It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did you learn C++? I'm having trouble getting even started.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I need some book and website recommendations.
I'm learning this from scratch, I have no experiences any programming languages.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Segador

Start with something a little easier, you need a basis of logical processes before you can deal with C++...

I would suggest HTML to start. Get a sound basis of that and move on to something harder.

The basics of C++ are simple, but once you get in deep, things get mighty complicated.

I would also suggest buying a book on the subject... great for references

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Once you've got the basic logic of programming down, you can actually do it pretty easily; you just have to know the syntax. Word of warning: don't try to start with C++ from the Object Oriented angle; try to start from the procedural angle.

Here's a link to a good site that breaks it down pretty well: link

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
So should I jump straight into C++ or should I learn Java after I get gist of html?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Segador

Start with the basics of c++ if you insist on learning it. Theres a lot of stuff to learn, it will take you a few years to master.

Personally, i would start with a less complicated language

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Segador

I started with java although I can't remember the environment I programmed in, it was a while ago. I do know of Blue J though, never used it personally but that may be a good place to start. From there I moved on to Visual Basic and at that point it was really easy.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Segador

Btw i'd just like to point out i am not a c++ programmer, i am self taught. I've designed very very small programs in C++ but nothing more then a 1st year cpu science student.

Im not really a person one might take advice from considering like i said, i am self taught. I struggled to understand c++ and i still struggle.

Im just giving advice based on my experience

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Segador
I need some book and website recommendations.
I'm learning this from scratch, I have no experiences any programming languages.

google is all you ever need,
1st, find a c/c++ compiler, there are just a lots if you google, determine what tools you want to use.
2nd, books, no need, you just need internet.
3rd, i actually suggest you try read how the computer works (basic architecture) before you start learning programming.
4th, decide what solution you want to code, then just code, google while doing it, don't copy paste, retype them is better than copy paste.

after you finish 4th step, then i give u 5th step.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
If you're coming from zero programming background and want to learn C++, I recommend you start off learning something that's a bit more "user friendly". C# would be a good choice as the syntax shares some similarity with C++, but some of the trickier things such as pointers & memory management/garbage collection are done for you (A good starting point is msdn.microsoft.com...=vs.71%29.aspx)

Learning to program can be a long, frustrating & tedious process, so don't expect to be whipping up full featured applications straight away. In fact you won't even be touching GUI stuff for quite a while. You have to start off slow and get a good grip of the fundamental concepts before you can write anything useful.

1. Write the standard "Hello World" console application.
2. Learn how to manipulate strings (combine two strings, retrieve part of a string, split a string, replace characters in a string).
3. Learn how to perform arithmetic operations.
4, Learn how to use logical operators (and, or, xor etc)
5. Learn about arrays (including multi-dimensional arrays)
6. Learn how to take user input and display it back to the user (and if you want to be fancy, do some sort of processing to the user input).
7. Learn how to read and write to a file (binary & plaintext)
8. Learn how to write a class.
9. Learn about Object Orientated Programming (inheritance, polymorphism, sub-classing etc). From this point forward things start to get challenging and you'll probably find yourself threatening to throw the computer out the window

10. Write your own linked-list. If you find that easy, make it doubly-linked list that uses a binary search.
11. Learn how to do a bubble-sort.
12. Start reading up on design patterns (factory method, builder method, abstract method etc)
13. Combine all of the above to write a dodgy program that tests your understanding (something like: read a list of vehicles from a file, and use them to create a list of different types (classes) of vehicles (Motorbike, Truck, Car) that share a common base class and output the list to the user).

There's still LOTS to learn after step 13, but by then you'll have a good enough grasp of the fundamentals to start learning C++.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
C# and Java are both similar and easier than C++ to get started on. Once you are comfortable with the basics then the move to C++ will be easier with some experience of the common commands and basic structure. I got started many years ago on Basic language just typing out programs and making a few changes to help understand what was going on. Finding a good website that makes sense to you is important and taking the time to read through all the commands to understand the capabilities and limitations also helps a lot. 'Hello World' programs help in getting started with what ever language you choose. Then it is a matter of using the language to build up your skills with it, just copying other source code is a good start.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Definitely worth learning to program with C++ before anything else. C++ has long been the best programming language out there. Did you know that VB and other such frameworks actually use C++?

If you can learn the fundamentals of C++, you will pick up other programming languages easier as you will learn logical processes and memory preservation with C++.

I studied C++ in Uni and started with the basic hello world applications and then worked up to small programs.

This book looks like it has good reviews, although I have never read it: www.amazon.com...=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313866193&sr=1-5

It's worth going through some websites learning the basic functions and how to write simple hello world applications before diving into the book though, it will really give you a head start.

Good luck!

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
C# and Java are both similar and easier than C++ to get started on.

Very true. C# is quite popular. Lots of people seem to be trending towards this language. If you're new starting out you might want to try working on this language since the market is bigger for these jobs.

Download Visual Studio Express for a good free compiler. When you do pick a language, find a book that has exercises that go with the reading material. That really helps out a lot. Something like Sams, Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days might be a good place to start. Don't get the "For Dummies" books. They're okay but they don't have proper focus and skip over important issues.

C# and Java are great but don't underestimate C++. Personally I love the language. It's very powerful but some people shy away from it because it doesn't do stuff magically for you like C# does. Still, C++ is totally my favorite programming language and it's what I do for a living every day although the C# is working it's way in to my general use more and more.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
This is the C programming beginners website. They show you step by step what to download, where to download it from and how to understand and use the language. They even have a support community. It doesn't get any easier than this. if you can handle the lessons provided here then you are on your way.
Cprogramming.com

edit on 20-8-2011 by dainoyfb because: I typo'd

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
PS. The lessons and tools on Cprogramming.com are free. I went through the lessons to transition from the languages I already knew to C++ so that I could transition to Objective-C in order to write IPad apps. It had me up and running in no time. The lessons are strait forward, especially if you already have a notion for thinking about logic based operations of any kind in the real world.

top topics

join