It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is why we need a seperation of church and state

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This is in my local paper

We would like to invite you to a Bon-Fire in which all of the Harry Potter books, Winny the Pooh, Alice in Wonderland, Snow White, Cinderella, The Wizard of Oz, Hansel and Gretel, Macbeth, The Tempest, Midsummers Nights Dream and other wicked Literature will be converted into smpke where it can no longer damage our childrens minds unless of course they inhale.

THIS is why we need the seperation of church and state

[edit on 19-8-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Well, we already have it, it just needs to be enforced a little better.

I really don't care if a particular community wants to burn books, it usually happens in some backwater, ignorant area that has the time to worry about such things. I feel sorry for their brainwashed children, because only a small few of them will be strong enough to break away from the ignorance they are being raised in. I know this from experience. I grew up in the South with some of the most ignorant people I have ever encountered in my life, and ran screaming from them as soon as I was able.

This doesn't seem to occur in larger cities located in the Midwest and the South, but the smaller towns are definitely big on destroying media and blaming it all for the corruption of young minds.

Let them be this way if they want, it doesn't affect me and won't keep Harry Potter books from being bought by the millions who already do so. This sort of thing has been happening for years, we just hear about it more. We can deny ignorance, but it will never be vanquished completely.

[edit on 19-8-2004 by Weller]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
And then after the burning the kids will go to their pals' houses and play final fantasy on playstation 2...

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Stories like that scare the living Bejeesus out of me. It's a form of mind control that's no different from the Muslim madrassas that are presentlly producing UBL V3.1

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Isnt that what Hitler did in Germany, burn books also.?

This people need to get real, this how some groups like to keep their young stupid and ignorant so it can be better manipulated

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

We would like to invite you to a Bon-Fire in which all of the Harry Potter books, Winny the Pooh, Alice in Wonderland, Snow White, Cinderella, The Wizard of Oz, Hansel and Gretel, Macbeth, The Tempest, Midsummers Nights Dream and other wicked Literature will be converted into smpke where it can no longer damage our childrens minds unless of course they inhale.

You can't be serious?!?! Holy crap! I thought we had moved out of the puritanical ages but I guess I was misled

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Weller
I know this from experience. I grew up in the South with some of the most ignorant people I have ever encountered in my life, and ran screaming from them as soon as I was able.
[edit on 19-8-2004 by Weller]

I was born and raised in the South and all of us arent ignorant, as a matter of fact some of the best people I have ever met are Southern so I kinda resent that remark, this is not just a Southern Problem although we are as a rule a bit more religious.

Religion is not the problem and to be honest them burning the books are not a real problem, because most of us in this backwoods redneck town just shurg our shoulders and snicker at the antics of these type of people.

Where the problem IS, is when they try to make it a LAW these books have to be Burned.

I have just posted this as a reminder WHY we have seperation of church and state.

Think about this next time they try to tell you we need more religion in the PUBLIC domain

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Winnny the Pooh what did that ever do to people? If parents don't want there kids reading those books then the parents just don't let there kids read them. They don't need to put an advertisement in the paper to burn them. Harry Potter is just a fictional story. Oooo They talk about a fictional schoool that teaches magic. That will scar a child for life.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I'm from North Carolina and there are some stupid people here. But I've been to New York several times and there are some stupid people there too. Every region has stupid people, the reason for the stupidity just varies from region to region and people tend to express it in different ways too.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I for one don't feel that either the South or the North have the monopoly on stupid people. There are bright, intelligent people everywhere. However... I have to say (and I'm sorry to say so) that the only states my girlfriend adamantly refuses we move to are Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana and South Carolina... For the traditions of rabid conservatism that are still present in those states.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
I for one don't feel that either the South or the North have the monopoly on stupid people. There are bright, intelligent people everywhere. However... I have to say (and I'm sorry to say so) that the only states my girlfriend adamantly refuses we move to are Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana and South Carolina... For the traditions of rabid conservatism that are still present in those states.

You aren't singling anyone out, then you single the South out. You don't happen to work in parliment, do you?

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
How about you post the paper it was in so we can write letters and protest?

Winnie the Pooh,,,,,INDEED!!

Next they'll tell us the Easter Bunny isn't real (so explain those colored eggs, you ZEALOTS!)

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   

We would like to invite you to a Bon-Fire in which all of the Harry Potter books, Winny the Pooh, Alice in Wonderland, Snow White, Cinderella, The Wizard of Oz, Hansel and Gretel, Macbeth, The Tempest, Midsummers Nights Dream

Christ on a cracker (Im not sure what that means but Gramsp used to say it) how did they miss Huckleberry Finn???? What part of Arkansas are you from? Yes this is a good point for the separation of the two!

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
This was not a Community thing or was it sponsered by the paper it is held a couple times a year by a church group here. Like I said most of us just snicker and go back to our lives, VERY few take this seriously.

What surprises me is that I have not heard from any of our more fanatic posters, you know who you are, supporting this kinda thing. Isnt this the kind of "one nation under God" they are looking for?

And about winnie the pooh, I think some thought tigger was a flamer

J/K I dont have a clue what kind of problem they have with him

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I don't think any fundamentalist of religion (Bush) should be leader of a country like America. I mean how can he have a balanced view over the 'free' peoples of the United States if he has a fundamentalist beliefs and moral code? Don't you think this is slightly wrong?

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Yep, it's not just the South because fundamentalists and narrow-minded people are everywhere. The South-Bashing gets kind of old. I live in Virginia and there's a pretty good mix of smart and dumb. I used to work in a national incoming call center, and there were just as many idiots north and west as there were south.

This is a very good example of why church and state must be kept apart. Put them together and you get the Taliban. It doesn't bother me if a school takes certain books out of their library because the kids can go to the public library to get them. Or if parents censor their children's exposure to certain ideas and influences. But to burn a book or tape completely out of existence is hardcore. It's putting an image in the kids' heads which won't be easily overcome. I can't imagine being so afraid of a book. These people are worrisome.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Isnt that what Hitler did in Germany, burn books also.?

This people need to get real, this how some groups like to keep their young stupid and ignorant so it can be better manipulated

Yep it starts off with book burning and ends with 'crystalnacht'.

Very disturbing.

And Winnie the Pooh...what the fu...

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If your beliefs are so threatened by ink and a few slivers of wood that you have to destroy them then perhaps it is your beliefs that you should question instead.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Winnie the Pooh is based on philosophy and Taoism, so maybe it's the philosophy they don't like. There are a lot of books about it, so I suppose they'll have to burn them too!

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The funny thing about this is that they are destroying the books...or are they? First they have to purchase the books (supporting the production of it through money and since they sell, more are printed and ordered), then they destroy them creating publicity for the book. Morons!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join