It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three People Arrested for Selling Lemonade in Washington D.C.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
We need to do a webinar on critical thinking one day on ATS.

You people are upset because some folks couldnt be bothered to get the proper inspections and certificates to vend on public grounds?

Yea, because I want some dude with no credentials and no inspections, making me lemonade.

Now, here is really why it is an issue. The FBI will be the first to tell you, the number one threat they consider to the US, is not
planes
trains
or nuclear weapons.

The most efficient and quick way to harm and terrorize a lot of people would be biological terrorism of the food supply, and tracing that would be next to impossible.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by EagleTalonZ

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
lol, I said in the jefferson threads kokesh was a whore. if he really was interested in helping people he would volunteer (anonymously) at a food bank

he picks low hanging fruit and tries to get arrested

wouldn't surprise me if you can find his website, complete with banner ads for jefferson cd's and lemonade

I can see your point but unfortunately he wouldn't raise much awareness to the injustices taking place in our country if he did that. He is using his social status to wake people up. Being arrested is something that takes place on a regular basis. That is because his cause is about standing up to laws that are simply ridiculous. No dancing at the Jefferson memorial? No selling lemonade (without a permit)?? Absolutely stupid laws!

I couldn't watch the video in the other thread but they knew they were going to get arrested in this case.

I dont agree with you that laws\regulations selling food or drinks are stupid. As a matter of fact most people wouldn't buy stuff off the side of a road that isn't regulated some how.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Everyone who participated in today's event had the knowledge they MAY be arrested.

...imo, they not only wanted to be arrested, they fully expected to be arrested...

Their purpose is to wake people up that our freedoms are being so harshly violated.

...imo, they picked a stupid way of communicating their concerns to the public... they could have simply purchased a vendor's license and sold their lemonaid in conjuction with passing out info flyers and talking to people... no one wouldve been arrested or harassed and some customers might even have been informed by the flyers - BUT - that way wouldnt have received much (if any) media attention that could be prostituted to the max...

Kids have been running lemonade stands for a very long time. I did when I was young.

...so, you believe we should always do things the same way they've always been done?... wheres the cut-off line on that?... when it affects your use of modern technology?... uh-huh...

I've bought for other children who were doing it and nothing ever happened to me.

...i've known many people who dive and/or surf who have never been attacked by a shark but that doesnt mean no diver or surfer has ever been attacked by a shark...

It's ridiculous to be arrested for selling lemonade. Dumb laws like that (which I haven't actually even seen) need to be repealed.

...but they werent arrested for selling lemonaid... they were arrested for selling an ingestible to the public without a vendor's permit... and, i wonder, did they have a permit to protest in the area they chose or was that even required?...

...imo, if a cause is worth protesting for, it should be worth telling the truth about, rather than distorting facts because sensationalism sells better...

...i dont believe vendor ordinances are dumb... i totally approve of health department standards that attempt to regulate cleanliness in establishments that serve ingestibles to the public...

...you could argue that the ordinances are over-priced and, so, unfair - but - even so, i just cant see this particular issue as an infringement on our freedoms...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Sir step over here
I need to see your post permit
Yes I understand that you were allowed to post in the past
but now you need, a post permit.
Please turn around put your hands behind your back.

somewhere I heard
first they take your lemonade stands
then they take your children
etc

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
PERMITS in this country have become ridiculous.
For one thing, they are hard to afford for the poor.
So how do you get out of being UNPOOR if you can't find a job and you can't sell anything?
You can get in trouble for having a yard sale these days without a permit.

There was a time when my mother had serious health issues and was out of work. This man let folks use his old service station lot to sell 'junk.' If she felt well, we went and sold junk - mostly used housewares to other poor folks. It helped her keep her car, which was bought before her hip got broken. (That was before artificial hips.)
I helped during the summer and it gave me an allowance of sorts.

There was one other lady that did the same. She had health problems too.
It was hot work. It wasn't physically hard but it wasn't FUN, it was work.

One day the cops came and said they had to have permits. We went downtown to pay the man, and it took about a month's profit from us. It wasn't like it was a lot, but it was a lot to us.

If you didn't have one though, they'd fine you a WHOLE LOT.

It's really like a mafia - you gotta pay to be protected from the man.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
PERMITS in this country have become ridiculous.
For one thing, they are hard to afford for the poor.
So how do you get out of being UNPOOR if you can't find a job and you can't sell anything?
You can get in trouble for having a yard sale these days without a permit.

Where do you need a permit for a yard sale?

You don't need a permit for eBay.

I am going to go out on a limb here but i doubt many people selling lemonade are poor.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Some of you are missing the point here -

The government requires a license to drive, a license to contract, a license to marry, to fish, to sell lemonade (we're talking about CHILDREN for the most part), etc. Let me rephrase:

The government requires a license to travel, to work, to love, to eat, and just because they freakin' can! They're out of control and they tax you on everything! Before you get your check, then at the grocery store, at the gas station, on cigarettes, phone service and other utilities.

Yes, I will say I disagree adamantly with the "authorities" on this issue. The people who were arrested were not selling the lemonade for their own purpose. They were doing it to bring awareness to what is happening. Yes, they most likely knew they would be arrested but not everyone (out of the 5,000+ who "attended" were arrested) knew for sure, or wanted to be. Any time you are involved in an act of civil disobedience, there is of course a risk.

But again, it wasn't about the people who were arrested, it was about the state of this country. We're so paranoid about everything. With the introduction of the DHS and this war OF terror, it's all out of hand. You mistrust the adorable 7 year old girl with pigtails and the misspelled sign? C'mon!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Just thought I'd share a video from Adam Kokesh's channel on youtube. (this is the event where the three were arrested)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Soon you will need a permit to go take a poop.

Only in america, only in america. (no, not really. We also had a 10yo girls lemonade stand closed down in my country, she was not arrested though. An it made the national news for days.)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by varikonniemi

Are you telling me you have been taking illegal dumps?! Homeland Security has been notified...

Yeah, I think I posted it earlier in this thread but they make you get a permit for everything! Marriage, work, hunting, traveling, garage sells, protests (which is VERY ironic!) It is insane. America is definitely not what it use to be. When people sing the National Anthem, I cry but not from having pride. It's cuz the words are empty and most citizens don't even realize what a lie it is.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I like how when the cop shoved the camera they switched to the other camera and watched as she threatened and advanced upon the lemonade bandits.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
As someone who formerly helped do food inspections, trust me, you want the inspections and permits, these places are nasty enough without them.

you dont want a permit to marry? then you need to make divorce illegal. Cuz you got it,people get divorced it goes to teh government court to seperate assests and children. So do you want to make divorce illegal?

You don't want a license to drive? Then get the money to build your own roads, but wait, they are billions of dollars. You don't need a license to take the bus.But I bet you expect that public ambulance and police to show up if there is an accident.

People don't know half the reasons these permits are in place.

In my state, you have to permit your well. Big time. Or the state can cap it. Why? It is actually to protect homeowners from shifty and reckless well drilling, that can cause homeowners nightmares or contaminate their water. There is nothing more worthless then a house sitting on a property with no water. And I have seen wells only six months old collapse.

Why the permitting for picketing in DC? If you have never had the privelage to work or live in DC, then you would never understand. The city only has 600k residents. But triple that in private and public sector employees and millions of visitors a year, you have a traffic nightmare.
Five years ago DC held all top five traffic congestion spots in the states. Former residents probably still have nightmares about the VA 95 mixing bowl. Not to mention the public transportation. They make people permit because one rally can cause thousands of workers to be late. And it has happened and because of the congestion from an unscheduled rally, it took people over 2 hours to get to work.
They make these lists so they can distribute them to employees so they can make other arrangements to get to work.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
My strategy is to not get involved in ownership. I think capitalism is generally a scam, but it's the only game in town. I'd much rather work for The Man than be The Man. The Man is at war with himself. I just need the tokens The Man dispenses to buy food and other necessities.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This demonstration wasn't about Lemonade, or permits, or free commerce. It was about the
Intrusion of authority into the lives of tax paying citizens. And also to demonstrate the heavy handed
methods of LEOs. This video has already gone viral and should be an embarrassment to the authorities but they don't care; The authorities know that we have crossed the line into tyranny and the 1984 mind set.

It's a brave new world; welcome to the monkey house.....sit down and stfu!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The actions of our government are CRIMINAL.

Government is the corporate gun.

Get that through your heads people.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

You are right about the wanting to get arrested part - good on them. Regarding policing so you don't drink a little kids booger, have you eaten in a restaurant in the last ten years? If you answered yes, you have eaten boogers and much worse. To arrest people for selling lemonade is absurd.

CJ

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
The actions of our government are CRIMINAL.

Government is the corporate gun.

Get that through your heads people.

I think most of us know that. If they're like me, they just spread the word so we can quietly separate from the system. We have to use it to lose it. We also have to watch out for those who worship the elite and those relatives who are "just following orders" for the paycheck. They're using the system too. Has anyone got a better idea other than violence? That will only result in injury and death all around. It will also get you locked up. Just selling lemonade will get you locked up. So, use The Man and lose The Man.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I didn't read any posts in this thread. I watched the video in the closed thread, 15 seconds of it. That was all I needed to see. They were selling lemonade on private property. The cop told them they were on private property, he was doing his job. We all have a job, his happens to be to enforce the law. Cops don't write the laws they enforce them. Stop the cop bashing. Are their not good people and bad people? Why wouldn't that apply to officers of the law? He was doing his job.
edit on 22-8-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Just cause it's your job doesn't mean you have to perform your instructions down to the letter.
With your mentality we wouldn't be able to prosecute war criminals simply cause it was their job....

I agree that people might be more considerate and weigh their anti-cop attitude against the actual facts

Let me state that most of these cops seemed fairly relaxed but that blond woman.... she should be arrested. Power hungry b*tch if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

You are right about the wanting to get arrested part - good on them. Regarding policing so you don't drink a little kids booger, have you eaten in a restaurant in the last ten years? If you answered yes, you have eaten boogers and much worse. To arrest people for selling lemonade is absurd.

...i'm very picky about where i eat and what i drink... had to nearly die of filth-induced botulism twice before i smartened up, which is also why i approve of enforcing health codes via permits for selling ingestibles...

...another reason i approve of enforcing permits has already been stated but i'll do it again... the cheapest effective way to poison a bunch of people is to distribute a free ingestible... of course, permits wont stop a psychopath but it might help track them down after they've killed a bunch of trusting souls...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join