It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Times The Fire Power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The US navy has developed a new type of explosive material that can drastically increase the impact of any current missiles.

Full story here. www.bbc.co.uk...

What good applications could this be used for, apart from more destruction?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

You answered your own question.

But in terms of demolition work, this may be a less expensive route to take when bringing a building down to make way for new construction.

At the moment, I can't think of anything explosives do well, except destroy things.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

US Navy scientists say that projectiles made from the new compound are less likely to kill innocent bystanders.

Incredible! Missiles that can detect your innocence or lack thereof and kill you or just wound you a little bit accordingly! Just amazing, beautiful.

What they should've wrote: 5 times likely to kill a person and will hopefully kill around 5 times the amount of people (on a good day).

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Well the US Office of Naval Research must be very pleased with themselves.

Maybe i am stupid, but I am having trouble in understanding that if they have increased the explosive effect of their wonderous new catastophic kill missile, how are less innocent bystanders going to survive?

Anyway, they seem quite proud with themselves, so good on 'em, I hope they don't have to much trouble intergrating their amazing new killing technique into other weapons. Pity about the M16 being somewhat incompatable with the new tech.

I am sure this should make all the innocent people that end up in the US firing line feel much safer.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by undead trev

Maybe i am stupid, but I am having trouble in understanding that if they have increased the explosive effect of their wonderous new catastophic kill missile, how are less innocent bystanders going to survive?

I believe you meant to say 'how are less inncent bystanders going to die?"

Well the article actually explains that when read all the way through.
The casing material of the warhead will no longer be made of steel, which explodes in every direction on impact, sending shrapnel towards unintended targets. It will be made of a reactive material, whereby the casing will actually be consumed in a chemical reaction upn impact, decreasing the amount of shrapnel sent towards the unintended targets.

With the reactive material missile, you have the same explosive launch - however, it disintegrates within the target and liberates chemical energy, and this chemical and kinetic energy combined gives you the enhanced effect

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Can't be any worse than George W. Bush'es former Secretary of Defense- Donald R. Rumsfeld- failed push for a concrete bunker buster thermonuclear warhead.

"The evil that men do"

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Oh thanks, you are correct, I did mean to say 'how are less innocent people going to die'.

As for the rest of your comment, I did read the full article. Also looked for more information.

Let us hope US budget restraints do not stop this wonderous weapon, it is certainly is a step up on ways
to annihalate enemy targets, and we can all see how much the US military cares about innocent people being
killed, their latest war creations show great restraint and caring about others.

All of us here in the civilized west understand the need for more expensive and controlled destruction.
5 times the energy of current armaments, that's just great.

This enhanced effect should be most useful hey.

Where is the emoticon that shows my hand sweeping over my head, crikey.
edit on 20-8-2011 by undead trev because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

I am not sure the USA needs more explosive power these days...Though this will I imagine make it easier for manufacturers to get the the same bang for less bucks.
As with all thing military though,it will soon be acquired by the Russians/Chinese who will copy it and so what will have been the point in the first place?

Hmm

new topics

top topics

join