

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

That was one of the things I love about this project. To make people think and wonder.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
If no one is aound then it will not make a sound......sound is pressure waves hitting the eardrum, the brain turns it into sound so if no ear is there no sound will be made only pressure waves

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
wow lovely project, thank you op. Over my way they have installed a tidal bell on a remote island. As the tide rises the bell chimes. It makes beautiful sound...

new topics

top topics

join