It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

second line. Uh what?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Why do people seem to put "second line" in their post? What does it mean?

For example:

"I went such and such place and did such and such

second line"

Um what? lol. This is the only forum site I have seen that in. Doesn't make much sense to me.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SigilOfLux

Writing "second line" is a way of obeying the letter and evading the spirit of the forum rule that members should not make short "one line" posts.
Apparently some moderators find the practice annoying.
Better to write something substantial.
Fifth line.

edit on 20-8-2011 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

As above ^

2nd line

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Thanks for the explanation.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The second line rule is pointless mostly because people ignore it with this loophole and because sometimes you can get your point across in one line.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Typing in

second line

is NOT following the rule at all. It merely shows everyone you realize you have a minimal post.
It's not about the number of lines in a post...it is the content.

Perhaps this will help:

--Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

edit on Sat Aug 20 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
As above ^

Content is Everything IMO.
A simple single line stating....

"Yeah man" or "That was awesome" doesn't really contributing anything really of substance or value to the discussion or debate. In which case if one feels the need to give credit or praise in that manner a private U2U message to said poster would be more appropriate.

However, a single one sentence reply if on topic that contributes to the flow of the thread and discussion and or debate is not the same thing I believe.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
As we have tried to point out over and over and over again, to the apparent inability of some members to grasp, one-line posts are fine, as long as they actually contribute something meaningful to the discussion, making the "2nd line" phenomenon little more than lightweight trolling.

2nd line.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
actually, thanks for clearing this up. there have been a few times within a thread that i have wanted to ask a question to a poster for clarification purposes or for further detail regarding their post, but the question would only have been one line (with no way to stretch and drag it out to be a two lines) and i have refrained from doing so - or ended up sitting there for an extra ten minutes trying to figure out what else i can say in my question post to make it a longer post. seemed awfully complicated just to partake in a discussion.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I have been wondering about this. What if someone doesn't understand and asks one liner questions like.

"Can you rephrase?"
2nd line (i think you get the idea by now). But I agree, simple comments like "nice thread" is just clogging up posts and makes it hard for people to get to the comments worth reading so I can understand why this rule was placed.

Originally posted by Majic
As we have tried to point out over and over and over again, to the apparent inability of some members to grasp, one-line posts are fine, as long as they actually contribute something meaningful to the discussion, making the "2nd line" phenomenon little more than lightweight trolling.

2nd line.

I think you answered my question, sorry i jumped over your post X_X
edit on 20-8-2011 by RisenAngel77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I have observed that the second line ...er line may be an invitation for multiple account holders
to seamlessly post their punch lines?
Of course the most creative can simply summon assistance by willpower, and hey presto an ally in the comedic spher use PM messages to get asssistance, but personally Iam a lone wolf who howls and answers only my enemies or friends not my howling divided self.
It is bringing up a conspiracy that some are multiples, but Iam not even worthy to kiss their star count?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SigilOfLux

You forgot to put "second line".
Second line

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeramie

Originally posted by SigilOfLux

You forgot to put "second line".
Second line

I'll do it for him.
Second line.
Third line.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
i feel like its kinda cheesy "2nd line"
its like yeah i know im not doing much.. Or haHA mods cant get me... I wrote second line as thay go to high five a buddy that does not exist lol...
If i dont have much to say but i really wanna add it . I just go for it no need to write that 2nd waste of bandwith
wher my dogs at?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
its meant to cut down on replies that consist of "lol" or something equally pointless. They want posts to be made of more than one line, which is easy if you ramble...(lol)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
They are against people who can make a point in a single statement.

Clearly.

top topics

join