It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't we all just get along?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Back when I was in college, the whole semester (don't ask...) my friend Jessica and I got to talking about religion one day while eating lunch at a local restaurant. While we had a mature conversation and didn't resort to bickering, fighting or blowing each other up, lol, we had an idea that just seemed to fit.

Okay, so we all know the battle between creationism and evolution....right? Well, we had a thought that we said out loud at almost the exact same time, "Why can't they both be true?" I know that might upset some and I understand that, but just finish reading this first.

Let me start out by saying I believe in God. I don't follow any organized version of Christianity because I feel they (the Church) have prostituted it's meaning and twisted it into their idea of what it should be. However, I'm also a man of reason, when I see compelling evidence of something, I don't blindly ignore it and say it doesn't exist. I look at all the evidence and compare and say "Hmm...is there any place these two could match up?" And I can kind of be a lazy person, so I don't try to force anything to match because, as I jokingly call it, it's "too much work."

Okay so, let's start the theory here: Evolution states that man evolved over billions of years from apes to what we are today. And there's clearly considerable evidence to support this. The extremely close similarity of human DNA to ape DNA. The similarities in social structure and the way apes raise their young compared to humans. Do I really need to go on? I mean, I can if you'd like.

Then there's the Bible. Just look at all the events in it that have been proven to have taken place. For example the great flood of Noah. Science has proven that a large flood took place when, I believe, the Mediterranean Sea burst over a barrier and that resulted in the Dead Sea. Evidenced by the fact that there are homes submerged by the water near the old lake shore. And while NOT proven, there's evidence that the Garden of Eden was in the Persian Gulf. (Link provided for more info.) And one last example. The evidence of spirits which would mean there was something after death, or an afterlife, which odds are we wouldn't have if evolution was in the ballgame by itself.

And one part of the Bible states that man has (Numbers 12:6-8) seen the form of God, Admittedly, John 5:37, states man hasn't seen the form of God. However, if you read the Bible or do your research into it you see how many people it says God has appeared too: Moses, Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel, Abraham.

So, with all that being said here's what he hypothesized. God DID create us in his image, however his image is that of an ape and we (man) have since evolved into the human beings we are today. So with this argument it's up for you to judge if you think this would explain the "missing link." Jessica and I said "Hey, this could just solve the missing link 'problem'." You decide for yourself.

All I ask is that you please keep comments polite. Talk, share your thoughts and share with friends, family and people you know to just see what they might think. All (polite) comments are more than welcome. Please know that I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, just to say this COULD be an explanation.

-----
More about man seeing God.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
hi op
god could be an alien
and came to this blue planet
and decided to improve things
he seen the ape and genetically modified the beast
and improve upon its structure
much like we have been doing over the years
eg
taming of wild animals to become household pets
we were genetically breeded for slavery
just a thought though
like your thread
regards
dave

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
When it comes to God, Aliens and evolution, anything is possible. When talking about such things, It helps to keep an open mind and think outside the box. I don't believe in an interventionist God, so I'm more inclined to agree with davesmart, that God is actually an Alien or Aliens. It just makes more sense. After all why would a God who claims to be perfection, create such an imperfect being and then claim we were created in his image. Based on my own research, most of what is written in the Bible is lies anyway, perpetuated by the Roman Catholic church and the truth has either been erased, edited out or twisted out of context by biblical scholars to suit their own beliefs or agendas. There's evidence in ancient Hebrew texts that God actually had a wife called Asherah, who was considered superior. Therefore monotheism is bunk, as it's obvious there were many Gods, not just one. The creation myths in the Bible derive from older texts, such as the Sumerian and Akkadian texts, which again speaks of man being in the presence of by many Gods, not just one.

www.ancientscripts.com...
thequeenofheaven.wordpress.com...
www.klinopis.cz...

Lost, Forgotten Books and Ancient Sacred Texts
reluctant-messenger.com...
edit on 20-8-2011 by kindred because: links

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
No man can see the face of the Lord and live. Even when Enoch got to see the Lords face, it had to be frozen.

The Lord's face is ineffable, marvellous and very awful, and very, very terrible.

Because I could not endure the terror of the Lord, just as it is not possible to endure a stove's fire and the sun's heat, and the frost of the air. And the Lord said to me: 'Enoch, if thy face be not frozen here, no man will be able to behold thy face.

Every time Father spoke to man, he spoke to them through an angel or an object, never face to face. Only person who got to see was Enoch.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Good and valid points. But remember when God said he created us in his image that was before Eve went and loused it up for everybody else by eating from the Tree of Knowledge.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I'm sure that the Creationist (Zappers) and the Evolutionist (Oozers) camps would both reject the OP's idea. Each side thinks the other is wrong, categorically wrong. I have seen Theistic Evolution slammed rather hard.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

And ya know what? Both sides slammed it, but you watch, it'll be the right one. And when we all die, I'll be the one laughing my a## off. lol

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by CrashUnderride

A majority of mankind is somewhat querulous, mentally lazy, slightly greedy and with a tendency to adapt to 'herd-instincts'.

I'm not a cynic on those points, I believe, we can survive these 'dysfunctions' given time and a minimum of interference from power-mad sociopaths manipulating us through the use of extremist ideologies. Most people just want to get on with their unreflected lives and only become enflamed, when there's something REAL to be enflamed about (say shortage of food etc) or when there are enflamers around orchestrating 'crises'.

On the other hand I'm not a naive optimist, believing that some intrinsic 'goodness' in mankind automatically will lead to tolerance, justice, universal love or similar dreams from the sixties.

We need to use rational approaches and what euphemistically is called 'common sense' and make 'social deals', which eventually can turn out to be functional. Some of such 'deals' have already proved their worth after only a short historical period.

So with your recommendable wish for goodwill in mankind, I would suggest that you look around at what context of mankind you observe,......and (possibly like me) can see a new polarization of good guys and bad guys. Who can accept these new 'social deals' with the balance of personal freedom (to believe in whatever version of faith) and social obligations (not to intefere with others), and who feel 'above' such.

edit on 21-8-2011 by bogomil because: typo

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Believe-you-me, I'm not the kinda guy that says "everyone has the ability to be good." That's a crock. Most people in the world are lying, backstabbing, manipulating, pieces of feces. Or so I've seen.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrashUnderride
reply to post by bogomil

Believe-you-me, I'm not the kinda guy that says "everyone has the ability to be good." That's a crock. Most people in the world are lying, backstabbing, manipulating, pieces of feces. Or so I've seen.

It's my distinct impression, that polarization is considerably more marked in US culture than in many other (at least nominal) western democracies. Hence with more prominent confrontations.

Having the good karma (or whatever) of living in one of the older european democracies, my perspective is probably less influenced by such confrontations (we do have them to some extent though), and I'm consequently more optimistic than you.

But not only optimistic from an observation of a de facto scenario; I can also see the manifested value of the principles (from my post above), as these principles gain common acceptance.

(I was the in-the-bargain-father of Eric Cartman's identical-twin for more than ten years. Save me from complete permissiveness, there must be limits somewhere ALSO).

But generally my initial post to you was on the creative/constructive side, I suggested 'answers'.
edit on 21-8-2011 by bogomil because: addition

new topics

top topics

join