It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New IBM microchip to 'rival' the human brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Thought this was interesting news and wanted to share:

IBM have developed microchips capable of rewiring themselves and mimicking the human brain.

The technology has been hailed as a move towards "cognitive computing", allowing machines to perform human-like functions such as recognition and learning.

"Imagine traffic lights that can integrate sights, sounds and smells and flag unsafe intersections before disaster happens or imagine cognitive co-processors that turn servers, laptops, tablets, and phones into machines that can interact better with their environments,” said Dharmendra Modha, the leader of the SyNAPSE project, a collaboration with American universities that has so far received $20m in funding from DARPA, the Pentagon's technology research arm.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

With all of the advancements in technology that we have, I think we'll all be walking cyborgs who are all interconnected to ''the system'' . We will all have our own GPS and the likes, and the world of information at our ''brain tips'' (no longer finger tips) in the very near future.

It seems a whole lot of the Sci Fi movies are beginning to come true. This truly amazes me. I think that before too long, we will be like machines interacting with machines through thought alone. This whole society will be so futuristic that this age we are in will seem like the stone age. We are almost there.
Just think about it.
It's all mind boggling, don't you think?

So ...Thinking out loud: Will we be able to discern the humans from the robots in the future? Which is which? Will we be able to tell the difference. I think it would probably be rather difficult. Some of these robots are so life like.... So I'd say it would be hard to recognize which ones will be the REAL folk.

It amazes me how far we have come but at the same time ,imo, it is beginning to get quite scary.

How would we know unless we could see the inside circuitry? Maybe we need to prepare for this somehow?
Would love to know your thoughts!

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

new topics

join