It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony drops price on PS3 To $249, is an Xbox 360 price drop next?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Sony has dropped the price of the base model PS3 from $299 to $249 in the US.
www.ibtimes.com...

The question is will their competitors, Microsoft and Nintendo follow suit? The current lowest pricing for the Xbox 360 is $199 and the Wii $149. Microsoft sold a version of the Xbox 360 for $149 for about a 8 month period but replaced the model with the $199 price tag.

Both systems are aging, however game support is not lacking. Microsoft has enjoyed the lead status of sales with the 360, however much of that may be to the fact owners of the original models may have had to buy replacements (such as myself) as they received the "Red Ring of Death" syndrome where the system was unable to cool itself properly, blowing out the circuitry.

Game systems preference, in my opinion, have always been a combination of controllers and game support. Zelda fans will stick with the Wii, Halo fans with Xbox 360 etc. My last Xbox 360 only lasted 1.5 years and was purchased used from Gamestop. I'm waiting for a price drop to $149 or $129 for Xbox 360 before I purchase another one.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
yep, wait for the holiday/end of year clearance sales. Prices are the best at that time. And with the economy the way it is they will be fighting for business.
edit on 20-8-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
They could be preparing for the next gen consoles. I heard that Doom 4 may have to be released on them. It's already big enough to fill a blue ray, which is massively worrying for someone like me.

I'm not sure where you heard Xbox were doing so well because from what I've seen Ninetendo has been leaving both Microsoft and Sony in the dust, in terms of sales.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
what, sales on the 3ds are terrible from what i heared and i know many people with an xbox, less with a ps3 and nearly no-one with a wii.

xbox are doing really well from xbox live.
and theres this itportal

i've had my xbox for about 3 years and have never had the ring of death yet. when i do i'll by the updated xbox because the other consoles lack good games in my opinion.

only games i like on the other consoles are zelda (wii), mgs4 (ps3). no other game interested me.

edit on 20-8-2011 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

Not any one console in particular just in general. The Wii is the obvious money maker. I agree though Xbox live is the best thing since sliced bread.

www.xbitlabs.com...
www.xbitlabs.com...
img.tgdaily.net...
scrapetv.com...
www.thesixthaxis.com...
media.giantbomb.com...

I've got 360 written through me like a stick of Blackpool rock. But you got to admire the guys at Nintendo, proof that graphics will always come second to originality and gameplay. They certainly bounced back from that Game cube thing.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I bought my xbox 360 for 200 bucks 3 years ago and ps3 is just now dropping their console to 249? Lol wow, what with the PS3's fail rate? No, i'm an xbox360 fan all the way. Besides, sony doesn't have HALO and if you don't like HALO you suck.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
yeah they're topping the sales charts (somehow).
whats the total profit from this, i'm sure xbox has been consistently topping the profit charts. i couldn't find anything but recent profits not total profits.

and yes halo will always be the king as long as the next games dont suck like halo 3.
halo reach = awesome

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Considering you get a blu ray player, controllers and other things that don't require batteries to operate for 250...... In hardware alone the PS3 beats the 360 so for 250 I don't think it's a bad deal at all..... You would say the 360 has better games but that is just matter of personal opinion, it will be interesting to see the competition this fall though.....

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JKF1897

Who plays Sony these days. kids have the Wii, adults have the Xbox??

Sony really stabbed their loyal customers in the back with PS3.

the awesome decision to design it where PS2 games can't be played was a stellar greed play that blew up..

everyone had a play station one, and hordes of games which was able to be played on ps2. that is why many chose PS2 over xbox when they came out.. YOU COULD STILL PLAY ALL YOUR OLD GAMES..
But, when PS3 came out many chose it over xbox 360 because they had accumulated alot of expensive PS2 games..

What a crappy, punk a$$ thing Sony did to people over that. Trying to be greedy and force people to buy more games. They knew PS3 sucked in comparison to the 360 which is a superior unit with WAAAAAY better game designers and play. Sony KNEW they couldn't compete with it so they decided to Shaft their loyal customers who MANY chose it thinking as before, their old games would work on it.. For that very reason I am a "lobbyist" against PS3

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

Would you like some cheese with that whine???

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Sony has been dominating this year, despite the hacking dramas.

The new price drop in Australia is AUD$298. That's a steal!

Add all the exclusive games coming out at the end of the year and early next year, Xbox will be struggling to compete against it. Unless they bring out another 5 Halos... Which they probably will lol...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Well I don't think it'll be long before the next-gen consoles come out, at least from X-box.
It's been out nearly 5 years now....
Can't be too much longer.

But then they're still milking it with the Kinect and so on.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by aRogue

there are another 3 halos coming .
what are the ps3 exclusive games that you mention.
and i doubt xbox will ever struggle, quite a few kinnect games being released.

edit on 21-8-2011 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Nice

new topics

top topics

join