It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran 'jails' US hikers for eight years for spying

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Quite a lenient sentence for espionage don't you think?

"Oh hello, Yeah, Ummm, We were just hiking the Iran Iraq border for fun"

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
What did the border look like? I hike slot and constanly pass over town lines, county lines and state lines and more often than no I never have any idea I've just crossed a boarder. Even when marked in the populated US it's just a tiny 5x3 sign.

So does Iran have the entirety of their boarder marked or fenced?

From my experience wandering across one of mans arbitrary boundaries is easy enough in a populated urban environment. While hiking in the middle of nowhere it's even easier.

If they just "wandered" across a 8 foot fence posted every 10 feet thats obviously different.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

I'm sure on Iran's version of Above Top Secret the title reads: Iran jails US 'hikers' for eight years for spying.

I wonder which one is correct?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

a whoange?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

If they ''are'' spies, they're equivalent to
Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys then ...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
What did the border look like?

Ever heard of GPS????????.

I hike slot and constanly pass over town lines, county lines and state lines and more often than no I never have any idea I've just crossed a boarder. Even when marked in the populated US it's just a tiny 5x3 sign.
your talking about state and county borders of which you are ALLOWED to pass between, so your point is invalid and so is your comparision between the two.
This is about the ILLEGAL border crossing between two nations that have been at war. And even after all these years of being neighbours they still dont like each other. This area of the world between Iran and Iraq is still one of the worlds most disputed borders and is still at war with each other.
So even an ignorant and stupid US spy, oops i meant Tourist Hikers would know this.
Or are american thats stupid? I dont think they are.
So even if i was to beleive the story of stupid american tourist hiking in a war torn area, you would think they would at least be smart enough to carry a GPS, just so they were aware of their position just so they wouldn't cross into such an area.
This whole story is about another CIA spying incident gone wrong.

So does Iran have the entirety of their boarder marked or fenced?

Yes it does.
Once again ever heard of GPS ( Global Positioning System)????

And other than being a spy, why the %$#@ would you want to be there?????? It aint the scenery that is foresure.

From my experience wandering across one of mans arbitrary boundaries is easy enough in a populated urban environment. While hiking in the middle of nowhere it's even easier.

Its obvious from your statements, that you get lost quite often.
Once again, ever heard of GPS? It sounds like you need it

If they just "wandered" across a 8 foot fence posted every 10 feet thats obviously different.

They didnt just wander past anything, they ventured in.
These people knew there objective and that was to SPY.
ILMAO that they were caught and that people still think that they were TOURIST. They are SPIES.
And to all those that are saying what a light sentence for an alledge spy, and why was the woman traded, well,,, your are definatly ignorant as you seem to forget the captured spy trade offs that the USA and Russia have been doing for years.

edit on 21-8-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by meathed
Ever heard of GPS????????

Ever had a GPS decide to s**t the bed on you? I've hiked with them as a civilian and used them in the Military quite a bit, and in both instances I've had them not work. So I wouldn't be putting all my eggs in the "GPS" basket.

I've hiked the US/Canadian border, and hiked around the German/Dutch border. In both cases, the border wasn't marked unless it was by a road, etc. So, if these chuckleheads were hiking in a remote area, there is a case for them to claim the border wasn't marked.

edit on 21-8-2011 by jerico65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Originally posted by againuntodust
They probably are spies.

The girl probably wasn't.

Seems like a light sentence though.

I agree. There spies on nearly every mountain pass and trail in the US each and every day! Just a few days ago, I saw a bunch of kids disguised as boy scouts... and knew for a fact their were spies.

We need Iran to arrest these types and toss them in the dungeon before the world is overrun!

Don't mock Iran. It's different when your country is literally surrounded by the armies of the most powerful nations on the planet and you KNOW they want to attack you. Don't act like they don't have anything to worry about. If I weren't such a nice person I would call you a fool.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Ever heard of GPS????????

Ever had a GPS decide to s**t the bed on you? I've hiked with them as a civilian and used them in the Military quite a bit, and in both instances I've had them not work. So I wouldn't be putting all my eggs in the "GPS" basket.

I've hiked the US/Canadian border, and hiked around the German/Dutch border. In both cases, the border wasn't marked unless it was by a road, etc. So, if these chuckleheads were hiking in a remote area, there is a case for them to claim the border wasn't marked.

edit on 21-8-2011 by jerico65 because: (no reason given)

Let me place your first question back on you.
Have you ever hiked with two other people and all your GPS"s S#@% on you??????????????????

And are any of the borders you hiked in disputed lands. No thought not.
I would love to see you hike from the US to the Mexican border or vice versa.
I bet you dont, as you know the likely out come to that.
So stop your nonesence

These were either Idiots or SPIES.
Im betting on Idiot spies

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
They deserve it.

That is what they get for leaving the homeland.

Fn dumdaz$es....................I cannot believe some of you feel sorry for them..........

They were "hiking: in a foreign war torn region

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
There is just something about the whole thing that doesn't add up. I have no idea if they're spies or not, but I do know that the US colleges produce way too many of these granola student types that think the whole world is some sort of research lab. They are naive and ignorant to think they can wander into some of these places of the world and take pictures. All so they can tell their friends back home at their cocktail parties how humanitarian and expansive they are in their world traveling ways. Welcome to the real world kids! Cheers.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by donbot1000

Yep. That's a lot of college students, sadly.

I actually don't know if it's bad or not, but I definitely cringe when I meet one that tells me about their world travel to a foreign nation to help people for whatever reason. Especially when they could be helping those in the US.

A little too sappy for me, I guess.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If they weren't spying for the CIA, then I look at it as somewhat Darwinian. Any body that stupid needs to be removed from the gene pool anyway.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by donbot1000
There is just something about the whole thing that doesn't add up. I have no idea if they're spies or not, but I do know that the US colleges produce way too many of these granola student types that think the whole world is some sort of research lab. They are naive and ignorant to think they can wander into some of these places of the world and take pictures. All so they can tell their friends back home at their cocktail parties how humanitarian and expansive they are in their world traveling ways. Welcome to the real world kids! Cheers.

Yeah but there SHOULDN'T be a problem with wandering the planet, viewing its natural wonders and telling those you know if it's beauty and grandeur. We should all be travelers and see how vastly different the Earth can be. The Earth IS a research lab. In fact, save for a few thousand satellites and a couple dozen manned rockets, everything humanity has ever done has taken place on Earth. We should be able to travel freely and share our knowledge and experiences. Or we could go sit back and wait patiently for death.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Why someone would want to hike in that region of the world is beyond me.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Isnt all this, "crossing the border" CRAP...working to the advantage of the NWO? If the NWO is to exist...isn't DIVISION a BIG part of the 'game'? You know, "DIVIDE and CONQUOR"??? These types of incidents is what's making us prisoners, in our own land. Soon, TRAVELING will be out of the question. Why have prisons...when you can just create BORDERS?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Why someone would want to hike in that region of the world is beyond me.

I agree.

If I want to go out for a stroll I am pretty sure I would never think, "Hey, ya know I think I'll just shuffle on over to the Iran/Iraq border for a change."

I don't imagine these loosers are bright enough to be spys...probably just real stupid.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Have you ever hiked with two other people and all your GPS"s S#@% on you?

As a matter of fact, yes, I have. Sucks.

And are any of the borders you hiked in disputed lands. No thought not.
I would love to see you hike from the US to the Mexican border or vice versa.
I bet you dont, as you know the likely out come to that.

Right. Crossing into Mexico from the US and vice-versa. Because that's a well guarded and well marked border. Freakin' steel trap!

My friend works Border Patrol in Texas. Guess what? The border isn't marked for it's entire length.

What's the outcome? I sneak into the US where I'll be given free medical care and the right to vote?

So stop your nonesence

Whatever.

These were either Idiots or SPIES.
Im betting on Idiot spies

I'm betting just idiots.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Have you ever hiked with two other people and all your GPS"s S#@% on you?

As a matter of fact, yes, I have. Sucks.

So you have been out hiking with two other people and all three of your GPS's have stopped working hey???.
(cough BS cough)
Your full of it

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

So you have been out hiking with two other people and all three of your GPS's have stopped working

Why so hard to believe, let me take a look at your posts and report back on things you will easily believe

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join