It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the impact of the internet on our progress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
finally i can make a thread!!

so i was just thinking about how since ive found this website, my thoughts on life and consciousness(thats its subjective and we share this oneness.....all the stuff ive seen posted and talked about here as well) have been more stable, yes ive had these thoughts before and got to them through my own path of study(brain and philosophy) but the fact that ive met other people with the same thoughts has solidified it in my mind, so its not just a fleeting theory, or its not something that makes me feel like im weird or crazy anymore.....the internet and forums like this are significant in creating/ maintaining these conscious states in us......think about it......your consciousness is influenced by what is directly around you, before we had the internet, phones, anything to communicate long distances, we were stuck to our town and the people around us, its not a secret that well traveled people who went outside the normal scope most humans see, are the ones who made discoveries and realizations......maybe we feel a unification now because we simply have these technologies that make physical space irrelevant, we can talk to each other and influence each other from far away places, we can meet here and stabilize our thoughts, i for one must admit, writing and reading posts here has helped me say what ive always wanted to say, like its coming out of me piece by piece, its like physically having you guys around me...

once you meet similar minded people through the internet, it does not matter what people think around you, so where before meeting you may feel very alone on a path that is difficult and not find much help from around you, in fact whats around you will detract from your path, but once you DO communicate with other people and they have similar thoughts or opinions, your mind is like a rocket that blasts off and quickly goes down that road you want to explore.....every moment is truly unique and life is never the present moment, because that moment has passed and its on to the next one.....we have to consider how technology and social structure is changing us and our consciousness, we have to be diligent in seeking truth and debunking bull#, sure we could feel unified now and all these feelings could be surging through us and we can talk about the oneness and all that, but it could be an expression of the times, how can we go back and say this is how its always been or how its going to be......? its like achieving a state because of what is currently around you and then extrapolating it to the future or going back....can we really do this?

im not sure exactly where im going with this, im just trying to think about how we get to our positions and our thoughts....i have no clear position on anything, i want to explore all angles.....

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
oh and this will summarize from years of brain study why i believe consciousness arose...i wrote this as a reply in another thread.....im really looking for some feedback.....

the people/environment/ everything around you does not only influence your unconscious it is what makes up your consciousness......everyone runs the same mechanisms, has the same body, and the same brain. the brain is a super adapting machine like thing that is thrown into a bunch of data(birth) and from the beginning is taking everything in and integrating it, none of us existed at birth, it took time and data for our brains to form our selves, we are all unique because no brain can experience the same things you have, because no person/brain will occupy the same time and space as you(if you were born in the 1500's "you" would be completely different, an expression of the times and things around you, not only what time period your born in, but what location of that time period), thus no one gets the exact same stream of data coming into them, this data is what defines us, it like we are all reporters sent out by god or whatever made us or whatever we come from......we are the same, we are one, we are just spread out.......the universe may be a big abyss, a huge void, but it is consciousness that fills the void, it is the combination of our brains and the data that enable you to have a unique perspective and enable us to sit here in different positions and talk to each other about what WE have learned or experienced, look into someones eyes next time you talk to them and see how much of yourself you see......

join