It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't forget Nietzsche.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
The man was obviously nuts, and/or on drugs.

Do you think that any god would permit mere mortals to kill him?

Come on.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by FioDeus22
reply to post by ztruthseeker

Your then saying mankind never existed.

Good post OP.

Did that make sense to you before you decided to post it?

Originally posted by Ariele
reply to post by ztruthseeker

If i tell you that wind doesn't exist either..would you believe me? You dont see the wind, but you feel it right?
So who are YOU to say that god doesn't exist?

This is a terrible example, for the wind is detectable, and follows the laws of physics. A better example for your argument would have been love. This argument to has been refuted, look it up.

Originally posted by fooks
reply to post by OldRepublic22

you do know this idiot is dead, right?

you know that is way out of date? must suck to be you.

welcome to the past idiot.

commie chump

Stating the obvious that he is dead, does not take away anything from his concepts. Calling people names does nothing for your argument, and only hints at the level of your intelligence. Please try to contribute more.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
The man was obviously nuts, and/or on drugs.

Do you think that any god would permit mere mortals to kill him?

Come on.

Some of you are taking this madman with a lantern bit so literally...

It's a metaphor man. To explore a philosophical idea...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OldRepublic22

lame

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
such ignorance here on display

i'll bet none of you have ever read "Thus Spake Zarathustra" which is all you really need to understand his philosophy,
his previous writings were all leading up to "...Zarathustra", and the writings that followed were commentary.

also the man lived most of his life in a state of chronic pain, to be able to have written and worked as he did shows that he practiced what he preached, a rarity in his vocation:

"Behold, i teach you the Superman, man is something to be overcome, what have you done to overcome him?"

concerning The Superman*:

"there has never been, is no, and never will be a Superman, we are merely bridges"

like Siddhartha, Nietzsche taught that only we can only save ourselves, as the concept of universal salvation, be it spiritual or otherwise, is a chimera.

i think very funny that many accuse him of being a proto-nazi, just because the nazis, starting with his brother in law, hijacked and perverted his philosophy.

these same people then ignore that the same could be said of christianity and western politics.

meanwhile doing nothing to overcome their current conditions.

*Übermensch also translated as Overman or The Superior (Hu)Man
edit on 20-8-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit

edit on 20-8-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

gods, by self-definition,
do not Live,
but merely Exist.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Nietzsche was just articulating an ancient philosophy already present in many esoteric traditions..

In anycase, how did Nietzsche fare against his superman ideal??

Was he wildly succesful? Did he become the strong and powerful power of will that he desired to be??

Or did he, ironically, become that weakness he hated so much???

Point for God.

No man is a god. We are always beneath the One creator.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It's always easier to say how one should be or how one should live their life. Not as easy to actually execute the ideals. Nietszche simply regurgitated a lot of prior philosophy, but what philosopher doesn't? Many have grand ideas of life and existence, some can just articulate it better than others.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Greatest Nietzsche quote ever, and possibly greatest quote ever:

Insanity in individuals is oftentimes rare, but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs, it is the rule.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

i'll bet none of you have ever read "Thus Spake Zarathustra" which is all you really need to understand his philosophy.

Your post would have received a star from me if you had not said this.

Zarathustra certainly represents a distillation of Nietzsche’s philosophical thought, but it is all too easily misunderstood. It is (relatively) easy reading because it wraps his ideas up in parables that read like some pseudo-religious text. However, this parabolic style makes it easy for people to read their own ideas into Nietzsche’s words and come away (as Hitler did) with an entirely erroneous idea of what is being said.

It is partly due to Zarathustra that Nietzsche is one of the most misunderstood philosophers in the world.

A far better – more explicit and completely realized – summary of Nietzsche’s perfected philosophy can be found in Beyond Good and Evil, which was published a year after Zarathustra. If anyone really wishes to understand what this most readable and exciting of philosophers was saying, that is the book to read.

Thus Spake Zarathustra is the last thing one should read, after one has fully grasped Nietzsche’s thinking from reading his other works. It is a primarily a work of art, to be appreciated for its beauty and emotional intensity as much as for the power and daring of Nietzsche’s thought.

By the way, this thread is in the wrong place; I'm going to ask for it to be moved to the Philosophy forum.

edit on 22/8/11 by Astyanax because: of power and daring.

<< 1   >>

join