It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran 'jails' US hikers for eight years for spying

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ateuprto

Originally posted by Soshh

Originally posted by IsraeliGuy
So much hypocrisy it's funny.

I wonder what would be the reaction from you guys if a couple of Iranian hikers would get jailed in the US for "spying" without any reason other than "are they stupid enough to be here???".

Pff, Iran doesn't spy on anyone. If that happened then it would be one of those 'false flag' thingies that actually happen all of the time... allegedly.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. I hope so.

Iran is a fairly prosperous nation of decent people, controlled and represented by egotistical lunatics. Kind of rings a bell, for just about every nation on the planet.

They are certainly VERY active in the intelligence-gathering realm.
edit on 20-8-2011 by ateuprto because: (no reason given)

Yes I was being sarcastic.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
If they are truly spies why are they not executed? I'm surprised they are not executed for being spies since its by law in Iran. To teach others from spying in Iran.

the Iranians would want to use them as trading chips.
worth more alive.

in exchange for someone friendly to Iran.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze
Judging by the fact Iran has had a couple of its top nuclear scientists unlawfully assassinated, I'd say this makes them even.

Those hikers were definitely spies or they were extremely stupid.

Intresting... Got a link where it shows the Us was behind that.. I would like to read up on it.

Well we know it was not China nor Russia......who does that leave?
Maybe the Bahamas?

Regards, Iwinder

Or Pakistani ISI who is opposed to a nuclear armed Iran... Or Saudi Arabia who is opposed to a nuclear armed Iran.. Or Jordan who is opposed to a nuclear armed Iran... Or North Korea because they felt they didnt get what they paid for when Iran helped them with their program, hell maybe even Iran themselves.

Recently Ahmadinejad got into it with the aytollah over their nucler program (among many other issues those 2 are having). In the process the ayatollah removed the Minister appointed by Ahmadeneijad and that ministry from being invovled in the nuke program.

the Ayatollah has placed control of that portion into the hands of the Iranian Guards.

If the scientists are loyal to Ahminidejad, or even the Ayatollah, we could easily assume it was an internal power play to deny whichever side access to their information, and replace them with loyal scientists to which ever side.

Man.. conspiracy theories are fun when you dont have to use facts to support claims.

/end sarcasm

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

He you go.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Iran is pretty convinced it was the US and Israel, who else would it be?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Or Pakistani ISI who is opposed to a nuclear armed Iran... Or Saudi Arabia who is opposed to a nuclear armed Iran.. Or Jordan who is opposed to a nuclear armed Iran... Or North Korea because they felt they didnt get what they paid for when Iran helped them with their program, hell maybe even Iran themselves.

Yes and we know that Pakistan right now is in love with the States, ahem....Saudi Arabia/Jordan jump when the States say jump.
North Korea that is really pushing it, how bad would a Korean stand out in Iran? If they were North Korean they would be watched like no tomorrow.
Sorry you know and we all know here who did the dirty deed.
Brings to mind the CIA asset who committed an assassination in Pakistan only to get caught.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Of all the places on Gods green earth to hike!
Iran?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

Visit americabash.org where you will be welcomed with open arms.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
To those people Crapping themselves at my apparent "anti hippie" remark........IT WAS SARCASTIC........
What's up sheeple indeed.

By the way, my Dad and mom were both hippies and I turned out just fine.

Carry on
Thank you.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

The trio - all graduates of the University of California, Berkeley - had travelled to Iraqi Kurdistan for a week's holiday. They had visited the tourist village of Ahmed Awa, and hiked along a trail local residents had recommended, Ms Shourd said.

from the article

Sounds innocent enough. Maps aren't totally accurate and borders can be difficult to discern in mountainous terrrain, with or without GPS at hand. They may be spies, they may not. No one here truly knows for sure, and if they do, they aren't saying anything.

Sounds to me like they got what they wanted out of Ms. Shourd, so they let her go. The "humanitarian and medical reasons" excuse is just a front, imo.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
And I am not going to burn the flag of the govt which I love this Friday.

P33s.

American govt is not going to keep her head in her own god damn business. The invasions are still continuing to start by US G .

We shall free Qods this Friday. There is no place for Zionists in the middle east.

We are going to stone obelisk as Muslims were doing in Mecca .

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fedaefb78613.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Take A Hike

Originally posted by scobro
Iran?

It was either that or Afghanistan, Somalia, North Korea, Columbia, Sudan or the Gaza Strip, and they were all booked up.

Seeing as how there is absolutely no other place on earth where the hiking is any good, that pretty much forced their hand.

I imagine after they get out of prison, they will probably want to take a nice, relaxing vacation in scenic Ciudad Juarez, Mexico to unwind.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Some of the comments in this thread are just bizarre.

Maybe some people would be surprised to know that Amercians can and do visit Iran.

As to hiking in Iraq and in or around Iran - some of the most amazing archeological sites in the entire world (and some of the oldest) exist in this area. Cradle of civilization type stuff. At least, the sites that haven't been destroyed by wars.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
out of all the land on this planet.. they just had to hike there?... yea right!

spies.. nuff said.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
so what if they spoke the native language? most "well educated" people often speak the language to where they travel to.

that said if they were indeed "hippies" could have been they didnt beleive all the "hype" about iran.

and now they do.

now if indeed they were spies why would the let the woman go? furthermore if they were spies theres no way any of the rest of us would ever even know that they had ever been captured.

i do agree tho hiking in the middle east is about as smart as walking in a land mine field.

if they were that stupid then............its on them
edit on 20-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Take A Hike

Originally posted by scobro
Iran?

It was either that or Afghanistan, Somalia, North Korea, Columbia, Sudan or the Gaza Strip, and they were all booked up.

Seeing as how there is absolutely no other place on earth where the hiking is any good, that pretty much forced their hand.

Iranian nation has shown that is not fond of capitalism . Read some history book.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Iran So Far Away

Originally posted by quango
Maybe some people would be surprised to know that Amercians can and do visit Iran.

Indeed. It's even possible for Americans to visit Kish Island without a visa.

For the rest of Iran, however, it can be kind of complicated, and it can be especially thorny for people who have any sort of Iranian ancestry (little things like being conscripted into the military and whatnot).

My own comments are admittedly somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but the very fact that this thread exists should prove beyond all reasonable doubt that unscheduled travel to Iran can be rather perilous for Americans, and even though Americans can indeed visit Iran if all the paperwork is in order, it's not necessarily a risk-free proposition under even the most innocuous of circumstances.

Personally, I would prefer that relations between the two countries be better, but do they ever ask me? No, they don't.

And that's why there's so much trouble.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

What American, in their right mind, would go to Iraq to hike? And how the hell did they decide to go hiking in Iraq? Damn, can I even get a flight out of JFK to Iraq these days? Seriously, wtf? And they just happened to get lost and ended up hiking in Iran?
There's so much to this story that is wrong.

edit on 21-8-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

What American, in their right mind, would go to Iraq to hike? And how the hell did they decide to go hiking in Iraq? Damn, can I even get a flight out of JFK to Iraq these days? Seriously, wtf? And they just happened to get lost and ended up hiking in Iran?

These people do not analyze. they just accept.

They think with themselves that " we are Americans . we decide where to go and were not to go "

edit on 21/8/11 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by hmdphantom

Originally posted by Swills

These people do not analyze. they just accept.

They think with themselves that " we are Americans . we decide where to go and were not to go "

edit on 21/8/11 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

Your stereotypes and slander do not go unheeded. If you have a legitimate point to make about a given subject it shouldn't require baseless slander and generalizations that are actually quite far from reality. I'm not opposed to your views as much as your delivery and blind hatred.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

The US would do the same if Iranians where taking pictures of anything in America too.

LOL! You must be joking, my neighbors are Iranian, they take lots of pictures in the U.S.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join