It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women are better endurance athelettes than men.

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Here is my personal observation from working almost 30 years in a factory. Women are generally given the light easier work, where the men are given the more demanding. Here is an example of what I am talking about.
The factory I work in is HAVC residential, we build AC’s and Furnaces along with the accessories to go with them One of the accessories we make is called an A-coil the component that goes in your furnace that the refrigerant passes through to cool you home.

These can weigh between 15-50 pounds depending on how big your system is. For years we would put them on wood skids at the end of the line and it always was a man who did it since we would build around 200-300 a shift. After a man got injured from lifting the boxes we got a hoist with a vacuum device to grab the boxes and lift them onto the skids. As soon as we got the new tool they took the man out of the job and put two women in the job. One to hoist the boxes onto the skids and one to tie the skids off with twine for transportation.

The men began to raise cain about what happened and asked why they did not put any women in that job when you had to lift the boxes and put them on the skids by hand and the answered was the job was not gender friendly prior to getting the hoist system.

This is only one example of where women get paid the same as men and have easier jobs where I work.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Were has the op gone to?

But she does have a point in the endurance part, at least in terms of averages and running, I don't see why they should not be able to out endure men in that department, for the average woman athlete and the average male athlete they should have an advantage technically, and especially because of there ability to retain more fat and therefore burn more fat if it came down to it during long distance running, instead of always putting the strain on your muscles.

And because most men weigh more and have more heavier muscles in general, and as we know the more muscles you have the more oxygen they require to function, and even with the bigger lungs that most males would have eventually it would just be to much strain and to much to carry over longer periods of time.

So technically they should be able to outperform males in that department if there really serious and there mental faculties are willing to go the extra mile.

But anyways I have been thinking and because the only sport I really watch is combat sports and fights, well then the only sport that matters is fighting. So who would really have an advantage there, it seems that the males would dominate no question. But a lot of the rules would cater to there strengths, such as the no shoots in the nuts rule.

So in a fight if we can get rid of that rule then things should equal out somewhat between two game fighters of the same weight and different genders. Because all it would take really is one well placed kick or punch to the nuts and the male would be in for a world of hurt no matter how though or big or strong he is. And while he is down garbing the junk a well placed shin kick to the head or punch and it's lights out.

Which reminds me of the earlier post of the female mma fighter, cristiane cyborg santos. In her weight class and under a no rules fight or at least nut shots allowed fight then she would definitely stand more then a chance against any male fighter within her weight class. So fezably it can be done if one is dedicated enoph to want to do it.

But to get at that level of skill more then a few cuts and broken noses will happen, and it wont be pretty. So I don't see most females even trying it, because lets face it females have other weapons that males do not.

Anyways males cant dominate in everything, maybe females should try something else, like ping pong, or bingo, or cards, or competitive videogames, or paper rock scissors, or volleyball, or whatever else to try to dominate in. Something that would equalize the strength advantages that males have, to see if it is all just strength that it has to do with, or something more.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Personally I don't understand why this is worth arguing about. Can't people (notice I said people, not men or women) simply be who they are and achieve what they achieve without regard to gender? I want to believe that the point of equality and freedom for all people (regardless of gender) is to achieve harmonious unity and coexistence between them, not for one group or side to dominate another or claim superiority over them. If we do the latter then rather than achieving equality, we just swing the pendulum to the opposite side in my opinion.

I choose to respect everyone's achievements, from the most deconditioned disabled person to the most well conditioned athlete, and I don't care what their gender is.

Just my two cents. Peace.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
So a woman 2.2m tall basketball player could well be the new olympic sprinter?

Speed and endurance is much more complicated than height.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
proportionate bla bla bla,

drop down and give me 50!

and not those sissy woman pushups,

I want you to do it like a MAN!!!

lol, so preposterous...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird

Anyways males cant dominate in everything, maybe females should try something else, like ping pong, or bingo, or cards, or competitive videogames, or paper rock scissors, or volleyball, or whatever else to try to dominate in. Something that would equalize the strength advantages that males have, to see if it is all just strength that it has to do with, or something more.

You mean like cleaning?

ETA: but honestly I think women are fine they are just too busy taking care of the kids and mostly professional sports women only live in first world countries or well off families to harvest their talents and spend time training.
edit on 23-8-2011 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Woman have a stronger and higher threshold when it comes to pain, and if you apply what Arnold says about "no pain, no gain", I can definately see the point here.

It all comes from the fact that women are able to endure the extreme pain of child birth, and thay can blame Eve for that.

I have read that unless women are in childbirth, their pain threshold is below a man's.

It is only when giving birth that the female body raises it's pain threshold, apparently.

This study found that men have a higher pain threshold than women.

The nature and extent of group differences in pain tolerance according to age, sex and race were examined.

The method of pain tolerance determi- nation was mechanical pressure on the Achilles tendon, performed on 4 1 , 119 subjects as part of the Kaiser-Permanente Automated Multiphasic Screening examination.

The results showed that, on the average, a) pain tolerance decreases with age; b) men tolerate more pain than women; and c) Whites tolerate more pain than Orientals, while Blacks occupy an inter- mediate position.

www.unethical-studies.org...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Were has the op gone to?

Probably crying on the sofa eating ice cream because of all the people that were mean to her on this thread.

But she does have a point in the endurance part, at least in terms of averages and running,

No, she doesn't. I am a runner, and absolutely no runner that I know, male or female, would argue that women are better runners, even on very long endurance races. There isn't a single race, regardless of how long, where women outperform men.

I don't see why they should not be able to out endure men in that department,

That's because you have never ran in your life.

for the average woman athlete and the average male athlete they should have an advantage technically, and especially because of there ability to retain more fat and therefore burn more fat if it came down to it during long distance running, instead of always putting the strain on your muscles.

Extra fat storages for women are not readily available for "burning." Not to mention the fact that "fat burning" is a slow process. Unless you believe that women's breasts can shrink when they run long distances, by being consumed, women's extra fat storages are a hindrance when running. Fat doesn't produce energy, doesn't produce work, doesn't make you move around. If you have less bodyfat percent, than pound per pound, your body generates more energy and you do more work.

And because most men weigh more and have more heavier muscles in general, and as we know the more muscles you have the more oxygen they require to function, and even with the bigger lungs that most males would have eventually it would just be to much strain and to much to carry over longer periods of time.

So technically they should be able to outperform males in that department if there really serious and there mental faculties are willing to go the extra mile.

Reality begs to disagree with you. Men have bigger hearts, bigger lungs, more red cells, and more efficient muscles. We also have better VO intake. Not to mention the fact that bigger muscles mean less effort to do the same work.

Men also have stronger will. Thanks to testosterone.

But a lot of the rules would cater to there strengths, such as the no shoots in the nuts rule.

A man that gets kicked in the nuts deserve to lose the fight. It is like one of the easiest attacks to block and avoid. How hard is to take one step back?

On the other hand, try surviving a punch in the kidneys.

Which reminds me of the earlier post of the female mma fighter, cristiane cyborg santos. In her weight class and under a no rules fight or at least nut shots allowed fight then she would definitely stand more then a chance against any male fighter within her weight class. So fezably it can be done if one is dedicated enough to want to do it.

Yes, because when Herkelman tried, she was quite successful.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kykweer
You mean like cleaning?

Funny. I actually clean better and faster than my wife. She can't scrub the dirty of the ground as easily. Although to be fair, she has far more attention to detail than I have.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
In the OP's mind, women should have been the hunters, and men should have been the gatherers.

Clearly Mother Nature messed things up at some point and turned it around.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueShaman

Apparently. So next time we are sent on a covert mission ill suggest that we send in the females to slit the throats of our enemies, after all us males are so emotional.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Everyone is equal. This just goes to show that by focusing mostly on strength we're missing the key ingredients that would enlighten us to the broader reality that women are equal.

I believe it's male egocentrism. They want to deny that there is a reality beyond the conventional.

And it's that reality, that broader one, that threatens their ego and sense of identity. To discover that other reality would diminish their role and remove them from significance. It's instinctive fear.

The fear is that they will lose some control. All beings desire control.
edit on 23-8-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Two unidentical twins come out their mom.

One is healthy, and the other is physically disabled.

The healthy child catches all milestones, and the disabled is labeled as mentally deficient.

The healthy child becomes and adult, goes to college, and becomes an engineer.

The mentally deficient child never reaches the maturity of a 10 year old, and is leaching off society for the rest of his/her life.

You're telling me these two people are equal?

That's just not rational in the least bit.

The healthy child is OBVIOUSLY superior to the disabled.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The men's world record for a marathon is held by Haile Gebrselassie 2 hours 3 minutes and 59 seconds. Haile is 5 foot 5. The women's record of 2 hours 15 minutes and 25 seconds is held by Paula Radcliffe. Paula is 5 foot 8. Case closed. Another good comparion is for sprinting : Maurice Greene (5'9) and Marion Jones (5'10). Maurice had a PB of 9.79 seconds, Marion of 10.65. It took me all of 10 seconds to think of these examples and I am sure there are many more. Don't even bring Flo-Jo into it, her runs were so drug and wind assisted its not even worth mentioning.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
My money is always on the Kenyans in marathons (and riots carrying TV's).

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Leahn

No, she doesn't. I am a runner, and absolutely no runner that I know, male or female, would argue that women are better runners, even on very long endurance races. There isn't a single race, regardless of how long, where women outperform men.

Then it is just a motivational and mental thing, because physically in long distance running it the differences are not that great.

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird I don't see why they should not be able to out endure men in that department,

That's because you have never ran in your life.

Sorry bro but I don't consider running even as a sport only something that people do. Infact anything that does not involve blood I dont consider as being a sport. Merely just something to do while bored, or in practice for whatever sport that will involve blood.

Oh and I have run, but I usually run sprints, because anything longer then 30 min just gets boring.

Fat doesn't produce energy, doesn't produce work, doesn't make you move around. If you have less bodyfat percent, than pound per pound, your body generates more energy and you do more work.

Ya sure and bears don't store up on fat because it does not help them in winter. Listen dude its all there for a reason, the trick is to balance it so it works in your favor under whatever competition your going to.

In running like in anything else it will just come down to finding your peak condition and weight for maximum performance.

But I see what your saying and from watching these long distance runners especially some of them form African countries it just looks like the reason they are able to go as far as they do for as long is all on the fact that there skinny as hell. # from the pics it looks like they barely weight 120 pounds at all.

In fact I dont know how it works but if there all not on the same weight then in this sport like in any combat sport weight would give you a big advantage, only as in combat sports how being heavier and bigger will give you an advantage over smaller fighters. In endurance running it seems to be the opposite were the smaller and lighter runner has the advantage.

And so if there not at the same weight on the start of the race then the lighter one has a big advantage.

Reality begs to disagree with you. Men have bigger hearts, bigger lungs, more red cells, and more efficient muscles. We also have better VO intake. Not to mention the fact that bigger muscles mean less effort to do the same work.

And all of that is for the fact to compensate that bigger and heavier muscles require much more oxygen. And trust me in terms of conditioning and going long distances full blast having more muscles will require more effort and strain on your body and heart in supplying all that oxygen that would be necessary for it to function properly.

Bigger muscles do help but only up to the point that they reach there max, when that point happens they are a deterrent to the over all performance.

And that's why people/athletes get there fat muscle and weight in the perfect ratios, when competing in any competition. Because even though muscles do help a lot, if your not conditioned then it wont matter at all. And either way the more muscles the more oxygen required to function right.

Men also have stronger will. Thanks to testosterone.

Like I said it all depends what the competition is. But it all comes down to who has the biggest will regardless.

A man that gets kicked in the nuts deserve to lose the fight. It is like one of the easiest attacks to block and avoid. How hard is to take one step back? On the other hand, try surviving a punch in the kidneys.

Actually you would be surprised how many people underestimate the kick to the nutts. Or the punch to the nutts, or even the headbut to the nutts.

But no matter what they always have the same look on there face when it does happen.
Almost like they thought it would never happen to them.

Basically have you ever seen a guy get hit in the kidneys hard and still win, I have. But I have never seen a guy who got hit hard in the nuts ever come back to win the fight. And usually there on the ground squirming around from all the pain when it happens.

So let me say it again. Never underestimate the strike to the nuts.

Yes, because when Herkelman tried, she was quite successful.

Sorry I dont know who that is or what sport she is in. But if she was going up against a dude, well did she try hitting him in the nuts. And I have seen a couple of fights were females won against males, so it does happen.

Here is one fight I found at random. Its kind of long by the female wins by decision at the end.

And there was another fight i remember i seen on the intertube some years ago were a female vs male fight happened under vale tudo rules. And the female won, from what I remember she got on top of the dude and was punching him then she even headbutted him in the face and broke his nose a little, and finished him out with a submission.

Here found the fight.
www.dailymotion.com...

And there like 2 more fights that I remember seeing were the female won. So were there is a will there is a way.

edit on 23-8-2011 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Alright. How about instead of saying which Gender Group is the most athletic of the bunch. How about we all say that the females are just as great as men are when it comes to Athletics. And that Men are as just as athletic as Women are too. This "gender" is better than this "gender" stuff is making me sick just thinking about it. Why can't we all just get along and instead focus on our Similarities instead of our Differences? If we realize that we are all similar to each other, then maybe we would have an understanding with each other. Everyone might be different, but that doesn't mean that one person is COMPLETELY different. Which gives us the right moment to know each other, and understand one another.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by themegaoverlord

Why dont we say that theyre both equally good? Have you NOT read any of this thread? they aren't, bud.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

Well said. "Cant we just live in peace?"

Wheres the fun in that?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

You are right. They aren't equally great. Because it depends on how much training they have with Athletics, and how well they do when it comes with training. Not because of what gender they are. What I am saying both Men and Women are equally good at Athletics even if they have expert training from the worlds national athletics teachers.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23 >>

join