It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman can't stop eating husband's ashes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by backwardluminary
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Let's get some benevolent skepticism here.

...oh, okay... how's this?... a rabbi, a priest and a duck walked into a bar and the duck says, "did you see the ASH on that gal?...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Do you have thoughts on this issue that go beyond the typical knee-jerk anti-Freud reaction? I think that this is an interesting way to approach this story. Tell me why I'm wrong instead of ridiculing my posts. I'm really interested in hearing your objections.

And, truly, benevolent skepticism is an excellent way to approach not only Freud but pretty much all issues. You've clearly got the "skepticism" part down well, but I think you would benefit from working on the benevolence.

Or if, as it seems, you simply have no interest in the topic at all, why are you posting in the first place? Again, I think that a fruitful discussion is possible here.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by backwardluminary

...never said you were wrong, honey... you imagined that - just like you're imagining that i need your direction on how to respond to a thread topic... if you want to be serious on this thread - fine, knock yourself out... i choose to not be serious about She Who Eats ASH...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

My apologies. I mistook the ridicule that you directed toward Freud, the origin if the ideas on which I based my explanation, for disagreement. You have not, thus far, struck me as much of a Freudian.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

I don't remember exactly where this was, except that it was in some remote and desolate mountain range. They found the bones of the elderly and even the bones of children that showed signs of cannibalism. After doing more research and study into these people, they came to believe that the cannibalism wasn't because they killed and ate the dead, but because they believed that when the loved one dies, that the only way to "keep them with you" was to eat their bodies.

Rather grim I know. However I had a "Eww, that's gross!" moment turn into an, "Aww, that's so sad..." one. Maybe this is what the lady in the OP's story is subconsciously doing? She's making sure that her loved one is still with her. Not saying it's correct, just trying to shed some light on why she might be doing it.

But yes, as others have already said I too hope she finds the help she deserves.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I had a client once .(.she and her husband were both physics professors at a University, so obviously very bright people) and he had a heart attack and died. She started wearing his clothes, shoes, watch, and having severe chest pains, and mimicking his behaviors in other ways. It was a little weird.

We called it "exaggerated grief reaction".

But this takes the cake!

My God! Somebody help the poor thing! Take those ashes away from her!

ETA:Oh wait, didn't read the whole thread....but what religion is it where they eat the deceased? It's their way of keeping them alive, and honoring them. Can't remember. It's some kind of tribal thing somewhere.....

ETA again: Ooops, just read the post above mine, so that's what I was thinking of. When you think of it that way, it doesn't seem quite so , uh, wrong.

edit on 8/26/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by backwardluminary

Backwardluminary, I understand, and think you make a valid and excellent explanation. I'm sure you're correct.

Wyn, I absolutely understand why you are cracking up. Your post made me crack up, the situation is so shocking it's funny.

God. I'm so well rounded I amaze myself. Sigh.

edit on 8/26/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Wyn, I absolutely understand why you are cracking up. Your post made me crack up, the situation is so shocking it's funny.

God. I'm so well rounded I amaze myself. Sigh.

...lmao - you're a hoot, lady...

...yep, humor is a great coping mechanism... however, i wasnt shocked by this woman's deal - have seen much worse... hearing about or reading about something is one thang... seeing it up close and personal is a totally different dawg... as long as this gal's not hurting anyone else - its her life, her call... hell, for all we know, mista ash is totally enjoying it...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
If this catches on, the funeral director will be asking not only what type of urn you'd like, but what flavor
Pringles will start buying up all the mortuary businesses

Haha, but seriously. People do all kinds of weird stuff and grieving can only exacerbate that. This lady just made the kind of unfortunate mistake of talking to a reporter. Now if she eats all the ashes and starts thinking about charbroiling other loved ones to get her fix, she should see a therapist immediately. Otherwise, I say let her eat whatever she wants in the privacy of her own home.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Universer
If this catches on, the funeral director will be asking not only what type of urn you'd like, but what flavor
Pringles will start buying up all the mortuary businesses

Had to lol at that and thought Barbequed Pringle flavor even. Ewwww. lol.
Hey ya never know what may come next! lmao ... It's a wacky world we live in !

Thanks again for the replies all. It's nice to see so many STILL with a sense of humor, especially these days

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I don't think her husband would like her eating his ashes?!?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Rebel21

I don't think so either, sweetie. I know I wouldn't want mine eating my bones. Ewww... it's gross to think about, isn't it? I sure hope you find more pleasant things to be thinking about. Hey , do your parents know you are here???

Sorry so long in the response. Have gotten a bit busy with other threads/posts and have tended to neglect this one.

Thanks again for the replies... all! Appreciate you all.

edit on 17-9-2011 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I think that she should try rolling the ashes up and smoking it. Simply for the purpose of taking a break from whatever else she is normally smoking cause she aint right...

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Saw a story in which a man had a tiny amount of his late wife's ashes added to the ink of the tattoo he was having done in her memory. Not so bad, a bit of memorial ritualism, etc. I've read that it's gaining in popularity, but the amt. of ash used is microscopic. Meant to be a commemoration, of sorts... Eating the ashes, not so much...

edit on 17-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I think the woman has a nutritional deficiency. Or it's a case of pica, craving non-foods.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I was just reading the article out loud to my wife and I started gagging. That's just disgusting.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
More of a compulsion than an addiction. Probably some manifestation of OCD. Weird none the less.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join