It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes Ron Paul so special?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
In the midst of everything going on, the 2012 elections due in a year, and all the talk about Ron Paul and his campaign to "change American history", one question just can't get out of my mind.

Why does everyone automatically assume that Ron Paul will be able to make any change what so ever?

Now I am not doubting Ron as a person, he may very well have all the intentions in the world to make a change. But really, how will he do it?

The last president who came into power that actually started making change was killed (JFK). The last president who promised major change before being elected, literally turned his back on just about everything he said.

Why will Paul be any different?

Who's to say that once he gets into office he won't turn his back on everything he promised?
Not possible? Take a look at the promises the last president made and never kept.

Obama's Top 10 Broken Promises
Official Obama Administration Scandal List
The "Obameter"

Maybe he has every intention of making change. But what happens when he wins and he is confronted with the decision to either play ball as the establishment has been playing thus far, or have his friends, family and life threatened. Will he hold true, or will he turn his back? And if he does hold true then who is going to protect him? When the entire government and its military is essentially a privatized industry.

Again I am not bashing Ron Paul or questioning his motives, what I wan't to know is how people think he will really do it. Playing devils advocate so to speak. Because the way I see it, the power structure is too deeply embedded to have any one man take the throne and just decide that he is going to turn it around.
At the same time the possibility also lies in the fact that he is another set up to begin with. To say what we wan't to hear and then once in office, turn around and continue what has been. We haven't been able to hold any politician accountable for anything they have said before, what makes us think we can hold him accountable now?

Your Thoughts?

Ghandi

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Fine points.

I think Ron Paul is a little naive about the government he works with.
I know he understands the dire nature of the situation, but the depth evil I think eludes him for the time.
If he were elected and found himself in such situations I think he would be in for a very rude awakening.

i know he means well, and I hope he gets elected, I also hope he has the fortitude and integrity to hold the course until death. His choice in the end.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Couldn't have said it better myself.
We all want a logical human being in that office, but we live in a Corporatocracy (spelling?).
The Builderbergers pick their favorite actors, the actors play the battling it out game, and whichever one wins doesn't really matter to TPTB as long as they dictate policy & procedure for the nations.

I want Paul to win, but I don't want to see the guy get whacked either.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I don't even care to read your thread, simply because I saw some references in comparison to Obama.

Paul has been saying the same thing since... Meh, before most people on this site were born.

Obama? He came out of the woodwork. And people believed him because the media manipulated the weak minds into doing so.

Never trust a guy who makes promises in the form of a joke. You won't be laughing later on.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

I understand your point, but please read what I actually had to say, I wasn't necessarily comparing him to Obama.
edit on 20-8-2011 by Ghandi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
There's one change he could make on day one without the consent of any governing body on Earth, including Congress: ending the revolving wars. That enough warrants my voting for him, as it should for anyone.

/TOA

link   
reply to post by snowen20

Yeah no reason for him to understand politics, what with him being a long time senator and all...

I think what you see as not understanding the system is just a man with Honor who won't bend to the corrupt systems.

Naive? maybe, Honorable and Brave? Damn straight.

link   
But the thing is, all the Ron Paul supporters knew Obama would break his promises before he was even elected. It became obvious when he went from totally pro-peace to troops gone in 16 months. Ron Paul hasn't flip flopped in 30 years.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

So you truly believe that, day one, he will walk into the office, sit down, sign a piece of paper and the troops will come home?
I just have a hard time seeing it happen that way. Won't there be a resistance, weather real or created, against that decision?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghandi
reply to post by The Old American

So you truly believe that, day one, he will walk into the office, sit down, sign a piece of paper and the troops will come home?
I just have a hard time seeing it happen that way. Won't there be a resistance, weather real or created, against that decision?

A Ron Paul president can not do everything he wants without help from congress. He would technically need an approval by congress to shut down the fed (although he could appoint a libertarian do-nothing fed chairman). But as commander in chief of the armed forces, no one can legally stop him from bringing the troops home. You don't need a declaration of withdrawal from congress.

link   
reply to post by Ghandi

Well said Ghandi. I would even go so far as to make a prediction and say that if RP is elected, exactly nothing of real substance will actually change. I can make that bet without much fear of being wrong, as it seems impossible he would be allowed to win in our rigged election system anyway, but I don't trust anybody who has been in Congress for 20 years. That being said, what makes RP so special is that he makes a great figurehead for self-styled patriots. He is somebody that people who love freedom can rally around. That doesn't mean he can deliver it, but it sounds really good on paper. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. But then again, what do we have lose with Ron Paul? This nation is so far down the rabbit hole that it is hard to envision him doing more harm than good. Like I said, we will never know...

link   
reply to post by Ghandi

If I am wrong may I never make another prediction again!

edit on 20-8-2011 by WoundedByHonesty because: double post

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

I understand that, however what happens when it is well known that he is about to do it, and then is confronted in private about how if he does do it, his life or his families life is in jeopardy? Is that not a legitimate possibility? Not just possibility but likely what will happen?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It's all about that pesky Constitution.

Either we are going to follow it or write a new one.

Until we have a new one.

Let's use the framework the founders intended.

To me, it's not really about Dr. Paul.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Ron Paul has a few things going for him

First he has not flip flopped in thirty years.

Second he has been in D.C. for those SAME thirty years.

There is NO WAY the man could still be naive.

I would not be surprised to find he knows where a lot of the "Congressional" dead bodies are buried so to speak.

The big power that the president has is in HOW he enforces the laws on the books.

The absolutely blatant corruption in the FDA and USDA are a case in point. At a minimum the President can clean house. With luck he can have a lot of the corrupt players put in jail.

New Federal Lobbying Disclosure Rules

In September 2007, President Bush signed into law the Honest Leadership and Open Government Act of 2007 (S.1). The law contains several important changes for nonprofits that engage in federal lobbying and advocacy, and lobbyists will be required to follow new disclosure rules. (The term ‘‘lobbyist’’ means any individual who is employed or retained by a client for financial or other compensation for services that include more than one lobbying contact, other than an individual whose lobbying activities constitute less than 20 percent of the time engaged in the services provided by such individual to that client over a three month period. When the lobbyist is an employee of an organization, it is the organization that registers as the lobbyist and submits reports.) The federal rules are separate from the rules in the Internal Revenue Code that limit lobbying expenditures.

Beginning in April 2008, federal lobbyists are required to file quarterly lobbying reports electronically (previously, the reporting period was semi-annually). Lobbyists will be able to use the new forms to file 2007 year-end lobbying reports, although current forms will also be accepted until March 15.

The registration threshold (total expenses in connection with lobbying activities) for organizations dropped from $24,500 (semi-annually) to $10,000 (quarterly). The filing process has been streamlined so that one lobbying report form can be filed with the House and Senate simultaneously.

Reporting must now occur 20 days after the end of the quarterly period beginning on the first day of January, April, July and October of each year in which a registrant is registered, and all reports must be filed electronically. Associations or coalitions that receive more than $5,000 a quarter from an organization for “lobbying activities” must disclose that organization’s name if the organization actively participates in the planning, supervision or control of such lobbying activities.

The civil penalty for organizations that knowingly violate federal lobby laws increased to $200,000 from $50,000, and criminal penalties could result for those who willfully violate the regulations. Lobbyists and organizations that employ lobbyists are prohibited from providing gifts (including travel) to members of Congress if the gifts violate the House and Senate Ethics Rules.... www.npccny.org...

This little gem alone can give Ron Paul a lot of power if he has been keeping tabs on all the corruption happening in D.C.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
reply to post by snowen20

Yeah no reason for him to understand politics, what with him being a long time senator and all...

I think what you see as not understanding the system is just a man with Honor who won't bend to the corrupt systems.

Naive? maybe, Honorable and Brave? Damn straight.

What I actually said was:

I know he understands the dire nature of the situation, but the depth evil I think eludes him for the time.

So I do think he fully understands where he is and what he is doing better than most.....But, I think he may either not want to openly discuss the greater sickness within to avoid hurting his reputation further. OR He is somehow in denial like many Americans and other politicians who don't want to believe that the government they struggle for and or deal with daily is a bad and very radioactive apple.

Either way, he is in danger of becoming a victim, and that is sad. But not just him his family as well, and I would hate to see it done to what appears to be the ONLY honest person in Washington.

Out of all the people I have seen, Paul is the only one that seems to give a damn and have the integrity to tell like it is and push all the way through with his beliefs without folding.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
What makes Paul special?

He's one of the few congressmen that get up on the podium and speaks the TRUTH.

I don't agree with him on everything, but I respect a man that works in public office and does not lie.

He should be independent, just like Bernie Sanders. We need more independent politicians that work for the people.

The two party system, and it's controllers, need to be dismantled.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave
What makes Paul special?

I don't agree with him on everything, but I respect a man that works in public office and does not lie.

He should be independent, just like Bernie Sanders. We need more independent politicians that work for the people.

He should have run third party, but they make it so damn expensive.
With his poor (Media Produced / induced) reputation it would have been over for him already.
Running republican in that case was a good call, but I think everyone in the party knows that he is using the Republican ticket to stay in the game. If it works, it is a guerrilla tactic for sure, but hey, war is a bitch.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhandiI understand your point, but please read what I actually had to say, I wasn't necessarily comparing him to Obama.

What people need to understand, is that every single president that comes forth from this point on is going to be put under a microscope, and likely labeled as the anti-christ as well, much like our last 2 presidents did. Obama was labeled the anti-christ before even becoming elected. Won't be long until people start trying this with Paul.

Fact of the matter is, that Ron Paul is a much different bread of political machine, and it isn't him alone that is going to drop the curtain on this donkey show. People need to understand, that he's a messenger, and he's spreading a message of truth which exposes corruption. Once people validify these truth's, they get mad, for good reason, and they then feel more empowered to take things into their own hands -- the way it is supposed to be in this country. This kind of message has been long overdue, and it has the establishment running crazy.

People need to stop looking at Ron Paul as 'The Savior'. He's was just a seed, and the tree is growing. His work is already done. Whether he gets knocked off by the opposition, flip-flops, or loses this election, won't change a thing. The damage has already been done, as they say. But I mean that in a good way.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave
What makes Paul special?

I agree, he does not lie. Honesty is a rare thing in politics. I like that he is open to the power of ideas, and getting people excited about liberties and responsible citizenship. He seems willing to learn and change his outlook if it fits within a constitutional framework. He sets it up to allow for a people based solution.

He must be making a lot of people nervous. I wonder what unscrupulous tactics they will come up with next to smear him?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join