It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US considers funding $12 billion Pakistani dam project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Really...

Even as U.S.-Pakistani cooperation on anti-terrorism programs is withering, the United States is considering backing the construction of a giant, $12 billion dam in Pakistan that would be the largest civilian aid project the U.S. has undertaken here in decades.

Approval of the project still faces many hurdles. India objects to the dam because it would be in Kashmir, an area that India also claims. The project also is likely to face opposition from Pakistan’s critics in the U.S. Congress, who’ve called for all aid to be cut off after Osama bin Laden was found hiding in northern Pakistan earlier this year. Recent Pakistani actions, including allegations this week that Pakistan had allowed Chinese military experts to inspect the wreckage of an American stealth helicopter that crashed in the bin Laden compound, are likely to inflame such criticism.

Great idea... America got loads and loads of money to waste... especially abroad... and especially in a country that hates all that is western.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Great. Let's piss India off when we should be befriending them even more nowadays.

What is this Administration even thinking?

Are they even thinking?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Oh there's an ulterior motive on the part of the U.S. no doubt. Its in Kashmir, clearly ticking off Pakistan.
Maybe retaliation from the whole China thing?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The US desperately wants to be good friends with Pakistan. If Pakistan stops being their Allie its gonna hurt the US very bad. Oh and also, this is just gonna go in Pakistans debt so its not really a funding...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Really...

Even as U.S.-Pakistani cooperation on anti-terrorism programs is withering, the United States is considering backing the construction of a giant, $12 billion dam in Pakistan that would be the largest civilian aid project the U.S. has undertaken here in decades.

Approval of the project still faces many hurdles. India objects to the dam because it would be in Kashmir, an area that India also claims. The project also is likely to face opposition from Pakistan’s critics in the U.S. Congress, who’ve called for all aid to be cut off after Osama bin Laden was found hiding in northern Pakistan earlier this year. Recent Pakistani actions, including allegations this week that Pakistan had allowed Chinese military experts to inspect the wreckage of an American stealth helicopter that crashed in the bin Laden compound, are likely to inflame such criticism.

Great idea... America got loads and loads of money to waste... especially abroad... and especially in a country that hates all that is western.

Well gee, isn't this nice.
There's millions out of work here in the US, obama claims we're broke but hey, what's a few billion to a nation that'll stab us in the back after the project is done. Wouldn't this measly 12billion be better spent here to home? I hear there's a wall that needs to be built along our mexican border, wouldn't that kill to birds with one stone? Solve our illegal alien problem and put some Americans to work. We've got dams here in the US in rough shape couldn't the 12billion be used to fix that? Since obamas not worried about our debt why not spend the money here to home.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

To fund this effort in light of our current financial circumstances coupled with the blatant hostility Pakistan has shown towards the US is treasonous. It is aiding the enemy.

To work to have the funding package put together, push it through the system to have it approved is conspiracy to commit treason.

Both should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

the blatant hostility Pakistan has shown towards the US

As far as I am aware it's the United States who is violating Pakistan territory at will with unmanned drones and killing Pakistani civilians.

I can't believe the United States would be so altruistic, so there has to be something in it for them.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
To fund a dam for Pakistan would be a fool's endeavor! This is especially true considering the sorry state of our own economy and infrastructure. Unfortunately, it sounds like something Mr. Obama, and his administration, would support, though.

reply to post by GLaDOS

The US desperately wants to be good friends with Pakistan.

Friends that need to be bought, are not friends at all!

If Pakistan stops being their Allie its gonna hurt the US very bad.

Pakistan is NOT an ally! It's a parasite!

Oh and also, this is just gonna go in Pakistans debt so its not really a funding...

I seriously doubt that! It will likely be a giveaway!

reply to post by Kram09

As far as I am aware it's the United States who is violating Pakistan territory at will with unmanned drones and killing Pakistani civilians.

Well... As far as I am concerned, many of the Pakistani civilians you refer to are enemy combatants. Pakistan is NOT doing what they promised to do. Instead, they are aiding and abetting these enemy combatants. They forced our hand, so I'm all for it!

I can't believe the United States would be so altruistic, so there has to be something in it for them.

That seems to be a popular belief, and is one of the best reasons I can think of to stop aiding the countries that feel that way.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

As far as I am concerned, many of the Pakistani civilians you refer to are enemy combatants.

How do you come to that conclusion?

Did they launch attacks on the United States?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Again, another reason why I am ashamed that I voted for Obama
in the last election.This is a slap across the face to all american
citizens'.Our current administration is too busy helping out countries
that are not our friends.The U.S. is in desperate need as well,bridges,
roads,power grid,just to name a few need worked on or replaced.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

How do you come to that conclusion?

Quite often enemy combatants cross the border into Afghanistan and attack US forces. I have no doubt that many of these enemy combatants are Pakistani nationals. Apparently you have never heard of the "Pakistani Taliban". They have claimed responsibility for numerous attacks within Afghanistan.

Did they launch attacks on the United States?

An attack on US forces IS an attack on the United States. The answer is yes!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Sadly, this doesn't surprise me but disappoints me terribly. It's so wrong to be spending our money anywhere but here to reduce our horrendous debt.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
and especially in a country that hates all that is western.

Apparently not everything... They seem to love our money....

I hope Congress kills this before it goes any farther.

new topics

top topics

join