It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is why we need a seperation of church and state

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
While I may be considered a fundamentalist in some circles, I see nothing wrong with the books mentioned. While there may be some allusion to witchcraft in the Potter series, I see nothing wrong with them. I mean, after all we let our kids watch shows like 'Yu-ghi-oh' and all those anime shows, and I personally find more new age references and such in those than in the Harry Potter series and such.

I say let them read whatever they want! Who are we to dictate what our kids are to become? We are charged with guiding them and counseling them, not running amok over their individuality.

My son reads whatever he wants. if he has questions or wants my opinion, I'll give it (including how I feel about morality and religion), but I always encourage him to make up his own mind.

I don't fault any leader/s for having a moral code. Everyone, whether they admit it or not, has their own version of morality or 'moral code'. Just because one person's code doesn't agree with another's doesn't make it wrong or make that person unfit to lead a nation or people. Any leader elected/selected will have a moral code they have based their life and achievements on. An absence of any sort of moral code is impossible. It is developed throughout our lives, maybe called something else, but everyone has a set of principals they live by.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Wow, Hell, following the rules they have I have to burn my entire place down. I have Harry Potter, I know am old for it, shut up.
Wonder what they think of Tom Clancy, or Stephen Hawking, even Patricia Cornwell.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I am still waiting to here from those that believe we NEED this type of protection.

Come on I know yall are out there I have seen your posts.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Hmm.. finding book burning fundamentalists actively chatting in a forum of this particulary nature.

It would be about the same odds of finding fundamentalist hacktivism on websites that support or supplement the previously mentioned books.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Amuk,

You really think that somebody is going to talk about burning Winny the pooh, well I tell you this group that is burning books will not touch ATS with a ten foot pole.

Heck I don't thing they even go on the interner or own a computer been so full of evil things.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Amuk,

You really think that somebody is going to talk about burning Winny the pooh, well I tell you this group that is burning books will not touch ATS with a ten foot pole.

Heck I don't thing they even go on the interner or own a computer been so full of evil things.

Just wait Marg, you'll be seeing a thread "Mickey Mouse, pawn of the Devil?"

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I remember back in the 80s that it was a controversy about the Care Bears being evil or something like that something about their stomach.

I wish I could find something on it but it was related to a particular religious group did not wanted the movie to be shown.

My son was a baby at the time and he his favorite stuff animal was a care bear, I still have it.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I remember when I was a kid my parents wouldn't let me watch the 'Smurfs' (something about being taken from mythological demonic entities or some nonsense) We were also not allowed to watch movies that glorified the paranormal. Ugh

I didn't see the Excorcist until I was thirteen and snuck out of the house to a friend's to watch it.

And *shock and horror* I didn't see the Rocky Horror Picture Show until I moved out and got married. That was thought of as just pure, unadulterated hedonism in my house as a kid and the mere mention fo wanting to view it could cause permanent scarring.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Amuk,

I have heard posts that are on the same level

People claiming the earth is only 6000 years old, the universe revolves around the earth, the tele-tubbies are a Gay plot,etc.

The people burning those books claim the same things.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

People claiming the earth is only 6000 years old, the universe revolves around the earth, the tele-tubbies are a Gay plot,etc.

Oh well you win Amuk, we do have some of those around somewhere.........not many you know just a few.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Amuk, you live in Arkansas right? What do you expect? Sorry, I just couldn't help it.
I lived in Arkansas for 4 years, and I tell you. It ain't exactly the most enlightened place.

But seriously, I sometimes wonder why the south plays such an important role in our politics.

[edit on 8/20/2004 by Flinx]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   

This is in my local paper

We would like to invite you to a Bon-Fire in which all of the Harry Potter books, Winny the Pooh, Alice in Wonderland, Snow White, Cinderella, The Wizard of Oz, Hansel and Gretel, Macbeth, The Tempest, Midsummers Nights Dream and other wicked Literature will be converted into smpke where it can no longer damage our childrens minds unless of course they inhale.

THIS is why we need the seperation of church and state

[edit on 19-8-2004 by Amuk]

So, when does the human bonfire start?

I mean, surely people on television and bad parenting will exert much more influence that what's written in some book.

[edit on 20-8-2004 by coronamoz]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Its things like this book Burning that make me wish i wasnt human!, I Just cant believe how Ignorant People really are!

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Why not advertise a good ole Bible burning. See if that gets their attention.

link   

Originally posted by PanzerDiv
Its things like this book Burning that make me wish i wasnt human!, I Just cant believe how Ignorant People really are!

Don't worry book burning has been going around for quite some time when people disagree with what's been printed is just a statement.

link   
Dare I say, Fahrenheit 451? Take this and that many students in school aren't reading any more and you have a very deadly combination to knowledge, truth, individuality, etc. etc.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Hey it's a free country. Burn whatever you want. lol.

What's the name of this newspaper? It would make an interesting story. To see who posted the article and why some of those books made the list.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
*Double Post*

[edit on 21-8-2004 by zerotime]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
Hey it's a free country. Burn whatever you want. lol.

What's the name of this newspaper? It would make an interesting story. To see who posted the article and why some of those books made the list.

I dont think my neighboors would like me poking fun at them with a bunch of yankees

So I am gonna have to decline on giving out any names

Before you judge these people too harshly I should add that I know most of their church and most are harmless. One of their ladies brings me homemade apple pie to work and during the civil rights era they were on the forefront fighting for equal rights for blacks, hell I even went to school with their pastor. Thry choose most of the books because they had witchcraft in them but I must winnie the pooh had me puzzled

My point was just that religion MUST be kept out of politics

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join