It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seychelles shark attack: Fishermen hunting the killer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Seychelles fisherman have joined the hunt for the shark that killed 30-year-old Briton Ian Redmond, from Lancashire, who had been honeymooning with wife, Gemma.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Long story short... Within the last two months two people have been attacked and killed by sharks. The same shark (possibly a Bull Shark) is said to be responsible and so local hotel managers, fearing for their trade, have placed a bounty on the head of the shark.
Local fishermen have taken to the seas and swapped their usual fishing for Shark hunting.

Now, while i can see that this is a tragic event, and while i can sympathise with the hotel managers loss in earning, is this really the solution??

These creatures are doing what come naturally in their own domain; we invade their domain for pleasure and expect these wild creatures to behave themselves?? Crazy!!

I love swimming in the sea but I except the risks. I said to my wife that if i was ever killed by a sea creature please DO NOT allow people to go on some kind of vengeance hunt.

You get in the ocean, you know the risk.

Damn, what’s next, drain the oceans because someone drowned. Life is with risks people, deal with it.

It is like something out of the movie Jaws. I hope the people of the Seychelles see sense and turn this to their advantage rather than fight against nature in this way. They could be arranging shark trips on boats and diving expeditions to view these amazing creatures (which are already under enormous stress) in their natural environment.

I would just like to add that I do sympathise with the victims, it is tragic, but we can’t just keep on stomping on everything that gets in our way.

Peace

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Why hunt the thing that belongs there?

Why not just not swim in that area?

Answer from a fellow snorkeler:

I do not need to be faster than you. I only need to swim faster than the slowest swimmer.....
edit on 20-8-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
The animals are getting hungry. It's their primal instinct to kill in their own territory. Shark attacks are becoming much more talked about in the news lately.. not wanting to go off topic but look at the polar bear incident in Svaalbarg the other week. If they can't get food from their source chain, they'll just get what they can I guess. It was a tragic story re this last attack. Poor woman on her honeymoon and the events just days later.

Rings the plot from the first Jaws film doesn't it.. and now I can hear the 'You're gonna need a bigger boat!' line.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by smash_the_system
The animals are getting hungry.

Yep, because before this incident they had been feeding from what?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I know it's difficult to transport sharks but it's a shame that more can't be relocated where they don't pose a threat.

Somethings wrong since that shark in Seychelles was off it's migratory path. What I don't know. Habitat loss, people over-fishing therefore little food... shark really wanted a meal and sadly might pay with it's life.

Yes, couldn't agree more, if one goes into the ocean or camping in bear country must accept the risks. We've already pushed them out of much of their territory, killed so many, can't really blame the animals to have aggression towards us and pick off a few humans.

I knew a guy that got bit by a great white, he has a really good attitude about it, even wrote a book -

dontfeartheshark.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
if it's one shark targeting humans, then i'd say it should be killed. a random attack is one thing, but a jaws-esque scenario should be put to an end.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
How will they know when they have the 'guilty' shark?

Or will they just murder any 'innocent' shark they find?

It is common knowledge that sharks are predators and ALL OF THEM live in the ocean, and they never come out of it to intrude on our lives like we do theirs.

Don't want to risk getting eaten by a shark then stay out of the water

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Ridiculous, homo-centric, and revealing the total lack of respect that the human species has towards other inhabitants of the planet. If one chooses to vacation, dive, or invade an ecosystem that contains predators, one has to accept the dangers, and occasional "displeasures", of such a decision.
The shark is being a shark, doing what a shark does, in it's natural environment. The humans in question are mere invaders, and should be prepared to expect the consequences of their decisions...

To be fair, I have listened to the interview of the wife of the bloke that was killed and, in spite of being newlywed, and on her honeymoon, she revealed no ill-will towards the shark, and opposed any revenge. She did criticize the Tourist Commission, for occulting the fact that there are deadly animals in those waters, no just sharks.

Anybody promoting "shark-hunts", and other revenge tactics, in that region, is an ecological terrorist, and should be fed to the shark he/she wants to kill. Unfortunately, like always, the economic factor is going to have it's way, and the managers of tourist dependent industries will have their blood-bath.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Same "solutions" where applied to the European, and American Wolf...almost killed into extinction, to preserve the economic interests of the few...Now, we are paying billions, every years, to bring the populations, of wolves, back to their original environment.

Humans are truly a virulent species...we only know how to destroy, occupy, and exploit.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Bull Sharks are a mysterious misunderstood shark.

The only shark to venture inland up fresh water rivers and often into suburban areas.

They will often pass through an area, but rarely live in the one spot.

They attack a lot of humans in The Ganges in India,and in The Amazon, thousands of km from the sea.

Some swan right down the isle in a suburban Mc Donalds in Queensland recently during the floods.

They are safe to dive amongst even in large numbers.

But like any shark if it gets a taste for a good feed it may return there, if it can remember.

The Swan River in Perth is full of Bulls, but attacks are rare.

Never swim in murky River Mouths comfortably. Large Bulls are rumoured to become preditory especially toward dogs and smaler animals, but will attack a human in confined water courses.

top topics

join