It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman can't stop eating husband's ashes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Came across this wild news story and wanted to share. I've never heard of this type of addiction before! But nothing surprises me anymore these days.

In a bizarre habit a 26-year-old has been unable to resist eating the ashes of her late husband.

26-year-old Casie lost her husband to a severe asthma attack and first tasted his ashes when she got some on her fingers while transferring them from one container to another. "Some of it spilled out on my hands. I didn't want to just wipe him away, so I just licked it off my fingers. And here I am today, almost two months later and I can't stop," she says

Please read full article:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

I feel sorry for the gal and sure hope she's gotten the help she needs. I can not imagine this type addiction ever getting a hold of me. Can you?

Well , guess you could say, he'll always be a part of her.

Can you imagine getting soO hooked then having to crunch on the bone fragments next? Kind of sick to think about. What happens when ya run out ?

Hey, a new form of canibalism, eh?

Ya never know what type addiction will spring up next. It's a crazy world out there.

Wild huh? I found it definitely strange and sick.

Let's just hope we don't get any strange addictions...lol YUCK!

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Oh God, i think i am gonna throw up...

What is wrong with the people...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
If you can imagine it... then there's already a website dedicated to it.
I've seen and heard about worse, but my imagination can go pretty deep.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Clearly just a minor breakdown of sorts.

I wonder if there is any nutritional value overall in this...

In considering it, its not really a bad way to be "buried"...become part of the one you loved most. If there is no health benefits, it might almost be a unique funeral...spread the ashes and crushed up bones into dust in a meal that all whom loved the person share in...would save on funeral expenses, and give everyone a personal piece of the person within them...literally.

I see no problem as a concept, however this particular individual may need some therapy as its not some sort of loving thought out memorial ceremony.

Is it better to have worms eat us than loved ones?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Actually...wasn't this a southpark episode where Eric Cartman mistook the urn of ashes as chocolate milk mix and drank someone...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Woman can't stop eating husband's ashes

Did i just read this headline on ATS?

WTF, I am not reading this one....Sorry op I'll flag you though

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Her husband was a piece of crap anyways.....

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Did she run out of pepper?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Well she is eventually going to have stop eating her Husbands ashes as eventually she will have eaten all of her husbands ashes.

I wonder what the withdraw symptoms would be like with that.
edit on 20-8-2011 by Timing because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
She just became much closer to her husband. "Energy can never be created or destroyed, only transferred." Just a thought.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This is truly strange, but I was thinking about it a bit more and I have a question.

So, the five stages of grief are denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.
Would this fit in to bargaining? Then, when the ashes run out, the next stage is depression, and when she is back on the normal food, acceptance.

I have no idea how to type that out without sounding silly haha, but it's a legitimate query.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

In considering it, its not really a bad way to be "buried"...become part of the one you loved most.

Yes, but we all know what the final result of something we eat is...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
She's clearly making an Ash of herself

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

Was he a diabetic? Maybe it tastes like caramel?

Sorry, bad joke.

Khar

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I lol'd at a lot of them. You can't help but find humor in things sometimes

On the serious side, I dO hope the woman has gotten the help she so desperately needed..

sure do appreciate the laughs... thanks once again.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

It's not "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" anymore!!

It's now "ashes to ashes, food if you must"!! LOL

Sorry I had to chime in on this one!!

He must have been an ashehole....

Wonder if this chick has a fat ashe??

Alright I am done....

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This sounds like a pretty classic case of neurosis in the Freudian sense to me. Has anyone here ever read "Mourning and Melancholia?" I think that that could provide an excellent context for this type of act.

Freud defines mourning as the reaction to the loss of a loved person (or abstraction, ideal, etc.).

He states that "reality-testing has shown that the loved object no longer exists, and it proceeds to demand that all libido shall be withdrawn from its attachments to that object." In general, this work of withdrawing the libido from its attachment faces opposition. The libido does not willingly give up its position. Note that, in psychoanalysis, the term "libido" is sexual in nature but has a much broader meaning than "desire to have sex." Freud compares the libido which attaches itself to objects to the pseudopodia of an amoeba. Ideally, the process of mourning involves withdrawing the pseudopod as the object for which it reached no longer exists. Over time, the reality principle generally wins out and the libido is withdrawn from the now-nonexistent object.

So this woman is going through mourning in an abnormal manner. When you think about it in this context though, it makes a strange sort of sense. She is "withdrawing the pseudopod" and withdrawing the libido. She's just doing that in a far too physical/literal sense. Though it is odd, hopefully finishing this process, which is likely highly-symbolic, will get her through the mourning process. She'll finish with her libido withdrawn from the object. The symbolic "eating" act will undo the cathexis, the energy she invested in her husband. It will be returned to her, and she will be done with the mourning process upon finishing. No withdrawals.

Hopefully.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by backwardluminary
So this woman is going through mourning in an abnormal manner.

...but thats based upon the illogical sway that there is a normal manner... then again, you were talking freud and that poor thang wouldnt have known normal if it smacked him upside his big ol punkin head...

...seriously, ahem - the only consistently abnormal behavior that shows up during the mourning process is the incessantly stupid things that well-intentioned people say to the griever - like - "they're in a better place" or "here, take this little pill - it'll make it ALL better"... people like that need a radical colon adjustment...

...now, an appropriate song (or two or three or four)...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

I do admit that Freudian psychoanalysis has its (many) flaws, one of them being its normative structure, but I don't think that dismissing it out of hand is a particularly good response. Let's get some benevolent skepticism here.

Also, when I refer to a "normal" method of mourning, I mean "normal" in terms of "expected by society." Perhaps, for this woman, eating ashes is a great way to get through the mourning process. It is not something that really works with our societal norms, though--that is the issue at hand here.

I think that it is also important to note that Freud did not posit his theories as facts but instead used them as representative tools. There is, of course, no way for us to know the "structure" of the unconscious or the "forces" that is possesses. He uses these ideas (ego, id, superego, cathexis, transference, libido, etc.) as representative tools to provide a manner in which we can visualize unconscious processes.

Besides, regardless of whether or not you accept his system of thought, it DOES provide an interesting way of looking at the situation. I highly recommend "Mourning and Melancholia;" it's a fascinating and highly relevant article.
edit on 26-8-2011 by backwardluminary because: Clarified my definition of "normal"

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
She just wanted him inside her one last time...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join